Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is when you wash them - No soap, armour all, or anything!

I guess just water :eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
[quote:677b0f85c4="tapestry"]That is when you wash them - No soap, armour all, or anything!

I guess just water :eek:[/quote:677b0f85c4]

Same as my reply in the other post:

I'm going to have to call BS on that guy, haven't heard anyone on this board complain of that (and there's way more elements on this board than that sales guy has ever seen). I think the only concern is keeping wax off of it and trying to find a protectant to keep it "like new"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote:a6b93c381c="firetruck41"]I'm going to have to call BS on that guy, haven't heard anyone on this board complain of that (and there's way more elements on this board than that sales guy has ever seen). I think the only concern is keeping wax off of it and trying to find a protectant to keep it "like new"[/quote:a6b93c381c]

I would say BS too, but he told me that a customer came back with pitted body panels and Honda replaced them. He said the damage was caused by some kind of soap the guy used and that Honda told him to tell future customers not to use anything on them!

I dont know. I have just washed with water and have had no problems.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If the vehicle is washed correctly - top down- it is nigh impossible to keep soap off the cladding. I love it when people at the dealership who don't know s*** talk as if they know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote:01501de84e="Slowhand"]If the vehicle is washed correctly - top down- it is nigh impossible to keep soap off the cladding. I love it when people at the dealership who don't know s*** talk as if they know what they are talking about.[/quote:01501de84e]

I agree! no way to keep soap off. I read between the lines, though. The custy prob used some kind of polish or something on them that ruined them but told the sales guy he just used soap. Anyway, his panels got RUINED by whatever he used (we can prob be safe to agree that it wasnt soap!)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have washed our element with carwash soap several times, no pitting, discoloration, etc. Panels are still like new. If it were truly a problem Honda would notify all dealers and warn all owners as it would be very expensive for them to replace all plastic body panels on every element that goes through a carwash or gets washed by it's owner w/soap (every element ever produced, except yours Tapestry :D ) I agree w/tapestry, the owner of the E w/pitting, probably got some kind of chemical on it trying to remove scratches/wax residue or something.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Who on earth would make a body panel out of a material that is damaged by mere soap? That's complete BS.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When I was a little kid I used to tell Mom that soap was bad for me when she told me take a bath, but she never believed me :cry:

·
Registered
914 Posts
The wax/polish on the bumper wouldn't warrant replacing the panels would it? Maybe Honda should have just used PB for the panels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe they put their body panels on the bottom shelf of the dishwasher, because that's what happens to my plastic bowls everytime I accidentally do that.. :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:lol: [/quote]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow. If half this stuff is true we would have been far better off with regular sheet metal fenders. I use Meguilar's self drying car wash (self dry is really just a water sheeting action, but it works well with one of those California squeegee blade things). I have had no problem with the composites so far. i am careful to not wax them, but a little spill over is usually easy to clean off. I use that Z-something wax I got from Costco. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:b826ddc9b1="ElementalWon"]Zymol? Comes in a baby blue bottle?[/quote:b826ddc9b1]

Yes, that's it. Goes on easy and doesn't streak. Comes off easy too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Someone should show that salesperson the 2003 Element sales brochure. There is a picture of a dude clearly getting soap on his panels while he is washing his car/clothes. Doesn't the "dude" know he's destroying his panels? :roll: Chalk this one up to one of those insane things salespersons say...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got some wax on the rear plastic panel. I scrubbed it with (arghh!) armour all tire foam. It looked great for about 2 weeks. While on my road Trip-Northern Ontario- the wax appeared to be back. Worse than I remembered!
A kind and might I add smart dude at the Detailing shop offered to fix it for free. He used some spray cleaner(no I don't know what kind. But nothing special) and a medium hard brush. While I cringed in horror I saw the wax disappear. it is totally gone and I am a verry happy man. He also used a vinyl spray on the panels that I am convinced was made by a genius. The panels repel bugs and clean so easily that I am amazed.
I thought I would use nothing on the panels but I am an avid supporter of these lexol vinylex type sprays now [/b]SOLD 8)

·
Registered
87 Posts
E-Rich said:
Wow. If half this stuff is true we would have been far better off with regular sheet metal fenders. Sheet metal fenders would have given the element extremely poor fuel economy and engine performance.
THe purpose of the composite is to make the vehicle as light as posible, hence... only 200 lbs heavier than the crv and give it the upmost fuel economy ever. :idea:

·
Registered
183 Posts
aloha
use creamy peanut butter to clean off wax on the panels, it's been discussed in detail here,,,, having used it myself, I never leave home without it (PB) :lol:
scotty

·
Registered
285 Posts
this comes form my dealers parts dept.

Honda is offering a new plastic panel coating. they claim it will cover up minor scratches and scuffs in the element's plastic cladding.

they also point out it covers up scratches and scuffs, it will not eliminate them, the coating wears off over time and the scratches will become visible again, they suggest re application when the car is waxed.

the issue date of the bulletin is 8-12-03 it comes in a 4oz spray can.
the honda part number is 08732-9011 and i think suggested retail at that time is 7.75 a can.

hope this was informative.

best!
D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts