Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've tried searching and haven't seen this exact issue addressed.

I've started driving to Lake Tahoe this year,so the snow is usually "wet" and the temperatures are usually in the upper 20s to low 30s. I'm seeing excessive ice buildup on the bottom of my windshield under the wiper. It is most prevalent on the drivers side, although it does happen on the passengers side also. It will also buildup on the sides of the windshield between the trim and windshield itself.

I have the Bosch Icon blades installed which seem to work really well, until the ice buildup at which point they start to ice up and just streak my window. I've tried defrosting with both hot air which seemed to cause a lot of buildup quickly and cold air (after initial hot air) which caused the buildup to happen more slowly, but still buildup.

My initial thinking was defrosting/cabin temperature issues, which does have an affect but didn't seem to solve the problem.

I have noticed the vent trim piece at the bottom of the windshield has a 90 degree shelf where it contacts the windshield. I'm pretty sure this is where the slush/ice is starting it's initial buildup at.

So, any one else encounter this problem and if so do you have a suggestion as to how to remedy it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, Chasingcool. Are you using antifreeze washer fluid?
Thanks for the welcome. I've been a long time lurker I know :)

Yeah, I'm using a 2:1 mix of cold weather washer fluid, which should be good to 0F. I was able to spray the windshield with it during this time, but it only helped for a couple wipes until the blades picked up fresh ice/slush and smeared it across the windshield again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had the same experience, it really got my attention on trying to keep the windshield clean. We drive from Los Angeles to Colorado several times a month during the winter to ski. The section in Utah almost always has heavy snow, ice and slush. Our wiper fluid froze and we could not get the windshield clean enough to see through. After tailgating other vehicles to get some fresh water on the windshield, we made it to a gas station and heated up the sprayers, pumped out the warm weather fluid and filled up with -25F fluid. We also replaced our stock windshield wipers with expensive Rain X (I was shaking too hard to worry about the $25 apiece blades!) and covered the windshield with RainX liquid. So far so good. We have been able to keep the windshield clean through all conditions including being behind the snow plow/ gravel/mud trucks on Vail Pass. We do still get accumulation under the wipers, but it has not caused any issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is it true that the mixture windshield washer fluid will discolor your car over time? I was advised against using it for that reason, so I have stuck with the traditional. If it is fine, then I am about to race out and get some! Thanks, doggyrl

·
Registered
2 Posts
It did it for me too this winter. The passenger side ice/snow gets pushed to the drivers side, then the drivers side pushes it down and it just continues to build up on the drivers side and eventually building up around the wipers and they become useless. I end up pulling over to remove the snow and ice.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I had a problem with ice buildup until I buffed it clean, treated it with RainX, switched to a dual rated NoBug/No Ice washer fluid, and replaced the wiper blades. I also stopped turning on the cabin fan until after the engine thermostat reads normal operating temperature.

Dunno for sure which thing did the trick (probably the last one), but we've have colder, wetter weather since then and no recurrence. :)

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Is it true that the mixture windshield washer fluid will discolor your car over time? I was advised against using it for that reason, so I have stuck with the traditional. If it is fine, then I am about to race out and get some! Thanks, doggyrl
No, but if you are worried, you could try adding a few (2-3) drops of food coloring per gallon of washer fluid to make the fluid color match your paint.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Know this is an older post but maybe it could help out a few have a safer/pleasant drive during winter months:

Wipe your windshield wipers a few swipes! They can be cleaned and used a very long time when cared for.
70% bottle of Alcohol for windshield reservoir to raise freezing temp.
Spray bottle vinegar & water mix prevent and melt ice build up all glass surfaces.
Windshield fan blasting HIGH heat.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Know this is an older post but maybe it could help out a few have a safer/pleasant drive during winter months:

Wipe your windshield wipers a few swipes! They can be cleaned and used a very long time when cared for.
70% bottle of Alcohol for windshield reservoir to raise freezing temp.
Spray bottle vinegar & water mix prevent and melt ice build up all glass surfaces.
Windshield fan blasting HIGH heat.
wouldn't it be better to lower the freezing temperature?

<grin>

·
Registered
344 Posts
wouldn't it be better to lower the freezing temperature?

<grin>
I've used a few low freezing windshield washer fluid from gas stations around tahoe during the winter months and it hasn't worked too well for me, I always keep a few 70% Isopropyl Alcohol bottles in my first aid kit so it doubles up if needed :food004:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts