Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C is working great, (got a rebuilt compressor installed last summer) but recently I've developed an occasional idle surge when the air is on, usually on a hot day after I've been driving a while.
It fluctuates between 600 and 900 about every 3 seconds, whether I am stopped at a light or sitting with the car in park.
As soon as I turn off the A/C the idle straightens out.

I tried de-carbonizing the engine but haven't done anything more substantial than that.
Swap out the IAC? Adjust the valves? It's got a little of that "sewing machine" noise going on, maybe that's the culprit?
There's got to be some switch that bumps up RPM when the A/C comes on, do those go bad like this?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I'm not an A/C tech so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pitch a suggestion - but the rapidly switching idle speed sounds like your system is running low on gas. (Assuming it was running properly before this started.) You can get the same behavior from overcharging too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update to post

I just realized something funny about my A/C issue: It seems like it actually only happens when I shift into park. When I am driving and stopped at a light it doesn't happen. Which makes no sense? Took me awhile to notice this, since the problem is intermittent to begin with, and I've been avoiding using the A/C.:|

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Except that it only occurs with the A/C on, as soon as I turn off the A/C the idle straightens out. Still thinking about replacing the IAC though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Turn on the a/c open the hood and look to see if the a/c clutch is turning on and off. WHen the a/c turns on the engine should speed up. The clutch turning on and off quickly sounds like you may be low on refrigerant.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same problem but my AC gas is correct level. I did just change out the IAC valve (not Honda brand), adjust the valves, rebuild the cylinder head. Runs perfect with AC off. With AC on it sill go 600-900 rpm at stop/park but not all the time. Crazy Ellie!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts