Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start my E in the morning, it idles pretty high until it gets good and warm. Usually idles around 1500 rpm. I have a long driveway with a slight incline and the E will go right on up the driveway without me ever touching the accelerator. After it gets good and warm, it drops down to the expected 800 rpm. I would expect this in cold weather but we are talking 80 degrees or higher where I live. All other cars I have owned did not idle at a higher speed when first started in the summer. Could some of you let me know how your E idles when it is first started for the day.

Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's normal, doesn't matter the outside temp, just the engine temp. The engine high idles to get to operating temp quickly, just takes longer when it gets colder outside. 80 degrees is still cold compared to normal engine temp, so if it has been sitting all night and "cooled" to 80 degrees it will high idle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was just concerned because several other cars I have owned have not done the high idle in the summer time. In fact, my wife has an Acura 3.2TL and I checked it this morning. It started out idling at 800rpm. No high idle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is usually reffered to as a cold start, alot of cars these days are built to idle high until the engine reaches the ideal running temprature. As the others listed nothing to worry about. As for your acura not having this kind of surprises me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one, It sure takes off when It's first started... like it's saying "GIDDY UP" I thought it was a problem.. thanks for the input

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is the first Honda I had that does that, kinda surprises me when leaving the parking lot at work. People must think I hate my job or something :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same concern. My E will actually shift to second gear in a matter of seconds on a flat surface. I was told this was normal but still find it kind of odd. I have never had an automatic do this before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts