Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I tried to start my car a couple of days ago, and found that the key would not go into the ignition completely, so it would not start. The steering column was not locked. I tried to jiggle it, but was unsuccessful at inserting the key. So I had to have my car towed to the Honda dealer. The dealer tells me I will need a new ignition, the car re-keyed, and some work on the steering column. The grand total is 727.00.

My car has approximately 30,000 miles on it, but because the service rep cannot start the car to check the mileage on it, it's not clear whether it will be covered or not. He said it may be covered by warranty, but he won't know until he can see the mileage. Frankly, I'm hoping that Honda will cover these issues, because this is just the last of many repairs I have had to do to the car, and it has very low mileage to have these issues.

Any idea if this will be covererd in a recall? My brother is in the automotive industry and he says that several cars have had this issue. I've also found stories that the Honda Pilot has had this trouble.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,822 Posts
Sounds like a simple mechanical problem with the lock, unrelated to the ignition system. I can't imagine why replacing the lock cylinder would cost $700.

Fill out your profile so we know what version of Element you have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You cant just replace the cylinder it's part of a ignition /immobilizer assembly.
Honda did comp the parts when my 05 ignition failed this spring.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Does anyone know offhand (so I don't have to go out in the cold and look) if Honda put the lock pins at the top of the cylinder like it should be or on the bottom like GM did when they had so much trouble?

·
Registered
590 Posts
they come in from the top and the bottom.

had someone in a civic come in with a sticky ign cylinder, touch of lube and it was jammed solid. removed the Halo, and cylinder and a few of the tumblers had failed and were stuck out b/c they were not contacting the key. i removed and inspected all of them and threw a few on the bench and put it back together and got the customer back on the road. did it for free and he brought me back some cookies. did some looking and to rekey and adapt the car you were looking at $700-1k worth of work after programming the car to the keys. not pretty....

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,822 Posts
I guess I'm out of sync with today's prices. This is what Majestic shows.

2049449 001 001 CYLINDER SET, KEY *NH167L* GRAPHITE BLACK 306.10 217.33
2049450 001 001 CYLINDER SET, KEY *NH361L* CF GRAY 306.10 217.33

These are complete units including lock immobilizer unit, electrical switch and new keys. The switch and immobilizer unit collectively cost about $90.

The "cheap" way out would be to reuse the existing keys and immobilizer, and have a locksmith re-key the new ignition cylinder to fit your existing keys before you installed it. This would eliminate the reprogramming cost and messing with the door locks. If it were me, I'd re-use the original electrical switch and then try to sell the new switch, immobilizer/keys on eBay.

Good luck with your repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts