Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Element ex awd
Looks like my tumbler/ignition is worn out. I will need to replace it. Looked at the videos, not to bad of a procedure. I have questions though
1. Replace the whole unit that bolts on or just the ignition cylinder?
2 Is better to buy a whole unit used?
3 If i use the immobilizer ring from E do I need to have it reprogrammed for new key?
4 If I have to reprogram the key, can a locksmith do it or is this a dealer only job?
5 has anybody purchase the $109 HDS tool and used it successfully to reprogram keys?
6 How much can I expect to pay for reprogramming from a dealer/locksmith
Thank you in advance, I appreciate your time

·
Registered
997 Posts
How worn out is the key itself? Is it possible a new key would be able to push all the tumblers and fix the problem?

·
Registered
2005 LX or EX ? I should really look
89 Posts
1. Just the ignition cylinder should do.
2. ???
3. ???
4. A locksmith can do it.
5. I haven't tried.
6. I'm thinking a little over $100, but I'm not really sure.
I ended up drilling into mine, easy fix.

·
Registered
'03 Element EX
5 Posts
Hey Charlie
I have a 2003 and had this same problem. Actually it was the very 1st issue i had to fix. You can check a video on YT on how to remove everything to get to the tumbler. I did take a locksmiths course so i was somewhat confident on the "surgery".

It pretty much involves removing one of the wafers so that the key will turn. The wafer and spring sometimes wont retract fully inside the housing preventing the key from rotating.

It's not a quick job but, with patience and the right tools, you can do it. A locksmith is gonna tax those pockets😁😁

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Charlie
I have a 2003 and had this same problem. Actually it was the very 1st issue i had to fix. You can check a video on YT on how to remove everything to get to the tumbler. I did take a locksmiths course so i was somewhat confident on the "surgery".

It pretty much involves removing one of the wafers so that the key will turn. The wafer and spring sometimes wont retract fully inside the housing preventing the key from rotating.

It's not a quick job but, with patience and the right tools, you can do it. A locksmith is gonna tax those pockets😁😁
Thank you so much! Will attempt and post!

·
Registered
'03 Element EX
5 Posts
Thank you so much! Will attempt and post!
Hey i forgot to tell you and i think Meatco mentioned it previously-

You are going to need to either drill out the locking pin or tap it out with a very, VERY thin object to disengage the locking collar on the back of the assembly once you remove it from the steering column. Dig this** i ended up losing or breaking my pin and you wanna know what i replaced it with ??? An old drill bit that was the same size as the pin**😁😁 i broke it off "Around" the same size as the pin and added a dollop of superglue to hold it in place.

Let me know if you need the YT link i watched.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I finally got to trying to fix the key/ignition not turning problem, the 3 1/2 ft. of snow surrounding my Element subsided enough to do the job comfortably. Got he clam shell, 2 piece trim covers for the steering column off- 3 screws. Removed the outer Immobilizer ring 2 screws, and the inner black plastic antennae (?) ring- 2 screws. Then I went to the hard part of pulling those dam roll pins. The one holding the ignition assembly to the bracket attached to the steering column and the one holding the tumbler section to the ignition assembly. I put my key in to hold everything in place, my main worry of the whole job was if those tumbler, disks, wafers what ever you like to call them would fall out along with their miniscule springs........ and the ignition assembly pulled right out! What the? Long story short, it must have taken off before, probably in 2003, when the after market remote start security system was installed. I found a small piece of metal rod that the installers had used in lieu of a roll pin in the bottom clam shell trim. Drilled out a hole in the case holding the tumblers like the YT videos show, punched it out with a $9.99 Harbor Freight punch set, used 1/16. Kept the key in the cylinder, carefully removed key, pulled bad tumbler with spring, reinstalled, good to go. Thank you to everybody who helped

·
Registered
'03 Element EX
5 Posts
So I finally got to trying to fix the key/ignition not turning problem, the 3 1/2 ft. of snow surrounding my Element subsided enough to do the job comfortably. Got he clam shell, 2 piece trim covers for the steering column off- 3 screws. Removed the outer Immobilizer ring 2 screws, and the inner black plastic antennae (?) ring- 2 screws. Then I went to the hard part of pulling those dam roll pins. The one holding the ignition assembly to the bracket attached to the steering column and the one holding the tumbler section to the ignition assembly. I put my key in to hold everything in place, my main worry of the whole job was if those tumbler, disks, wafers what ever you like to call them would fall out along with their miniscule springs........ and the ignition assembly pulled right out! What the? Long story short, it must have taken off before, probably in 2003, when the after market remote start security system was installed. I found a small piece of metal rod that the installers had used in lieu of a roll pin in the bottom clam shell trim. Drilled out a hole in the case holding the tumblers like the YT videos show, punched it out with a $9.99 Harbor Freight punch set, used 1/16. Kept the key in the cylinder, carefully removed key, pulled bad tumbler with spring, reinstalled, good to go. Thank you to everybody who helped
BOOM !! Glad it worked out for you. Now you know how to change a honda ignition without a locksmith.

Blech!! 3ft. of snow ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts