Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ignition lock cylinder just took a crap! the key will go in but wont turn to start the car so im guessing the tumblers are done.. i searched the net and couldant find the part anywhere! and the stealer wants $800 to put a new one in. anybody have any idea where i can get one???

·
Registered
68 Posts
The suggested retail from Honda for the part is $402.32 and labor is probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours plus rekeying unless you skip that and end up with separate door and ignition keys. Part of the installation process is programming the immobilizer system and has to be done no matter what. You can shop around on the internet and get the part for less but make sure your installer will do the job if you provide the part as some wont.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
This post holds some of the information you need.

This one holds Part numbers.

Dom

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i called majestic and even though its on their wedsite they dont actually sell that part (atleast thats what the guy on the phone said). he said its a honda spacific part and requires reprogramming so i guess ill just have to put it on the CC and let honda do it.... ugh...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am having the same issue with the Ignition on my 2004 Element. Did you take it in to the dealer? How well was this resolved and how bad did it hit the wallet?
When I asked my dealer to help cut & program aftermarket flip-key, they warned me they had someone used similar aftermarket flip-key in other Honda car & for some reason key broke & stuck inside cylinder. Cost to replace is $1000+. :shock:

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am having the same issue with the Ignition on my 2004 Element. Did you take it in to the dealer? How well was this resolved and how bad did it hit the wallet?
There was a recall awhile back on the ignition cylinder. Not sure if it was for this problem.
Worth checking into.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There was a recall awhile back on the ignition cylinder. Not sure if it was for this problem.
Worth checking into.
Any detail available on the recall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is at the shop today as well, I am checking in on the Recall to see if this failure can lead to my car not turning as well with the keys in the ignition. My problem is, I don't know if any of you guys experienced what I felt like a slightly small start up in the engine when you turned it on, I never had a problem with my Element, until probably two days ago. My boyfriend put his keys in my car ignition and was turning a little bit franticly wondering why it wasn't turning, then he realized that it was the wrong key and put mine in, and it started right then and there we were able to get my car started normally twice after that but then once we got to my house the key wouldn't turn in the ignition anymore. Could this have JAmmed my tumblers, or is this something that was already failing??? I had my car towed today and I did tell them there is a recall on the car for the ignition switch but from what I have been reading the two are completely different problems. THe dealer even said I think its more then the recall, we are going to fix the recall but due to your steering locked up and your key not turning we think its a broken tumbler. They are charging me 99 just to look at my car, which I think is bogus if it ends up being apart of the recall, I definitely won't be paying that unless its not apart of the recall. Honda should be paying that themselves. If its not then Gladly that will have to be tacked onto the cost of the car. I am hoping this dealership isn't costly with the parts and labor seeing that fixing this problem isn't a hour, and if I have to sit in the dealership watching them to make sure I probably will. Knowing me. Its just steep for a ignition problem that Honda made completely poorly.

But back to my question of frustration, could sticking and jerking the wrong key in my ignition break my tumblers? Or cause them to fail?

Anyone think its a better idea to get a push start ignition then the stupid key? Less failure. I know that if this failure occured I hope the repaid is warrentied since it is a flimsy design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.