Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ignition key wouldn't go in the other day. I got my wife's key and it worked with a wiggle. I tried the valet key which had never been used and it was pretty good. Got lots of lubricant [from the locksmith] into the lock and it is fine. Apparently the wear on the key has made it less and less effective. A new key is $75 and the valet key won't open the hatchback. I have had to replace wafers in the door locks and this is a much cheaper way to go. Has anyone taken out the ignition switch. thanks for any help or pointers

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gonna defer to Locksmith, but a service manual would be invaluable here.
I don't think that this style of key uses a standard tumbler I would agree with ramblerdan, locksmith is in order. From my poking around near the column I would have someone do it, and I pretty much do everything. Key wear is more then likely the culprit so it might be worth trying to get a new key from a locksmith, or follow there recomendation. I would use the locksmith that the dealer uses and maybe get some quotes from others.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.