Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ignition key wouldn't go in the other day. I got my wife's key and it worked with a wiggle. I tried the valet key which had never been used and it was pretty good. Got lots of lubricant [from the locksmith] into the lock and it is fine. Apparently the wear on the key has made it less and less effective. A new key is $75 and the valet key won't open the hatchback. I have had to replace wafers in the door locks and this is a much cheaper way to go. Has anyone taken out the ignition switch. thanks for any help or pointers

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gonna defer to Locksmith, but a service manual would be invaluable here.
I don't think that this style of key uses a standard tumbler I would agree with ramblerdan, locksmith is in order. From my poking around near the column I would have someone do it, and I pretty much do everything. Key wear is more then likely the culprit so it might be worth trying to get a new key from a locksmith, or follow there recomendation. I would use the locksmith that the dealer uses and maybe get some quotes from others.

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ignition lock

The door locks were relatively simple to work on once they were out so that part is ok. Just the access to the lock. My guess is its easier than the door!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts