Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find any news on Honda's response from the side impact tests. Anybody got any news or statements issued by Honda? What i'm reading into this test is that if any car had a side airbag that has both head & torso protection then it would receive a 'Good or Average' rating. Does the Element airbag have the head airbag protection? I know the only Subaru that has it is the Forester & possibly the high end Outback sedan.
Can't get it in the WRX or Impreza. My father said Dateline mentioned the structural defeciency(?) of the doors, I couldn't find anything to support that, is he correct? He's hammering me on choosing the Element, help me out here!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only time I can recall a car manufacturer putting out a "rebuttal" about any kind of crash test or negative press was after Dateline staged an explosion on a particular model of car. They (the manufacturer) did this by showing frame-by-frame video of the ignition under the car, and suing dateline. They won, and Dateline issued a retraction on-air among other things.

I dont think manufacturers respond directly to crash test ratings. Indirectly, and I think this is one of the purposes of the ratings in the first place, the car manufacturer will improve their product to do better in the conditions tested.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I watched the Dateline presentation and do not recall them talking about the structural deficiency of the doors. Maybe they did and I don't remember. You might point out to your dad the very high ratings obtained in all other safety tests that have been done plus the model tested was without airbags as you mentioned. The Element is pretty safe and overall has probably out tested all other small SUVs. If safety is the primary concern, you are probably going to need a larger vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote:4dd308cbd4="bsanorton"]Can't find any news on Honda's response from the side impact tests. Anybody got any news or statements issued by Honda? What i'm reading into this test is that if any car had a side airbag that has both head & torso protection then it would receive a 'Good or Average' rating. Does the Element airbag have the head airbag protection? I know the only Subaru that has it is the Forester & possibly the high end Outback sedan.
Can't get it in the WRX or Impreza. My father said Dateline mentioned the structural defeciency(?) of the doors, I couldn't find anything to support that, is he correct? He's hammering me on choosing the Element, help me out here!![/quote:4dd308cbd4]

Honda yesterday put out a release to dealers. Basically they said that they make every effort to make the safest vehicles they can. Honda has 5 vehicles with the highest safety ratings available. No other manufacturere can make that statement.

My comments

The Dateline TV show used an impact device that was higher, wider and heavier than what is normally tested with through the Fed Govt. Even though the CRV and Element do have side air bags as options, the testing was done with out side air bags.

The insurance group that does the testing has an agenda, as all lobbying groups do, they want all cars to have side air bags.

Personally I feel that side air bags are a good thing, they aren't alot of money so it really doesn't effect a car payment that much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What DID they say? Basicly "All our other cars are safe...but apparently not theE! Thats REAL smart(insert sarcasm icon).....maybe they should've said "we made a mistake in declining to provide an Element with Side airbags when requested and will ask them to retest so equipped to prove our car is just as safe" Why didnt they? Do they know it will be "poor" again???

·
Registered
135 Posts
You know- maybe they didn't ask them to retest it with side airbags-- because they weren't available yet. I assume it takes a while to collect and assess all the data of all of those vehicles. And only recently did Honda start to sell Elements with side airbags. There's not too much of a doubt with me that they did this test months ago.
Maybe you should go find something better to do Corvette.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Corvette...go away and play with single digit IQ folks like yourself.
I don't even own an Element, and I am sick of your tripe.
I did own a Corvette, though. What an unmitigated piece of s**t. I promptly sold it and acquired a real sports car, a Porsche.
If all you are going to do is come on this forum and lip off, go to the WWF site and hang with people of your own mentality.
Clearly, you are out of your 'Element'.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote:f2e2559387="Arnie"]You know- maybe they didn't ask them to retest it with side airbags-- because they weren't available yet. I assume it takes a while to collect and assess all the data of all of those vehicles. And only recently did Honda start to sell Elements with side airbags. There's not too much of a doubt with me that they did this test months ago.[/quote:f2e2559387]

You are correct. We just started receiving side air bag E's. Given Hondas testing program, they are'nt given into releasing what they feel or the US Govt feels is an unsafe vehicle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:99b9531caf="CorvetteArchives.com"]What DID they say? Basicly "All our other cars are safe...but apparently not theE! Thats REAL smart(insert sarcasm icon).....maybe they should've said "we made a mistake in declining to provide an Element with Side airbags when requested and will ask them to retest so equipped to prove our car is just as safe" Why didnt they? Do they know it will be "poor" again???[/quote:99b9531caf]

Ha ha. "You" again. "You" seem to be the self designated "troll" of this board. I want to sound the alarm that CorvettArchives.com has told everyone that he will not buy an E but cannot seem to stay off of this board.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as covettearchives go my reply is (sorry if others have covered this):
A) with a vette, he is compensating for something very small in his life (and it isn't just his brain)
B) with a GM product he gets what he deserves (has consumer reports ever reviewed a GM vehicle with a better than average reliability?)
C) he is probably one of those NASCAR fans that posts his IQ on the back window, you know 27, or 8 or 3 (most likely)

I like the troll alert. However, don't give the schmuck the satisfaction, just merely ignore his posts. Life will go on, the son will rise in the east, set in the west and he'll still be compensating for something small.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:1ec4a405b6="Elementary Watson"]
I like the troll alert. However, don't give the schmuck the satisfaction, just merely ignore his posts. Life will go on, the son will rise in the east, set in the west and he'll still be compensating for something small.[/quote:1ec4a405b6]

I agree. I deleated the "Troll Alert" post. After posting it, I thought that I was just feeding CorvetteArchives.com's trolling and taking away from what this site is all about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am planning on buying an E (with side air bags) + I love Nascar. I don't know what your IQ has to do with liking Nascar but when mine was tested last, it easily qualified me for Mensa membership (I declined).

FYI:
This data is from 2001.
THE FANS
Attendance has doubled since 1990. Last year 6.5 million fans flocked to Winston Cup races,
spending around $65 a ticket.
A NASCAR survey of fans found that:
40% are women
64% have attended college or beyond
70% have Internet access
41% earn more than $50,000
38% live in the South
17% in the Northeast
45% in rest of country:
Devote an average of 3.7 hours a week to the sport Spend an average of $287 per year on NASCAR merchandise
Source: Edgar, Dunn & Co.
------------------

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:dd8b53c9a8="CorvetteArchives.com"]What DID they say? Basicly "All our other cars are safe...but apparently not theE! Thats REAL smart(insert sarcasm icon).....maybe they should've said "we made a mistake in declining to provide an Element with Side airbags when requested and will ask them to retest so equipped to prove our car is just as safe" Why didnt they? Do they know it will be "poor" again???[/quote:dd8b53c9a8]

Just curious, bud -- how did the Corvette do in the same side impact test?

·
Registered
41 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about shows like Dateline is that despite what they'd like you to believe, they don't have a staff of dedicated researchers out looking for injustice. What they have is a line of plaintiff's lawyers and lobbyists at the door trying to sell them stories.

Remember ABC News and the side impact gas tanks? And how an "independant lab" attached igniters (in the form of rocket engines) to the tanks to make sure they burned? These shows do precious little in the way of research to verify the stories brought to them.

In the original government spec side impact tests the E performed very well, and that's one of the reasons I bought it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts