Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my Element last year, I had a vision of converting it to a micro camper and taking a road trip in late spring this year. Go to the Hillbilly days festival in Pikeville, KY, then visit my son, and relatives in the holler, finally swinging by the big Ham radio show east of Dayton, Ohio in early May on the way back to Florida. This Covid-19 virus has ruined all my plans.
Hillbilly Days- Cancelled, Ham Show cancelled.- Criminy, everyone knows take out and Cracker Barrel just doesn't work for breakfast!
I was so looking forward to riding in the parade with all the relatives in the Haszard clan.:cry:
I guess I have to wait until next year.
I'm staying home and keeping safe- the same to everyone else. Next year, I will do the trip bigger and better!(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You’re not alone. We were supposed to be leaving for Italy on March 30th and I had planned on coming home and doing some overnights in my recently acquired E shortly after that. We’re 2 weeks into this mess and I really don’t think we’ll be in the clear until we’ll over a month from now. Hang in there. Fall trips are fun too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is a glimmer of hope, the festival will be rescheduled for later this fall.
Yeah, we will survive. I even scheduled to have my cataract surgery the first of the month- I was told that this year is the best year to have eye surgery- because everyone sees 2020 this year! ;)
added: Dr office called- their next door surgery center is closed- so I have to be rescheduled

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a very good website- Kinsa "fever" map- has perhaps shown were the Covid-19 virus is at right now- Atypical, could be a Covid-19 spike in illness. US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel your pain!
I have been saving up United miles for 10 years. Had enough for a Russia trip for my wife and I flying business class. We were going for the entire month of May. Poof! Trip cancelled. Now we are out the expense of the Visa's and invitation letters. Oh well, what are you going to do? At least I am catching up on my yard work and house maintenance as California has pretty much been shut down for the last week. Stay safe everyone! This shall pass😁

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I feel your pain!
I have been saving up United miles for 10 years. Had enough for a Russia trip for my wife and I flying business class. We were going for the entire month of May. Poof! Trip cancelled. Now we are out the expense of the Visa's and invitation letters. Oh well, what are you going to do? At least I am catching up on my yard work and house maintenance as California has pretty much been shut down for the last week. Stay safe everyone! This shall pass😁
What a trip!
The wife and I made two trips to Ekaterinburg Russian in April and June of 2003 to adopt our 3-1/2 yr old daughter. Flying from Indianapolis- were you flying the west to east route? I think it took us 20 hrs of clock time to get to Ekaterinburg.
Those trips to Russia are burned into our brain! I learned a joke from our translator- "how do you double the value of a Russian car? Simple- fill up the gas tank!" ( it was an old Volga car)
Back then, on the Russian regional flights, the cockpit crew ran the booze concession- when you bought a drink, you bought a bottle the size of a 1/2 pint- passengers drank it all up on a 5 hour flight to Moscow- at midnight in mid-June, people were drinking in side walk cafes at midnight- the sun was still up. It didn't get dark until almost 1:30am- then at 5am it was getting daylight again. Like I said, memories to last a lifetime!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, this was going to be our biggest adventure.
We were flying east to St. Petersburg via Toronto and Dublin. I think it was 17 hours of flying time, but 24 hours with the layovers. I've been to Europe a few times flying coach and I am getting too old to try that all the way to Russia, hence saving up the miles for Business Class tickets. We were going to be flying on the Dreamliner also, which I was really looking forward too. We were going to be in St Pete's for 2 1/2 weeks and then train over to Moscow for two weeks before heading home. Ah, the best laid plans...

Oh well, hopefully we will get to go next year. It took me two years of looking to find business saver tickets available to Russia though, but hopefully we will find them again😁

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Camper conversion?-- it's still in my mind's eye! I built an oversize teardrop type camper 5 years ago (since sold) so this won't take me long- pull the seats out, single person platform bed, with storage underneath , pump camper sink. 100 watt solar panel on the roof , battery and 120V 800 watt inverter system. (already purchased) -
As you can see in this picture, you don't even need to make a bed, just remove a seat and pad up the existing seat a bit with some strategically place foam. I experimented with it and for a night or two, it might be OK. But I think I'm going with a fixed bed.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
733 Posts
Camper conversion?-- it's still in my mind's eye! I built an oversize teardrop type camper 5 years ago (since sold) so this won't take me long- pull the seats out, single person platform bed, with storage underneath , pump camper sink. 100 watt solar panel on the roof , battery and 120V 800 watt inverter system. (already purchased) -
As you can see in this picture, you don't even need to make a bed, just remove a seat and pad up the existing seat a bit with some strategically place foam. I experimented with it and for a night or two, it might be OK. But I think I'm going with a fixed bed. View attachment 203416
I tried sleeping in my E once like you show here; only without the puppy! :)

I was also without any of the strategically place foam; which made it very lumpy and uneven! I was able to sleep like that for an hour, maybe!

Your idea as shown with foam probably works well. Please tell me more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I've slept in it that way too. I'm 6' 3" so it wasn't very comfortable for me. That's why business class to Russia sounded so appealing too! Coach sucks when your tall! Now, I just use a tent. I would love one of the car top tents, but they are too pricey.

good luck with your camper, should be a fun project!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This guys camper design is pretty close to what I have in mind -- I am 5'8" tall.
When I bought my Element last year, I had a vision of converting it to a micro camper and taking a road trip in late spring this year. Go to the Hillbilly days festival in Pikeville, KY, then visit my son, and relatives in the holler, finally swinging by the big Ham radio show east of Dayton, Ohio in early May on the way back to Florida. This Covid-19 virus has ruined all my plans.
Hillbilly Days- Cancelled, Ham Show cancelled.- Criminy, everyone knows take out and Cracker Barrel just doesn't work for breakfast!
I was so looking forward to riding in the parade with all the relatives in the Haszard clan.:cry:
I guess I have to wait until next year.
I'm staying home and keeping safe- the same to everyone else. Next year, I will do the trip bigger and better!(y)

View attachment 203408
Great idea. Element will be for moving my 3 very large dogs. Always said I wanted a small dog but somehow it didn't work out that way. Am a sucker for rescue dogs.
View attachment 203447

1 - 13 of 13 Posts