Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
VERY cool!

Do you operate it with hand controls? I remember seeing a picture of a car FDR once owned with hand controls. If you have any pics I would like to see how the state of the art has advanced in 65 years!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
thats awsome how the seats are rised higher than the floor! very cool.... even though you cant use the driver door, whouses that anyways?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no..the rear seats r at same spot...floor is lowered 4 inches...i whell drv with hand controls,....ill have a pax seat in mine too up front. im getting silver with blue paneled 05

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Honda Element is one of the best-looking sport utility vehicles on the market, and our X-WAV conversion does nothing to hinder the Element's sporty good looks. In fact, to the untrained eye, an converted Element looks nearly identical to an unconverted one. It isn't until the doors open and the ramp unfolds that passersby are treated to the true nature of the Honda X-WAV: An extremely stylish vehicle that screams "Freedom" in every sense of the word.

Copyright ©2003 FMI (Freedom Motors, Inc). All rights reserved.

Door Opening Height: 56"
Interior Height: 59"
Ramp Width: 42" (base) - 29 3/4" (tip)
Ramp Length: 50"
Ramp Angle: 10°
Lowered Floor Width: 28" (half-drop)
Lowered Floor Length: 55"
Lowered Floor Depth: 10"
Flooring Materials: Commercial-grade Non-slip

Copyright ©2003 FMI (Freedom Motors, Inc). All rights reserved.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Very very VERY cool, indeed! Great job!

A buddy and I were studying the E as a possiblity for his son, who just turned 16 and is now going through hand-control training. The E always seemed to us to be a natural option for an accessible vehicle, and hat's off to you for proving that point.

They ended-up getting a really good deal on a barely-used standard-size van (that gets something like 11 mpg). However, I'd still like to bring your project up with him.

In that context, may I be so bold as to ask how much the conversion costs? It was a really neat installation - much, much better than the clunky contraption-looking affair on their Ford van.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I would love to see one of them operate......like an animated gif or a short video, I did not see any on the website.

Maybe you should mention it when you pick yours up :grin:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Of course!!! It's great! The element is perfect for this kind of treatment, with the huge door opening and all. Post pics when you get it! And welcome!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
wow, that looks so cool. and so roomy inside.

looking forward of the pics of it in use.

when does it arrive for you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4-5 mo waiting list right now

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
That's awesome.

Its nice to see a cool car available for a change. :grin:

A buddy of mine has an old POS Ford Econoline Van conversion. He loves it because of what it enables him to do, but I'm sure he would rather have an E.
$20,000 on top of the price of an E is a little expensive though.

It's too bad the auto manufacturers do not make a conversion available from the factory as a special order and offer it at a reasonable price. :roll:

Do the door open automatically on the side where the ramp is located?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well their loans go for up to ten years...very low interest...for those that are tight up

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Wheelchair conversions

I stumbled across this Freedom Motors Element converted for wheelchair use. I've seen a few of the other threads about wheelchair conversions but these are different shots than what I've seen before. Amazing what they've done with the interior and access ramp.

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/xwav.html

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Re: Honda X-Wav Wheelchair Conversion Element

Yeah, that's an especially good view... thanks! I've been keeping a friend updated on E-conversions; he has a standard-sized van conversion that is hurting more than usual given the current state of gasoline prices.

The plainly-visible actuator (or gas spring?) for the front door bugs me a little, marring an otherwise beautifully-executed conversion. I know it's really hard to hide this stuff - you should see the cranks and levers all over my buddy's van - but a few tweaks in the front door jam, hiding the actuator in the space 'neath the fender panel... hmmm... :roll:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

I thought the 8 (I'm guessing) floor anchors were for strapping down the chair or chairs if side by side. As far as seatbelts, I still see the stock ones there but not sure how they normally address it in similar wheelchair bound driven vehicles. I know the article mentioned the tester had to do a 6 point turn just to get into the driver position so I'm not sure how exactly a driver plus a passenger would fit if both were in chairs. I suppose it would depend on chair size also.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Hmm, but how would a single driver strap themselves in using the floor anchors if that's what they're there for?

·
Registered
194 Posts

Not to be mean, but should someone who is wheelchair bound be allowed to drive?

I take it they have a custom accelerator and brake that they operate with their hands while also operating the steering wheel?

Would be interesting to see how they refill their gas.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts

Damien8086 said:
Not to be mean, but should someone who is wheelchair bound be allowed to drive?

I take it they have a custom accelerator and brake that they operate with their hands while also operating the steering wheel?

Would be interesting to see how they refill their gas.
Ha! An education opportunity!

Why should lack of physical ability to use pedal controls automatically mean a life sentence of immobility? Parapalegia does not equate to impared judgement, slow reaction times or diminished motor function - just loss of use of legs.

Yes, hand controls. Very common. In fact, before automobile controls were "standardized" into the familiar foot pedals (back in the 1920's, I think), hand-operated throttles and even hand-controlled brakes were found in many makes as the "normal" operator controls. It's easier (and much safer) now with electronic and other power assists, although most states mandate that hand controls be restricted for use by those trained to use 'em.

Many if not most gasoline stations will gladly offer what has come to be regarded as "full serve" to mobility-impaired customers. Not an issue.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts