Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm losing the lovin' feeling. My Element, a 2004 SOP EXS AWD Auto, hasn't even been dug out of the ground yet. :)

The more I think of having car payments, the more I feel driving a Neon in the Alaskian winter isn't the worst thing.

You guys keep me intrigued, but...I think I am losing it...losing the giddiness I had two months ago when I fell upon the E.

nooooooo! :shock:

Honda reliability. Neato factor. Gotta keep the feeling!!!

Googagalagoonga!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only get it if you really want to. Nothing worse then having an expensive toy that you grow to resent. But it is truly unlike any vehicle, so look deep and try and keep the love!

P.S. Did you caddie for the dahli Lama? Goongalagoonga!
( So I've got that going for me, which is nice....)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Always buy a vehicle knowing that once the newness wears off, you have the payments left. If you are "loosing it" then simply don't buy it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to say I kind of know where your coming from. Coincidentally I live in AK, but I have tried to get a decent deal on an E a few times, and at this point Im sick of thinking about it. I would really like a NEW vehicle, and the E seems really great, but after all the discouraging visits to the dealership I have pretty much lost it. And then to think of all the money I can save buying a nice vehicle that is a couple of years old.

When I see all the new vehicles on the road, and realize how much those people are paying to own those vehicles, I figure people must be making tons of $$$$$$. The E is considered cheap, but its still a good size chunk of cash every month. Especially with insurance. Maybe debt feels good once you relax.

At this point, even though it lacks alot of what I like about the E (large space, body panels, clamshell tailgate...), I am looking for a used 2000 rav4. I figure Ill spend about half of what I would have, and still get a great jap automobile. There are things I hate about the rav (lack of rear bumper, small size, the cargo door), but it probably is a bit hardier overall.

Basically, I would love an E... enough to where I read this board frequently, but the dealer has made it too uncomfortable for my budget so maybe when I move to a different state sometime down the road Ill get my precious E.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I went shopping for my E and a new non-ford minvan for my wife, we were totally intending to buy used. I was buying two cars, hell I certainly couldn't afford 2 new cars! S'anyway, I went down to the Honda dealer to look at Odyssey's and CRV's...Then the Toyota dealer to look at Sienna'a and RAV4's. I wanted certified and I wanted low mileage. I went all over the freakin place looking for what we needed and after an exhaustive search, and almost 50 cars, we came to a descision at the Toyota dealer on a 2000 RAV4 and a 2001 Sienna. After going through the dance with the dealer we decided on a combined price of $38k for both cars. I stood up, took my wife by the hand and said "F**k it. for another $1500 we could be driving two brand new Hondas." The RAV4 was 15k and the Siennna was 23k. USED! I ended up with an Element for 17k and an Odyssey for 23. NEW. I understand how Toyotas and Hondas keep their value, so I figured, why not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote:226467d751="Kayakin' Dan"] After going through the dance with the dealer we decided on a combined price of $38k for both cars. I stood up, took my wife by the hand and said "F**k it. for another $1500 we could be driving two brand new Hondas." The RAV4 was 15k and the Siennna was 23k. USED! I ended up with an Element for 17k and an Odyssey for 23. NEW. I understand how Toyotas and Hondas keep their value, so I figured, why not.[/quote:226467d751]

I think you did the right thing. The RAV4 is very underpowered compared to the E. Where high resale bites you is when you buy used from a dealer! Now you've got a new warranty as well. Plus in my experience, the cars I've owned that lasted the longest are the ones I've owned and maintained new from the start. Since nothing compared with the E to me (rear seats fold, waterproof interior..etc), my only choice was to buy new and to get an EX 2WD for $18995, I'm not complaining. I think it's well worth it. Most people who don't know any better assume it costs $25K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts