Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 600 miles on my 2wd 5spd EX and I wasn't expecting much from these first few tanks of gas in terms of economy, but I've been VERY pleasantly surprised!! 8)

In a mixture of half suburban and half highway driving my foot can get a little heavy at times, churning through the gears for fun and cruising at 70-75 mph on the highway. I don't think the A/C has been turned OFF since the day I picked the car up several weeks ago.

The first tank was an impressive 23.5 mpg and this second tank was 26.8 :shock:

In both cases, I carefully kept topping the fuel tank to make SURE it was taking all the fuel it could hold.

I couldn't be more pleased. Can't wait to see what the mileage looks like after it's got 5,000-10,000 miles on it and is throughly broken in!

Just thought I'd brag on my little Galapagos Green shoebox,

Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine's averaging about 25mpg. I think that would be better if I was not running the A/C constantly.
I was surprised that the tank only seems to hold about 12 gallons, perhaps a trade-off for interior space, or is that a common capacity?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob,

Most reference materials say the Element holds 15.9 gallons- a few sources suggest 16.9 gallons. Either way, the "empty" light comes on EARLY to allow a substantial reserve capacity. I'm usually putting about 13 gallons in when I fill up shortly after the light goes on but in THEORY you should be able to drive AT LEAST another 50 miles and still have some reserve.

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have about 500 miles on our E and got 20 on the first tank and 21 on the second. We live in a very hilly area, so I suspect I won't be getting really geat mileage but I am hoping for 23-24. I am also trying to mend my lead foot ways.

Good to hear from soneone else who is finding that they are only adding 13 gallons or so when they fill. I am always super careful on the first few tanks as I learn how the gauge reads at the low end.

yelapa

·
Registered
352 Posts
Actually, fuel ecomomy changes very, very little with the air-con on. I talked to a very sharp flight test/aerodynamics engineer about this. He told me the last report he saw (which was in the late '80s) said that the drag of the air-con was less at speeds over 40 mph than if you drove with the windows down. The biggest change I've seen with fuel economy is weather based. Here in Oklahoma, the winds have been very strong (around 20 - 30 mph) and have driven my economy down to about 23.5 mpg while I have been getting 24.5 to 26 mpg (combined).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have to pop in and say welcome to Rob, another Texas-E owner, and admire that groovy icon.

Haven't kept track of my mileage yet, because Lucy's not broken in. I do almost exclusively city driving these days, so I don't hope for something spectacular, but it'll be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts