Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
however, im really wanting to get into a roof-mounted system that will allow me to carry a full-sized spare (i dont have a spare well anymore, never have actually), mount snowboards (at least 4), and possibly carry some extra gas or cargo bags or some such on long trips.

is there a "best," or preferred method, of mounting both the cargo basket AND snowboard mounts?

halp PLZ!

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Get wide crossbars. With 58-inchers on my Yakima I can carry a FS spare plus either a SkyBox Pro 12 cargo box or ski attachments.

Here with the SkyBox Pro, spare tire, and (obscuring the spare) two plastic Adirondack chairs. You can see there's still a couple of inches of crossbar on the left, possibly enough for a channel-type bike rack and definitely enough for a supplemental longitudinal bar for attaching a tarp.

Some use even wider crossbars [link].

Note that Yakima uses round tubes and Thule square tubes. One advantage of round tubes is that you can use a pipe cutter to reduce them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
racks warm..warm..hot

If only a magic place was created to share ideas and information on such problems..or if some one could make a rack that was low, for wind noise when empty, wide for multiple options of loads and longer than the 27 inch span of the OE honda mounts...wouldn't that be great? What could you put up there? what if I wanted to put ply wood up there and sit to watch a parade, what if I just stood up there? that would be great!

Your getting warmer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the heads-up. ill probably have to go by REI and talk to someone about the setup, but if I offset the mounting like that, i can use the supermegahuge basket (me and the lady and the dog do not travel lightly).

things are looking up! no moar nasty snow mud on my sub box. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
according to some customer service drone @ yakima, i can offset the mounting on my setup to accomodate all the BS i need.

i don't ride bicycles, so that isnt as much an issue as the 4 snowboards that i carry with me when i ride only with my girlfriend. when i have other folks with, we can just toss their boards in the basket.

it wasnt made plain to me over email, honestly. but no, i was not referring to your setup!

:)

TPS Lizard said:
If only a magic place was created to share ideas and information on such problems..or if some one could make a rack that was low, for wind noise when empty, wide for multiple options of loads and longer than the 27 inch span of the OE honda mounts...wouldn't that be great? What could you put up there? what if I wanted to put ply wood up there and sit to watch a parade, what if I just stood up there? that would be great!

Your getting warmer
of what do you speak? i had a hannibal roof rack on my disco (no tent though) and LOVED it. they dont make one for hellements. options are always good.

:D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I make a rack

search this site and the post "Best rack for an E finally here"
There are lots of options for the Element.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I personally wanted the TPS Lizard rack but needed a rack quickly and didn't have the money at the time for it. I still think it looks the best and is probably the best on the market.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wanted a TPS Lizard rack but needed a rack quickly

How quick is quick? Mine arrived within two weeks of my first contact with TPS. I've waited longer than that for items from Bernardi Honda and H and A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts