Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, the gallery is most definetly my favourite part of this forum. Love to see all your elements and the things you have done to enhance its natural beauty.
One thing I would like to see though: What does the element look like in traffic? How does it compare to other cars out on the road in size and looks? And how does it look out of the perspective of a driver FOLLOWING / beeing followed by the Element in an other car?????
Anybody out there who could provide me with these pictures or who is willing to take some pictures like that?? It would be really great to see some more of the element whilst I am eagerly awaiting the arrivial of the elment in germany.
Thanx in advance....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ibutchman,
thank you very much. These pictures are definetly a big help seeing what makes the Elment so special. It is not just another gigantic senseless waste of space like other domestic cars, but rather a fine and intelligent way not just to travel but also to hang-out, sleep, carry your stuff around, chill, socialize, ........

·
Registered
224 Posts
I realize the post I'm replying to is old but did you ever get your E in Germany?

I took delivery of mine last week here in Germany. Got it through the tax-free car sales near the US military PX.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, I am sooooooo jealous. Where are you located, I would travel all over just to see one... I've been checking out the Wiesbaden and Wuerzburg military bases (I got family/friends in both cities) in hope just to get a glimpse of an E but no luck jet. Would you mind dropping me a line so I can swing by sometime and look at it, that would be so awesome!!!!! That is just to cool to know that you got one over here.... I still have not figured out a way to get one, but I am despirately hoping/trying. The best offer was 32000 Euro (36000 USD) for a 2WD Man EX imported from Canada with all taxes and modifications included, which is about twice as much as in the U.S and does not really seem to be a option for me.
Do you have any pictures, what color is it, are you happy with it driving on the autobahn, how fast does it go???? I am so excited for you. Once again congratulations, hope you are going to be happy with it.... and please keep the german E-xperiences coming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GregP,
thanx for the links, unfortunately I am in no way associated with the US Military, so I don't think I would be able to shop at the dealer you mentioned. Is there a way how you could help me out dealing with this dealer???
I dealt with the "E delivered to bremerhaven"-guys a while back, and all they wanted to sell was the EX AWD in Automatic, eventhough i asked for the 2WD Stick version. They behaved like real carsalesmen: i asked for apples they offered mangos..... Besides the fact that I would have to pay 26% tax on the mentioned price and get the car trough the german TÜV (Highwas Safety Inspection) which i going to cost some more.
Which version did you get AWD or 2WD, stick or automatic, EX or DX???

I am so desperate to get one..... :cry:

Especially since i know that the E is roadworthy even under german conditions. thanks for the post of your autobahn experience. Do you have any figures on the mpg's under german driving conditions. Do you get your gas in gallons or liters??
I still can't believe that Honda will not officially sell the E in Europe. I send a couple inquieries to my local dealers and to Honda germany directly and they all stated taht it wass not plannet as of yet. The should kick the slowselling HRV and sell the E. Ithink a lot of people would appreciate the simpleness and the ruggedness of the E.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just read on a couple of German auto news sites that the E is expected in Germany the end of this year. They are awaiting the 5-cylinder diesel.

Article here

I mentioned the military car sales in hopes you would get to see the one in Wuerzburg. They also may be able to refer you to a dealer that could help you.

Unfortunately I can't help you acquire one. When I processed it through customs, I signed an affidavit that I would keep the car for more than 12 months. This would complicate the processing of another purchase with my name on it.

I have the exact model the Bremerhaven process tried to sell you. AWD EX, Auto. I have the Silver (SSM) one. I haven't bothered to figure out my gas mileage yet, but the gas does go fast at 85 mph. The tank is only 60 liters. I figure I've used a little over 2 tanks and have 550 miles. This puts my estimate at around 8 liters per 100km. (17.2 mpg). Not good by many standards. It looks like I need to slow down a bit. LOL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping you would sell me yours after the break-in period :D :D

I figured that there are going to be many restriction in order to receive a car in germany for the US-price without having to pay the local taxes.

I read the article too (from AutoBild December '02), which introduced me to the I and made me fall in love with it, but then checking with Honda germany and having them tell me that there is not going to be a distribution over here got me disillusioned.
The Honda Diesel Engine would be a awesome powerplant for the E, because it got twice as much torque as the gasoline engine and would have a way better milage.
I don't know what factor you used to calculate your milage in liters, but eight liters /100km would be phenomenal (my 115hp Ford Focus needs more than that!!!) for a car this size, but 17 mpg is far away from great (as long as you are not the owner of a gasstation) so i found this formula: 235,24 divided by mpg (US) = l/100 km which would give you about 13l/100km which seems to be more realistic for a boxy car like the E.
Either way, i dont care, I would even be willing to spend all my money on gas, if I could just get my hands on a E.
I will try to call the car dealer you mentioned, and maybe there will be a way.... I'll never give up on the quest.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi,

You're right about the gas mileage calculations. I messed that up. I was later thinking that 7 liters per 100k was darn good, but 17.2 mpg was terrible. Had planned to log in later and post a correction. This is probably the worst-case gas milage you can get with an E. Mixed autobahn and city driving at higher speeds, the air conditioner running full blast, and an automatic transmission.

The diesel would be a nice alternative. Especially here in Europe since it is so readily available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote:f8435ee734="E-less_in_Germany"]One thing I would like to see though: What does the element look like in traffic? How does it compare to other cars out on the road in size and looks? And how does it look out of the perspective of a driver FOLLOWING / beeing followed by the Element in an other car?????[/quote:f8435ee734]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Microbus for the pics, think I've seen them posted some where else already. Would be glad to see some more if you happen to "catch" another one. The E seems to be just as tall as the bid ol' chevy van in front of it....[/quote]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Greg,
yep diesel would be awesome. it would drastically imrove the off-road abilities too. if i had to make a choice between either a diesel engine or the all-wheel-drive; I'd take the diesel. As others mentioned on the Off-road-board the E is lacking quite some torque for serious off-roading.
Well, but the Diesel is going to stay just a dream for now. I contacted the dealer that had written about the E on his website (thanks again for the link), but they were very sorry to report that Honda still has not reached a decission. The dealer himself could not quite understand why honda is second guessing the whole issue, since he said that there was a very high sales-potential for the E in germany.
I am going to hit the IAA (International car exhibition) in Frankfurt in September to try to talk to the guys from Honda... Maybe I can brbe them into selling one to me :twisted:
I would hate to buy some other car now and then have them release the E in the next year or so...
So Greg, how about letting me check out yours while I still wait for a decission....
I would be so glad just to finally see one in person.....
:wink:

·
Registered
224 Posts
E-less,

I would be happy to show you my E. No luck with the one at the dealer in Wurzburg? That means there are two E's running around Germany if not more.

Let me know which city you live in either by posting it here or private message and we can work out a good meeting place/time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greg,
that would be so awesome if I could check out your E.
I am down here in munich, which is most likely pretty far off from wherer you are, but I'd be willing to travel anywhere. I assume you are located somewhere between Würzburg an Mannheim?!?!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts