Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to be having a problem w/the immobilization system in our 2003 Honda EX, as this system is intermittently malfunctioning and not allowing us to start the Element. The Element cranks over but will not start, which is how the it's supposed to act when the immobilization system works, but we're also hearing a clicking sound which I suspect might be a relay. Obviously we are are owners of the vehicle, so we have the original and correct keys, but the system must be detecting that we're somehow using an incorrect key (i.e. we're trying to steal the vehicle!!). This is a major pain and my wife got stranded at the airport a few days ago @ 1AM w/this issue. Two mechanics have looked at it so far and have not been able to help. No OBD codes are being thrown either. Anyone else have any problems w/this system?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quick question for you. Is there or was there any aftermarket alarm system in your E? (to the best of your knowledge)

Have you had the battery checked? (weird issues can be caused by this)

If no to the car alarm and yes to the battery check are you looking to fix the issue or just bypass it? Fixing it may be somewhat pricey while bypassing it is around $20-$25 in parts and maybe 1/2 an hour in labor.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Never heard of this ever happening with the integrated OEM system. But it is very common with aging aftermarket add-on car-security systems. If yours is an aftermarket, any competent car stereo/alarm shop can disconnect the aftermarket system, and return you to OEM, or replace the failed unit with a new one (at a price).

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
My owners manual has a warning about taking care to avoid damaging the keys; try using the valet key. Also, could it be from a bad connection or bad immobilizer receiver unit (in the steering wheel cover)? Note the bottom diagram shows data connections, not simple voltages that could be jumpered.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wipeout97, if you know how to bypass the immobilizer, kindly don't tell how here.

Welcome Shaggy77. Are you the original owner? How old is the battery? How many times has this happened? Has it happened with all three keys?
No problem buddy, didn't think until I saw your post how that sounded or the issues that could arise from it. ;-)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
try to start it with ALL other keys removed from the key ring. owners have had issues with other immobilizer keys being seen when the car was trying to crank over (not just other honda keys either, any other keys or "speed pass" tap to pay type things should be removed too)

try it with the key totally off the keyring.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We seem to be having a problem w/the immobilization system in our 2003 Honda EX, as this system is intermittently malfunctioning and not allowing us to start the Element. The Element cranks over but will not start, which is how the it's supposed to act when the immobilization system works, but we're also hearing a clicking sound which I suspect might be a relay. Obviously we are are owners of the vehicle, so we have the original and correct keys, but the system must be detecting that we're somehow using an incorrect key (i.e. we're trying to steal the vehicle!!). This is a major pain and my wife got stranded at the airport a few days ago @ 1AM w/this issue. Two mechanics have looked at it so far and have not been able to help. No OBD codes are being thrown either. Anyone else have any problems w/this system?
a bad brain in a remote car starter if you have one possibly

·
Registered
70 Posts
try to start it with ALL other keys removed from the key ring. owners have had issues with other immobilizer keys being seen when the car was trying to crank over (not just other honda keys either, any other keys or "speed pass" tap to pay type things should be removed too)

try it with the key totally off the keyring.
my $ is on this. happened to some of my owners after coming back to buy their 2nd Honda from me. naturally, my delivery process was modified to included a discussion of low voltage rf id technology. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Immobilazation

Yes, we are the original owner of this 2003 Element and this is an oem system - no aftermarket stuff. We ordered this vehicle new from the dealer to our specs.

Battery was the first thing checked and it passed load test etc w/flying colors, as it's only 8 months old. All connections are clean and sealed to prevent corrosion. This problem has happened about 8 times now, four times in the past two weeks.

The comment about removing the key from the key ring may very well be valid and we'll try this, but we have had problems w/all ignition keys. In fact, we just got a new ignition key made yesterday in an effort to perhaps see if it made any difference.

I can hear the relay clicking when this problem occurs, which seems to indicate it is opening and closing and this sound is just like the second hand on a very loud clock - "tick, tick, tick...". I guess after trying just the ignition key alone, it might be prudent to put in a new relay if it can't be determined w/100% certainty that this relay is bad.

·
12,179 Posts

Did you take it to the dealer or just local shops? You are dealing with a 6 year old vehicle and it sounds to me like the actual immobilzer unit on the ignition switch is pooched. The isn't a relay in the immobilzer system so is suspect the sound you are hearing may be the starter relay? Since your wife has already been stranded once i would suggest it is time to take it in to the dealer if you have not already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How can the imobilizer system refresh the data base it uses i lost my fob and changed the trany would be cool if o could get it to start
I would like to see it running so i can relax
Or get another transaxel its. Hard to bypass so perhaps re do the info like honda would

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same immobilizer problem with my 2005 Element. I've had it to a certified Honda mechanic and Honda dealership. They replaced the fuse box for around $600 and reprogramed the computer system. It worked for about 1 month, but wouldn't start today green key flashing. We've had the keys checked and replaced, battery checked and replaced. Other than this problem, it's a great car. Any solutions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts