Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2003 Element just quit running after a 5 mile jog with the immobilizer light illuminated. It started back up fine and my wife, who was driving, made it home, considerably (and rightly) spooked.

I tried a search but "immobilizer" brings up endless remote start hits and the rest have to do with not starting. Has anyone experienced the immobilizer killing a running engine? I would have hoped that the engine computer would not accept an input from the immobilizer if the engine state was "running".

The Element has 117K miles and served us well so far. Help.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've never seen the immobilizer shut a running Honda down, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't. I thought they just needed to see the key to start. There is the possibility of a faulty ignition switch. It wouldn't be the first of that I had seen on a Honda. Does your wife keep a lot of keys on her keyring?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She keeps a few keys, but not an excessive number. But it's a thought. The "green immobilizer light" would seem to indicate that it was not simply the ignition switch failing.

I'm headed back home tomorrow - I'll check to see if there is a stored diagnostic code and take a look at the electrical shop manual. It's been years since I've given her a car that simply stopped midstream on the road so this one "needs fixed".

Can't let this one go yet - dumb Honda stopped making manual Elements and she insists on shifting herself.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
She keeps a few keys, but not an excessive number. But it's a thought. The "green immobilizer light" would seem to indicate that it was not simply the ignition switch failing.

I'm headed back home tomorrow - I'll check to see if there is a stored diagnostic code and take a look at the electrical shop manual. It's been years since I've given her a car that simply stopped midstream on the road so this one "needs fixed".

Can't let this one go yet - dumb Honda stopped making manual Elements and she insists on shifting herself.

You ever notice what happens when you first turn the ignition off?? The green light flashes...I believe it is 5 times. The fact that it is flashing could mean your are indeed loosing ignition power at the switch. You may not be loosing accessory power, just ignition. It's something I would definately look into. Just start the car and wiggle the key some, see if you can duplicate what happened.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Curious to know if you ever found out what the problem was with this?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If there was indeed a problem with the immobilizer then you will need the HDS Honda computer to tell what it was, (IE the dealership only) and it will only be able to tell you if you have the updated IMO unit on the 03-04, became standard on 05-06. there is something you can do by counting flashes and what not but it isnt as detailed as the HDS computer. I have to side with Greg on this and point at ignition switch or wire failure. see the 2nd page of the "type 3" sheet and it describes what sounds like you had happen.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts