Honda Element Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
another success

I got the part from Bernardi some time ago, but chickened out doing it myself as I live alone out in the boonies with no spare vehicle. Honda put the cluster in for me, charged about $100.00. At least I have the receipt of what they did and when, so true mileage can be verified. They just put the sticker on as well. My Honda acted up reliably in wet weather, and although it has only been a month since cluster replaced, it has rained heavily many times and not a single issue with starting.

Just to remind some of you who may have missed the post about the "override" trick. It served me well for many months. When you see the green key flashing, press the wiper control all the way down and the car will start. The gauges won't work for 20 minutes or so, but the trick eliminates the panic until you can get the fix done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to turn my ignition key about 5 times to get my 2003 element to start, I thought this fix might help me, so I bought the new meter cluster from Bernadi but it did not fix my problem oh well I will keep on trying new ideas

·
Registered
478 Posts
Starts fine but ignition not recognizing key??

My 08 EX AT started fine this am, I drove it down to the mailbox and put it in park and noticed the key in ignition sound when I opened the door, which was strange since the car was running.
Then I tried to put it in gear at the shifter was locked. I thought maybe somehow my key lost its program the the car didn't recognize it?
So I ran home and grabbed the spare key, started it up and still no luck, it didn't recognize that one either.
So I used the spare key to unlock the shifter while running and drove it back to the house and there it sits.????

The dash lights are out, back up lights are out, but running/headlamps work fine

It has a stock Honda alarm installed, custom installed HID headlamps, fog lights and H3 back up bulbs.

**Edit** Will try replacing the #10 fuse tonight.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My 2003 started this in the spring. I searched every few weeks depending on the frequency of the failure. I just found it today. I will be getting the cluster assembly soon.

BtW, thanks everyone for the leg work.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My 2003 started this in the spring. I searched every few weeks depending on the frequency of the failure. I just found it today. I will be getting the cluster assembly soon.

BtW, thanks everyone for the leg work.
Someone back in this looooong thread mentioned that their dome light was flashing during the immobilizer hissy fit. Mine did as well. According to the manual, this is a blink code. I will post the code if it happens again. I have forgotten what it was.

When this all started happening, my airbag light also came on. I am hoping this is a related issue.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Someone back in this looooong thread mentioned that their dome light was flashing during the immobilizer hissy fit. Mine did as well. According to the manual, this is a blink code. I will post the code if it happens again. I have forgotten what it was.

When this all started happening, my airbag light also came on. I am hoping this is a related issue.

I had an event, a code and received my new gauge assembly on Friday. The DTC was 2 and 5 simultaneously. On page 22-150, the Multiplex Control System section, is sez it could be a short to ground. And if not, replace the MCU, then the gauge assembly, and then the ECM/PCM in that order. Ergo, the people that replaced the MCU were on the right track. Being a consistently intermittent issue, it was hard to know if that was it or not. As I say often, "You don't know if it is fixed until it doesn't happen again." I am copier tech. Things like this happen frequently!

I am off to the garage!!! 8)8):twisted::-D

Jeff

I forgot to mention, a sharp rap to the top of the dash got me started and back on the road. Thanks again everyone for the info about this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freaking geniuses here! THANKYOU!

Thanks Elementery and Cidemarap for fighting this good fight and helping so many! Ellies symptoms same as most described: dash lights flashed like possessed when cut the engine, whether or not key was in ignition, clicking sound under dash, sometimes domelight blinked or stayed on for hours. Difficult starting after an episode with strange dim dash lights, brake light etc.... luckily would eventually start for me but on average a once a week occurrence. When it did start i would have no dash lights, gauges, air conditioning (would blow but not cold). Trips to Honda dealer just blamed my remote start after market and Honda wouldn't even look at it until I got that removed ($35) but decided to, heck w/ Honda, so smug, I found independent mechanic who recommended ignition replacement after checking battery, etc.
I found this forum over $300 dollars in with a shiny new ignition switch repair that had zero affect... Had possessed issue several hours after the replacement. Took the 38 pages of this post in and tried to convince mechanic that all these people couldn't be wrong... He did diagnostic and thought may be true but did not want to do the job... He thought maybe i had a wiring issue in addition and sent me on my way. Called around and found dealer willing to order the "meter assembly" instrument/gauge cluster and install it with no guarantee but first they had to run a diagnostic and look it over themselves.of course. So I took with me the 38 pages of this forum, showing them the wording you guys used bc i was personally confused as to whether the issue was the mulyiplex or the gauge cluster... Obviously i know nothing about cars. Every service man i talked to was surprisingly smug about my forum pages and always referred back to how NO superior sleuth Honda mechanics had reported on the Honda Issue Records any similar symptoms. I must be imagining all the symptoms? Right. Everyone insisted they must SEE the issue occurring and i would tell them there was simply no way that could ever happen! She is a 2003 and I was positive this forum was correct.... 7 month ordeal, $400 part&labor, i have now gone over 1 month and 1200 miles w NO ISSUE! I wanted to wait to make sure before I posted this thankyou! I was a little spooked bc i notice the old green key still blinks, but knock on wood, i have peace of mind and am so grateful to the smart and generous minds on this page that helped me be trouble free today! Btw, I warned the fools at the dealer that I would lose my mileage and could they please put a sticker in the door? And they just argued and said no that wont happen, again, like me and my forum pages were just silliness!!! Think i was around 152k when ordeal began. I love my Ellie and hope she never dies but am always on the look out for a low mileage second! Wishing the best 2014 to all my fellow enthusiast!! Moment of silence as it has now been 3 years since Honda yanked the most delightful car they ever conceived!

·
Registered
2 Posts
immobilizer...Keys...S2000

I just experienced this problem this weekend and thought my battery was going bye bye. I did a little research and found this on a S2000 thread concerning the same problem. Mine only started after I out an electronic access fob on my keys next to my Honda key. I removed the fob and will see what happens. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Group:Guest
Interests:Bicycling, SCUBA diving, Horses
Posted 22 January 2001 - 07:06 AM
Sorry to hear of the problem. This has been brought up before, but I don't remember the final outcome. It has been suggested that EM/RF emitters like Mobil Speed Pass and certain OTHER immobilizer-type keys on the same key ring may cause this type of problem. If it really is that all of your keys are not working, time to take a flat bed trip back to the dealer (should be covered by the new car warrantee). Good luck and please tell us how this works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same exact problems with my 2003 Element for the past year or so. Honda took out my remote start, reprogrammed by keys, replaced my computer, and then basically told me they don't know and good luck.

It had been a few months since she acted up, but then two weeks ago, she had a freak out again (wouldn't start, dash lights flashing, clicking noise from passenger side). I found this forum and was(/am) convinced it is the gauge cluster like you guys all concluded and called Honda again. They agreed to check into it, but said based on what I described and a video I provided of her freaking out, they didn't think that was right. After a week, they got her to freak out upon trying to start, and several hours later they called and said they think it's the fuel injection relays and they're going to replace them because they are faulty.

Did any of you ever try that or hear that could be the cause? I am hesitant to think this is the fix after being so sure it is the gauge cluster and don't want to get stranded somewhere one day.

Thank you!

·
EOC Rank: Seagull
1 Posts
DO NOT PURCHASE FROM BERNARDI

Here is a quick synopsis of my experience with them:
1) Order instrument panel as recommended by others on this thread
2) 1 day later I realized that I need a Canadian metric version
3) I went to cancel my order, which had not shipped yet
4) I carefully read the return policy which doesn't say anything about a restocking fee
5) I got an email that my return was approved (why wouldn't it, they didn't even ship it yet)
6) I got another email from Bernardi stating there would be a 15% restocking fee!!!
7) in my correspondence with the Bernardi rep I was told that this item HAD NEVER BEEN ORDERED BEFORE so they had to special order it for me...

By my count at least 5 others have posted that they ordered this part from Bernardi...so someone isn't telling the truth. I DO NOT RECOMMEND A COMPANY THAT FLAT OUT LIES TO ITS CUSTOMERS JUST TO MAKE AN EXTRA $!

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Mgarry. Interesting choice for an introductory post.

From http://www.bernardiparts.com/OrderProcedure.aspx:

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM BERNARDI

Here is a quick synopsis of my experience with them:
1) Order instrument panel as recommended by others on this thread
2) 1 day later I realized that I need a Canadian metric version
3) I went to cancel my order, which had not shipped yet
4) I carefully read the return policy which doesn't say anything about a restocking fee
5) I got an email that my return was approved (why wouldn't it, they didn't even ship it yet)
6) I got another email from Bernardi stating there would be a 15% restocking fee!!!
7) in my correspondence with the Bernardi rep I was told that this item HAD NEVER BEEN ORDERED BEFORE so they had to special order it for me...

By my count at least 5 others have posted that they ordered this part from Bernardi...so someone isn't telling the truth. I DO NOT RECOMMEND A COMPANY THAT FLAT OUT LIES TO ITS CUSTOMERS JUST TO MAKE AN EXTRA $!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello E-peeps! first post after reading a lot...

Well I went deep into this. I come from a Ford Sport track2002 and its a lot different from a Honda. So I read all the treats and I was surprise of why a cluster will cause mal functions to start my engine. Frustrated as everyone I refused even if I was reading the post everyone here. Yesterday I removed the instrument cluster and mine had drawings or some lines with the words Element on the back (white cover). I was refusing the idea of buying a new Panel and told myself This is electronics there must be a resistor or diode or anything causing a short. so I started to unclips the clear cover and the gauges. to my surprise I found a clear blue film that prevented me to keep going since this is my only car and I did not wanted to screw up more so I reassembled the whole unit again frustrated with my multimeter in hand ready... So I then proceeded to blast pressurized air to the connectors and thinking that might do a little better... No... that did nothing except to now I don't have mileage readings, but everything else including THE GREEN LIGHT OF DEAD seems fine. When I removed the green plugs they were very very hot. Not sure if that's normal. After cleaning and closing everything, I inserted the Key and like everyone else it took a little, but engine started. This is retarded... So I definitely need to buy the instrument cluster? Now I do have another question. Does this whole thing have to do something with the alarm and the ding dong chime that comes when you disarm it with the keyfob? when I am inside the car figure in out a way to hack around and have my car right away I notice the ding dong chime don't finish the Dong... not sure if I explained myself very well, Its kinda like it get shorted at the finish. And sometimes I can make my alarm active the horn and sometimes not... I really hope I explained myself the best way possible...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nacranym, them mini fuses are live. I'm all about multifunction, now I got two mini 5's with me at all times hehehe. But seriesly 10cents vs $200 plus and its still working today...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just applied Bross's handy gauge connector tip with the two fuses and so far so good. I'll return later with any results I have good or bad. If it works it sure beats replacing the instrument cluster. Also, if anyone is concerned about removing the dash please don't be. I had never done it before in my life and found a YouTube video and had it off within a couple of minutes. Reassembly was just as easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm now one week in and still have not had another "event" since applying Bross's handy fuse trick. I didn't drive it over the weekend which often would caused an event and we've had a couple of cold mornings which also would cause issues and its started every time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank goodness I found this thread!
03' w/ 165k mi
Has happened twice to me. I have a kiddo on the way, was going to start going on test drives until this thread!

The cluster replacements still working for everybody??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2003 Honda Element . The Green key symbol would appear even without the keys near the ignition . The car would not start until after the green light on the dash was gone . After many trips to the dealer the problem still reoccurred . I Replaced the Instrument Cluster about 6 weeks ago and the problem is gone . Hope this helps . Bill W

121 - 140 of 159 Posts