Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apparently have the same issue with the dash/cluster/immobilizer/AC as many other people here. However, no one has (for years) posted a solution, and this girl is reaching her limits! I can deal with a lot of things, but summer is approaching, and my baby boy needs AC... much less us getting stranded or me not being able to drive to work.

Here are the symptoms:

1) Dash lights gone except the flashing green key, battery light, check engine light and gear indicator light.
2) Gauges (speed, fuel, all of them) are dead.
3) Car will turn over but not start.
4) Weird humming near the glove box area that clicks off after a few seconds when the key is in the ACC position
5) Moving the windshield wiper control (on the steering column) to the fully on position will override something, allowing the car to start. All other issues remain.
6) AC will blow air not cooled, as apparently the AC compressor is hooked up to the same thing keeping my dash lights from working
7) Car will intermittently return to normal functioning, sometimes even while driving. All lights, alarms, etc will "come alive" for a time, but the problem comes back after a time.
8.) When this is happening frequently, I loose about 2 min/month on the radio clock (a voltage drop perhaps?)
9) If too cold or if the car sits for longer than a day, the battery drains significantly and car won't even turn over. Sometimes, if no one is around to help with a jump, the battery seems to recharge itself (weird, I know) and will have enough juice for one more try and the car will start.

I've been struggling with this issue long enough to know:

A) The battery is not the issue. Period.
B) The keys are not the issue.
C) The immobilizer is somehow involved (not as certain about this part).
D) The problem is worsening (more frequent instances, longer intervals)
E) There are many people who have posted over the years to no avail; not even Honda dealers know how to address the issue.

I'm making this post to ask a few things:
* Can I just bypass the immobilizer? Does anyone have a "how-to" or instructions via pm (I'm not a car thief) to help with that?
* If this is a voltage drop, how would I troubleshoot where it's occurring or how to address it?
* Has anyone, of the dozens (hundreds?) of people dealing with this, been able to resolve this issue and just not posted the answer?

By the way: :lol: I am hereby posting a reward of .1BTC (that's currently about 57 bucks, go check out bitcoin.org) to any member who replies with a solution that leads to this issue being resolved. Also, if I/We do find a solution, I'll be sure to post it for everyone else to view.

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In the twenty years I've been an automotive locksmith I have never seen a Honda with an erratic immobilizer. The only thing the immobilizer is capable of doing is preventing the vehicle from starting up in the first place. Symptom number three is the only one that fits but has no random symptom. If it was not accepting the key, it would never start. The telltale is the green key symbol in the instrument cluster. If it goes out, the key is accepted. If it is flashing, the key is not.

It seems to me like you have a much deeper issue affecting many systems. The Element uses a multiplex control system that relies on data lines transmitting over multiple systems and relies on proper communication. I think you need to get it properly diagnosed by a Dealer or a mechanic with the proper tools and experience. I do not believe bypassing your immobilizer will solve your problem.

I don't know where you are but I am intrigued. If you are anywhere near Jacksonville FL I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The FUSES in the car under hood and steering wheel

control many thing electrical - charts for what fuse takes care of what problem is easy on line it saved me tons knowing that

so go on line look up your particular car locate the fuse boxes most things are under hood - find out what isnt working go to auto store poop out the old pop in the new!
I have a honda element 2003 fixed many things also my brakes wouldn't go off i couldn't shift the car without using the key on side of gear shift all fixed very easy with fuses

·
Registered
1 Posts
I apparently have the same issue with the dash/cluster/immobilizer/AC as many other people here. However, no one has (for years) posted a solution, and this girl is reaching her limits! I can deal with a lot of things, but summer is approaching, and my baby boy needs AC... much less us getting stranded or me not being able to drive to work.

Here are the symptoms:

1) Dash lights gone except the flashing green key, battery light, check engine light and gear indicator light.
2) Gauges (speed, fuel, all of them) are dead.
3) Car will turn over but not start.
4) Weird humming near the glove box area that clicks off after a few seconds when the key is in the ACC position
5) Moving the windshield wiper control (on the steering column) to the fully on position will override something, allowing the car to start. All other issues remain.
6) AC will blow air not cooled, as apparently the AC compressor is hooked up to the same thing keeping my dash lights from working
7) Car will intermittently return to normal functioning, sometimes even while driving. All lights, alarms, etc will "come alive" for a time, but the problem comes back after a time.
8.) When this is happening frequently, I loose about 2 min/month on the radio clock (a voltage drop perhaps?)
9) If too cold or if the car sits for longer than a day, the battery drains significantly and car won't even turn over. Sometimes, if no one is around to help with a jump, the battery seems to recharge itself (weird, I know) and will have enough juice for one more try and the car will start.

I've been struggling with this issue long enough to know:

A) The battery is not the issue. Period.
B) The keys are not the issue.
C) The immobilizer is somehow involved (not as certain about this part).
D) The problem is worsening (more frequent instances, longer intervals)
E) There are many people who have posted over the years to no avail; not even Honda dealers know how to address the issue.

I'm making this post to ask a few things:
* Can I just bypass the immobilizer? Does anyone have a "how-to" or instructions via pm (I'm not a car thief) to help with that?
  • If this is a voltage drop, how would I troubleshoot where it's occurring or how to address it?
  • Has anyone, of the dozens (hundreds?) of people dealing with this, been able to resolve this issue and just not posted the answer?

By the way: :lol: I am hereby posting a reward of .1BTC (that's currently about 57 bucks, go check out bitcoin.org) to any member who replies with a solution that leads to this issue being resolved. Also, if I/We do find a solution, I'll be sure to post it for everyone else to view.

Thanks, guys!
Did you ever find a solution for this? I am having many of the same issues with a 2005 Honda Element.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts