Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was the first time I seen the new E in person.
Don't get me wrong I love my 08' E but not too crazy about the 09'.

Don't like the front (not in person) neither the cream or baige color seats. Why those colors? I have no clue. The only thing that looks good is the storage on top, USB and the cooler storage, THAT IS IT. I will never trade my 08' for an 09'.

Please forgive me, I'm not trying to do a bashing, is just my opinion and I would like to hear what other fellow members have to say.:cry:

In my opinion, for $23,900K, I would rather get an used (yes used)2007 check out the link here from cars.comAcura RDX with around 28K miles, nice and clean.
It comes with the 240-HP turbo charged engine, nice sound system, black leather, sunroof(in the front where my wife can use it), six CD changer that plays MP3 files, power seats, heated seats, excellent handling, 18" wheels. Daytime running ligths.

Oh my God, do I sound like I love that RDX or what?:shock::shock::shock:

The gas mileage is almost the same 19-23 as the E, diff is premium gas (about $3 more per fill) but who is counting anyway?:D

Actually, I was thinking about getting the ACURA RDX but my wife will shoot me:lol:

Again, just my opinion.

Peace.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i am not a fan of the '09 element either. some aspects are nice, but overall, honda went sour with the element.

as for acuras, the rdx is quite nice. if i had to get an suv, it would probably be that. however, my future plan for a second car is an acura tl type s. it would be nice to have a little car too. i already have plans in my mind for it. lol.

as for the gas mileage you posted for the rdx in comparison to the element, my element averages 26.5 when i drive nicely and when i push it (floor it almost everywhere, drive at 80+ on the freeway, etc.) i get 22.5. keep in mind that i have mods. when i was stock, my worst was in 19.something and my best was 23.4.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Ahaa yes. The old Resistance to change thing.

We see it all the time in big business. It does not matter what the change is there will be those that don't like it. It's just human nature. We get comfortable with things the way they are. We don't like to see them become something other, than what we are used to. We find reasons that the new version is less desirable than the old version was.

Is it really the color? The lack of a sun roof? The change in the wheel wells then maybe. The painted panels? Whatever it is, I'm guilty as charged!

Bring back the real Element, I know it's out there hiding someplace!

Dom

·
Registered
349 Posts
But real numbers are greater then advertised from Acura for RDX gas consumption. They say its really thursty.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I love my E but, that dosen't mean I don't chub when an RDX goes by. Married not dead rite.

I'm waiting for some poor RDX slob to get rear-ended so I can gut their power train and see what I can bolt on.:evil:

·
Registered
271 Posts

Dom
I have no problem with change. But, these particular changes were executed poorly. Yeah, I have a problem with the moonroof going bye bye, but why Nav and still no friggin heated mirrors? And expending money and time to engineer a cooler into the center console?

I just wish car companies, including Honda, would lay hands off and let the engineers design the cars instead of focus groups.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>...focus groups.

Exactly.

This happens to all "evolving" models. Each group of design changes with subsequent model years is intended to address sales resistance issues from the previous iteration(s). IOW, "you already bought your E, thank you, and now we're trying to prolong model life by appealing to a different buyer."

As to the OP, I wouldn't have a turbocharged anything as a daily driver. But to each their own.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'd jump on a used 07 RDX over a new 09 E any day. K23A is the only other Honda-Factory Turbo Charged engine since the old Honda Legend C20AT. The RDX will come when it's time for me to leave the E-nest, lol! Although, I've always wanted a TSX, tricked it out Accord Euro-R style.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The problem with that logic is you are can insert almost anything at that price point. People buy different cars for different reasons. You can get a new 2009 civic si for 22k OR a used 1998 corvette. Which one has better peformance? They would get comparable gas mileage but they are completely different vehicles. The RDX is a luxo CRV and while I like it, it wouldnt be for the "average" element owner.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

Bring back the real Element, I know it's out there hiding someplace!

Dom
Actually, its the stuff honda didnt change that bugs me about the 09-- still the craptastic goodyears, no passenger door unlock switch, no way to open the back tailgate without getting out, no drivetrain tweaks to eek out a few more mpgs.

if honda R&D went to all the trouble to engineer a $400 cooler, why cant they spend $0.50 per E on a passenger doorlock switch?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Actually, its the stuff honda didnt change that bugs me about the 09-- still the craptastic goodyears, no passenger door unlock switch, no way to open the back tailgate without getting out, no drivetrain tweaks to eek out a few more mpgs.

if honda R&D went to all the trouble to engineer a $400 cooler, why cant they spend $0.50 per E on a passenger doorlock switch?

I'm with you on the tires!

As for the passenger door lock switch, I could not care less. The tailgate, I don't need it. But for those that do, it's invaluable. If you use the E the way it was designed to be used ( Sleep in it ) then that is a necessary thing.

It would be tough to get more MPG from a box shaped Car like the E. It's just slightly heaver than the CRV, and the mileage is not that far off.

There is only so much you can do, with something that looks like the E does.

I don't want the impossible, But there are some things that could have used the up grade first. I do agree on that point.

I love the Sunroof on mine! For me that being gone would have me out looking at another brand of car for my next one.

Dom

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree that cooler is a complete waste. Not only do I find it silly thats its not even powered, it protrudes into the rear passenger cargo area. A $6 soft cooler accomplishes the same thing, hello ??

I do like that they finally gave us a thermometer ! Although I would never buy an 09 :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay, but not great

I traded an '03 in on an '08 back in May because of the uncertainty surrounding the E's future. Looking at the '09, I'm neither happy or sad that I did. I prefer a portable GPS unit like the Garmin that attaches to the vent in the dash. The 'improvements' to the '09 really don't address anything of significance or value to me. It's not that I dislike the '09, but it just appears to have received the type of superficial changes that a vehicle receives when it's about at the end of its production run. I could easily be happy with an '09, but I don't regret not waiting to buy one. Ho-hum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
$$$$

Given the relatively minor changes, to me the decision would all hinge on price. An '09 without a sunroof and with options I don't need and costing several thousand more than an '08? Well, the decision might be easy.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
There is only so much you can do, with something that looks like the E does.

I don't want the impossible, But there are some things that could have used the up grade first.
True. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind what they did any why. (I understand the physics behind the lack of good gas mileage in the E, it just seems odd to not try and increase it cough {6MT} cough, or even put the E on hold until they get a better engine design)

As for the OP, the RDX is sweet, especially in black. But I really drool over the MDX-- there's one that lives next to the bus stop I wait at every morning... not that I 'need' anything that big, but it sure looks good (even in the less sexy silver color) :wink:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm impatient, 2 08 ASMs at my dealer currently they have no 09s in yet and im very tempted to get the 08 who knows. :confused:

Not to rub salt...but I was at a dealer earlier this week trying to make a deal on an 09 PMM 4WD EX navi (didn't happen). The sales mgr told me that a guy came in to buy an 08, saw that they had an 09 CFM (it had just come in that day) and bought that instead.

I know that I'm in a tiny minority here but if you like the changes to the 09 I think it's worth the wait. IMHO

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did anyone see the pictures on the honda webpage with bikes in the back with seats lifted on the side? it seems the 09 needs to have the headrests pulled out to do that now?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I cannot imagine they *need* to be removed, although I'm sure thats how they designed it to happen so they probably depict it in the photo that way. Every square inch back there is the same as it was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts