Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hi

I'm currently the owner of a 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4 (for 5 years) and looking for a replacement. The Element caught my eye recently as it is a tad smaller than the X and just as sporty and utilitarian. I don't really ever take my X off-road, except for the occasional trip to New Mexico or Big Bend. However, I think the "four wheel drive" of the Element would suffice. I'm really interested in the EX AT 4x4 with Navigation system. I realize that the 4x4 isn't really a true 4x4 when compared the Xterra, but that's alright. I'm looking for better fuel economy, safety, and the ability to easily store bikes or whatever in the cargo area. Also, my wife keeps reminding me that it needs to be baby/kid friendly for the eventual addition(s) to our family. Anywho, getting a bit long-winded, so I'll step back and wait for the responses! :)

Sleepyt

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like you've got is all figured right. Don't know what mileage an Xterra gets, but I was surprised that an Element only gets 23-25. Still I personally love the E and you will too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you've got is all figured right. Don't know what mileage an Xterra gets, but I was surprised that an Element only gets 23-25. Still I personally love the E and you will too.

The Xterra 4x4 only gets about 15 mpg in the city and maybe, MAYBE 20 on the highway - and that's with a 6-spd manual transmission. My wife has a Volkswagen Rabbit and it's about on par with the Element's mileage rate, which isn't too bad.

On another note, I did test drive an LX model last weekend at the local dealership. Both my wife and I were very impressed with the Element. It rides incredibly smooth! The dealer was saying they were supposed to be ordering 2010 models in October; at which time I could order whatever my heart desires. I'm just hoping they can get me a good price since it's the only Honda dealer in a 50-mile radius (at least).

·
Registered
109 Posts
mcdavid honda of frisco, has a few used elements, two of which are really nice.

and four new ones as well. which new is always great.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I have several friends who have done the Xterra <--> Element swap on both directions for various reasons. They're definitely different beasts, with each having its purpose. X is definitely better off road in "real" 4WD situations, but is a bit of a guzzler and doesn't have the cavernous cargo capacity or road handling (and has carpet!). The E is great for storing bikes/kids/dogs/anything dirty, no carpet, handles extremely well for its size, and definitely better mileage, though lacks in the real off-road capacity. But from someone in MN/WI who drives in all weather and does a lot of farm road driving, it'll get you through just fine.

Now go get one :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
203 Posts
The E has been, for me, extremely kid friendly - I have a two year old. Only con is the doors can be a pain when trying to get kids in and out in a tight parking spot. But the extra space between the back and front seats definitely makes up for the door problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a quick note if towing is an issue-I'm not sure what the tow abilities are of the Nissan, but I was quite bummed about the limitations of the 'E' and towing, so keep that in mind if a trailer is in your future.

JASON

·
Registered
847 Posts
As a fellow Texan, bike nut and dad I can tell you I haven't found a better vehicle yet that accomodates the last 2. :lol: I was a small pickup driver for decades 'til I had a kid. Didn't like the 4 door truck prices so the E was the best compromise I could find.

I'm in the hill country just outside Austin so my mtb is inside my E probably 3/4 of the time. It's great that you can flip up one seat and not have to move the kiddie seat around to get the bike in/out. If you're doing a daycare run and riding afterwork you'll LOVE this feature. A HUGE plus is the rubber floor so dirt and kiddie snark leave no trace...well no permanent ones. :rolleyes: I literally blast all the bike dirt, cheerios, dog hair out with my leaf blower, then just a quick wipe w/baby wipes. The one negative on the newer models is the no sunroof. Mine is fairly odor free just by leaving the sunroof open even with my helmet & shoes permanently inside. The seats are great at not absorbing odors, all my vehicles usually smell like a gym, but not the E.

Like your X, I occasionally miss the ground clearance of a truck on some roadtrips, but it's much easier for my day-to-day trips.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick note if towing is an issue-I'm not sure what the tow abilities are of the Nissan, but I was quite bummed about the limitations of the 'E' and towing, so keep that in mind if a trailer is in your future.
Only towed once, and that was just a u-haul trailer. Next time we move, I don't plan on towing a trailer again. I'll probably be towing the E or the VW Rabbit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a fellow Texan, bike nut and dad I can tell you I haven't found a better vehicle yet that accomodates the last 2. :lol: I was a small pickup driver for decades 'til I had a kid. Didn't like the 4 door truck prices so the E was the best compromise I could find.

I'm in the hill country just outside Austin so my mtb is inside my E probably 3/4 of the time. It's great that you can flip up one seat and not have to move the kiddie seat around to get the bike in/out. If you're doing a daycare run and riding afterwork you'll LOVE this feature. A HUGE plus is the rubber floor so dirt and kiddie snark leave no trace...well no permanent ones. :rolleyes: I literally blast all the bike dirt, cheerios, dog hair out with my leaf blower, then just a quick wipe w/baby wipes. The one negative on the newer models is the no sunroof. Mine is fairly odor free just by leaving the sunroof open even with my helmet & shoes permanently inside. The seats are great at not absorbing odors, all my vehicles usually smell like a gym, but not the E.

Like your X, I occasionally miss the ground clearance of a truck on some roadtrips, but it's much easier for my day-to-day trips.
Good to hear. I know I'll miss some aspects of the X, but hopefully there's more to like about the Element to make up for it! :) I used to ride my bike all of the time when lived in San Antonio, but there's absolutely no where to ride in Lubbock - unless you're either a roadie or you love flat trails. Thanks for the info! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts