Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a way to add a few inches of ground clearance to my Element for driving on the sand. I've run across the BDS offroad site that says it has a kit of new coil springs that will raise the CRV two inches. Has anyone tried these BDS CRV springs on an Element??

This would seem like an easy way to add a few inches of ground clearance if the Element underbody really is the same as the CRV's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i was wondering if the stock 03 crv shocks and springs would fit ? ive looked at them both and they seem to have the same exact suspension. the shocks and springs are probably bigger.giving us the much needed inch and 1/2.(thats what she said) :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hope somebody figures this out and lets me know! Would love to have that extra ground clearance for the sand at the Outer Banks, NC. Love to drive through the sand, but am a little concerned about getting stuck. I wonder who would be able to answer this queary for us?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to find someone willing to put together a suspension lift kit for the element. The independent suspension all around will make it difficult, but I gaurantee it's do-able. There is a company in California called Calmini that makes suspension lifts for Nissan and Isuzu vehicles. I'm going to e-mail them and [email protected] to bug them about it. You should to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After I took my E off road this past Sunday it made me think that maybe an air shock system would be the best to increase/decrease ground clearance. Might be a bit expensive but it would be nice to choose to be higher off the ground while off-roadin, and to be lower to the ground while on parkways. There are many places in the NYC area that work with stuff like this, but I am not sure about around the country.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
[quote:4b3bbec3fa="makulit"]After I took my E off road this past Sunday it made me think that maybe an air shock system would be the best to increase/decrease ground clearance. Might be a bit expensive but it would be nice to choose to be higher off the ground while off-roadin, and to be lower to the ground while on parkways. There are many places in the NYC area that work with stuff like this, but I am not sure about around the country.[/quote:4b3bbec3fa]

I am hoping to find out today if an air shock system is doable for the element. I like the clearance for everyday driving but once in awhile I need two more inches. There is a link on my console install site to Modern Motors here in calgary the deal with air shocks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
[quote:6200c61d3c="ALMONDOG"]i was wondering if the stock 03 crv shocks and springs would fit ? ive looked at them both and they seem to have the same exact suspension. the shocks and springs are probably bigger.giving us the much needed inch and 1/2.(thats what she said) :)[/quote:6200c61d3c] Careful! The Element was designed to be a lighter than most suvs' but it is still 200 pounds heaveir than the CRV. This leads me to believe that CRV springs might not give you the height that you're looking for but in fact may lower your vehicle.
I would wait and watch... someone out there is bound to start mass producing these kits likethey have for so many others.

In the meantime... enjoying life beyond the walls. :idea:

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was at the dealer for my 10k maintenance I took notice to a dealer customized Element they had in the showroom. They swapped out the standard 16" rims for 17" and also added larger tires. The tires were not necessarily wider, just taller. This added a significant amount of height, atleast 2-3". I have seriously considered doing this myself but rims and new tires are not cheap but I have to say, I was mighty impressed with the look of it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
[quote:9bc38cac8f=" "]When I was at the dealer for my 10k maintenance I took notice to a dealer customized Element they had in the showroom. They swapped out the standard 16" rims for 17" and also added larger tires. The tires were not necessarily wider, just taller. This added a significant amount of height, atleast 2-3". I have seriously considered doing this myself but rims and new tires are not cheap but I have to say, I was mighty impressed with the look of it.[/quote:9bc38cac8f]

Any chance you can get a picture?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
A 2"-3" increase in ground clearance with just bigger tires and 17" wheels sounds like alot without having anything else modified. I ride on 235/70/16's which add atleast another half inch of clearance but they are really the largest you can go without significant rubbing. They do give the illusion of being a greatly larger tire since they fill the well so much and give the Element a beefier stance than with the meek stock Wranglers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i used the site:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

for the following:

Stock Tire: 215x70x16 - Radius: 13.92"

New tire: 235x70x16 - Radius: 14.47"
DIFF ( Addt'l Height ? ): .55 as noted by Empire

To get 2 - 3" on 17's ( next size to fit )

FOR 2" Lift
New tire: 235x80x17 - Radius: 15.90"
DIFF ( Addt'l Height ? ): 1.98 "

FOR 3" Lift
New tire: 255x85x17 - Radius: 17.03" ( not a real size ? )
DIFF ( Addt'l Height ? ): 2.95 "

NOW, THAT's .... A SPICY MEATBALL !!!!

on 17" you would need a 255x85x17 to get a 3" lift ? is this correct ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I want to go with the Dunlop Rover 215 85 R16's this will put the spedo off by a whopping 9% so basically 5mph
Diameter is 30.38 withradious of 15.19"
Since these are still 215s they should fit better since the rubbing would mostly occur in hard turns where extra width would be the most likely culprit of course the 235s are only .45" wider

·
Registered
349 Posts
[quote:1d8a5929be=" "]
Stock Tire: 215x70x16 - Radius: 13.92"

New tire: 235x70x16 - Radius: 14.47"
DIFF ( Addt'l Height ? ): .55 as noted by Empire
[/quote:1d8a5929be]

If the radius is the distance from the center to the edge and that distance is increased .55 of an inch, Then you would be lifting it 1.1 inches since you would go by the overall diameter. The radius is just measuring half the distance. Unless I'm just way off base with my 10th grade geometry.

·
Registered
183 Posts
sorry to burst everyones bubble but if you look at your front spring tower you'll quickly see you can go maybe 1 inch bigger on tires unless you go with a very much narrower tire before the tire will rub the strut tower :( :(

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
If the radius is the distance from the center to the edge and that distance is increased .55 of an inch, Then you would be lifting it 1.1 inches since you would go by the overall diameter. The radius is just measuring half the distance. Unless I'm just way off base with my 10th grade geometry.
The new size tire itself is 1.1" taller than stock but the Element is only raised .55" higher in clearance because it only sits on half of the larger tire.
The upper half of the height just eats up wheel well space, as do the sides.

·
Registered
349 Posts
doh. my bad. makes total sense. too many beers tonight..haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Correct about the shock tower. I have put just about the largest sized tire you can with out rubbing the tower. No problems as of yet. And yes I did get that 1"... However if you get an off-set rim, that will pull the iire/rim away from the tower, it is possible to have a larger tire than what will fit under the tower normally...

Joe Bohannon

·
Registered
156 Posts
DO A SEARCH!! This topic has been covered before....A lift kit was found some time ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can buy a set of wheel spacers to bring the wheel farther away from the strut tower. Then the wheel well size is the main problem. Don't forget that with a larger tire, you will be changing the final drive ration for the worse, at least as far as off roading goes...but for the better from a high speed/highway aspect. From what I understand, the E is geared a little high for off roading anyway. A very large tire might really kill your low speed pulling ability. My calcs figure about a 20% difference depending on tire size, of course...cheers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts