Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the site to find the answer to a problem I have, no luck. Hoping some can help.

Problem:

Honda 2006 EX
My left turn signal with the headlights off will work but the radio display & drive indicator and mileage indicator blink. With the headlights on the left turn signal is inoperative. The right turn signal is not affected and operates normally. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It sounds like you have a open neg. issue on one of the left turn lights. Have you done any lighting mods?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you have a open neg. issue on one of the left turn lights. Have you done any lighting mods?
Nope. Did have a U-haul hitch with wiring harness installed last summer but the problem just developed this week. It was very wet all week here not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

·
12,179 Posts
Nope. Did have a U-haul hitch with wiring harness installed last summer but the problem just developed this week. It was very wet all week here not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

I would look at the hitch harness. Was the harness sliced into the tail light harness? Try unhooking the harness and see if your problem goes away. Since the there isn't a plug and play harness for the 2005-2006 E's there is a history of problems caused by aftermarket trailer harnesses on these years.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would look at the hitch harness. Was the harness sliced into the tail light harness? Try unhooking the harness and see if your problem goes away. Since the there isn't a plug and play harness for the 2005-2006 E's there is a history of problems caused by aftermarket trailer harnesses on these years.
Thanks. I will look at how it's connected and see if I can remove that from the equation. I didn't tie the two together since so much time had laspe since the install.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Problems with the convertor box on the harness may not appear right away.
True....if it even has one! And the wetness might have helped a corroded connection fail completely.

Pull off you left taillight and look at the wiring coming out the backside....I'm guessing you'll see some sort of crimped on "vampire" connectors. (If not right by the taillight they may be attached underneath the car) This method is an invitation for trouble (even if it takes a few years to show up.) The solution is to remove the "improper" wiring, repair any damage to the vehicle wiring, and install a proper vehicle specific ('05-'06 model year) trailer harness. See the racks & hitches section for more info.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts