Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to buy an element. I am in love with this car. Anyone know if a baby seat will fit easily in the back seat?. My wife is "expecting" and we are doing the SUV search.. We want to go "element " as we are loyal honda people... Any info woudl be great...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not only will it fit, it is designed for it. The Element has the seat anchors to hold the baby seat in the back.

While we don't have kids, it looks easy to secure one.

Good luck with the baby

·
Registered
30 Posts
The owners manual has a few pages outlining the process to use in attaching front/rear facing seats for infants/children. When we went for the first test drive, the salesman did not know where the anchor locations were located. My wife located the the tether supports on the ceiling area just inside the cargo door - there is one on each side) and apparently anchors location are available for Canadian market needs as well per the owners manual.

We have used the baby seat on both back seats - need to tighten seat belt per manual instructions and then attach tether strap to ceiling and also tighten as you probably do with you your current auto.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i received the child safety info too with my element, too, but i think that is Standard Operating Procedure for any vehicle.

Suggestion perhaps find the seat you want for your baby to be, or borrow a friends.. take it to the dealer try it in the vehicle to see how well it fits in and check to see how stable it feels.

i would expect it should be fine, but i believe in assume nothing, be safe, be careful & be sure..! Let us know please when you do, do this and what you experience.

I do have an element, so if i transport any of my friends kids in it i will let you know. I am also hoping to have kids so i eventually will know too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of the main reason we got this Not a minivan - not and SUV, non a pickup truck, not a van wunderKar!

We have a youngster on the way. The baby seat fits right in the back seat using the federaly mandated LATCH system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have one installed (which also has the LATCH, so it's really easy to install). IMO, the baby seat is easier to deal with in the E than it is to deal with in my wife's 98 Accord...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That is a great help Puppy: about the install of the child seat in the Element.. I kind thought the higher interior might aid in that as well.. curious what you think does make the difference, also which seat you are using that works nicely! Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me and my wife have a 5 month old girl and the loading and unloading of car seats is easier then any vehicle I have owned. With the doors both open, the front seat scoots forward on its own. There is a ton of room to access the rear seat. The whole thing being higher helps alot as well. We are about to switch to a front facing seat and am really glad that the LATCH system is in place and available. I can't think of another vehicle that would provide easier access.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As to what makes a child seat so easy to use in the Element, "There is a ton of room to access the rear seat."

I don't remember what brand seat we have, but anything with the LATCH system is very easy to use (the LATCH is essentially a hook that's built into the child's seat and it hooks right onto some hooks that are built into the Element). My wife's car, 1998 Accord, doesn't have the LATCH....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been usin the "Comfort" brand car seat in my E (bought it the same day, 'cause the old one didn't match). The LATCH system is sweet! I've been using the old seatbelt style carseats for about 4 years now, and the safety in this new system is obvious. Also, WAY easier to get it in secure. The thing I like about the Element and carseats is the ease of loading and unloading my daughter. She loves it because she has the best view in the house (including the sunroof). I found that the upper strap is easier to "snug" up if you recline the seat you're mounting it to just one notch, tighten it (afore mentioned strap), then raise the seat back up to fully upright. Also, I bought a (color matched, of course) floor mat, folded in half (soft side out), and placed this under the carseat to avoid leaving any unsightly grooves in the Element's seat. I folded it in half because it is twice as big as it needs to be, the abrasive side is not in contact with anything but itself, and it makes the barrier twice as thick. You can't get away with putting anything under a car seat if you're using the seatbelt style system, but with the LATCH type, the secure-ness (?) of the carseat is not dependant on upper body strength, and is not held "down" onto the seat (ie, it cannot work loose, if the floormat, towel, blanket, etc., under the car seat works loose).
-Anthony
PS. Honda rules!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have 19 month old, and the Element is great for us. Especially the plastic floor, since he loves to throw food and drinks when he is done. We thought the suicide doors would be a pain, but its already become natural. The only downsides are that you need to lean farther in to get to the baby (than a sedan), and the kid is pretty far away from you when you are driving. Who ever suggested sliding back seats is a genius! We love it, its a perfect family machine.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
Dont have kids but, I put my nephews car seat in today and it was a breeze. The roominess and highness of the backseat make it easy to install. And the points for the strap are built right in the ceiling, unlike in the car where they are on the back deck. The roominess also let him swing his legs and he sit and stared out the roof the whole trip. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
After we picked ours up we went to Florida for a week. Acfter a week of beaches, sand, Disney, Cheerios, and various other snakcs, spills. The Elephant just cleaned right up. Witht he way the door open its perfect for getting kids in and out of the carseat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So now they are telling me that there's an EX-AWD GG rolling out of the factory in 2 weeks with my name on it (assuming the dealer sticks to his word or close to it on the deal we made) - yay! My question is for those who have rear-facing infant seats (and I guess all car seats) installed in their Elements - how does it work (my little girl just turned 4 weeks old yesterday)? You LATCH the base into the seat and then install some kind of tethering device into the roof? Where is this device? Where do you get the tether straps? Or do you just install the car seat without the base? My other concern is, with LATCH and this tethering system can you remove the car seat base and safely reinstall it yourself? I want to be able to take 3 passengers on short notice when the baby isn't with me, but I don't want to have to go back to the fire station every time I want to reinstall the seat base as is the case with my pre-LATCH VW. Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The tether straps will come with your carseat. There are two plastic covers over the Latch mounting points on the seat itself. Then in the rear just above the rear glass there are two sliding doors that expose the rear Latch point. Whe I put in our seat (front facing for a 3 year old) I installed it as you normally would with the seatbelt, then attached the Latch straps. Its easy to yourself. Its a carseat, not rocket science. The key to getting in in correct is to put your knee into the seat with all your weight when you tighten the straps. You want little or no movement of the carseat in the cars seat. Your are trying to make the baby's seat as motionless as possible by strapping it in very tight to make it a fixed object in the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone installed an infant carseat with the LATCH system in their E yet? We have the EvenFlo Portabout 5, which has two parts, the seat and the base that stays in the car. When I hooked it up using LATCH at the dealership, the base seemed to lock in pretty well in the back, where it hooks into the seat--but when I tightened it in there, the base near the front of the seat came off the seat and stuck up in the air.

I can post a picture when I get around to taking one. In the meantime, has anyone noticed this and/or figured out how to solve it? Our baby is not yet here but will be soon! Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't have any knowledge at all about baby seats in cars, but I wanted to wish you all the best for your baby's birth.

Share pictures - of the carseat and of baby - when you can!

·
Registered
18 Posts
[quote:a44349b659="TheLusciousHellcat"]I don't have any knowledge at all about baby seats in cars, but I wanted to wish you all the best for your baby's birth.

Share pictures - of the carseat and of baby - when you can![/quote:a44349b659]

Will do, of course will show the babE as soon as he/she shows up! Thanks for your wishes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have a 6 week old daughter and are awaiting the delivery of our E, so I am concerned about this too. In our current car, the seat base sticks up a little in the front when the back is tightened down (though it is a pre-LATCH car so it may be more pronounced in your car), but when we put the seat and the baby on the base, it sits fine and the little level indicator is all blue (good to go). I think the function of the LATCH system is to prevent as much side to side lateral movement as possible - I don't think a little looseness in the forward-backward plane is a big deal. You can confirm this with your local fire station (that's what ours told us when they installed the seat base in our VW). Other posters have also talked about tether straps that attach to the roof of the E just inside the liftgate - do you know anything about this? Our car seat is a GRACO leisuresport and I don't remember it coming with any kind of tether straps like that.

1 - 20 of 376 Posts