Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the car stereo place today and I was testing seakers to replace the ones that I have and it turns out that I really like the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components, I even liked them better than the JL's and Mb Quarts sets. The place I was at wanted $449.00 for them and I found places on the internet that ranged between $209.00 and $500.00 now that is a wide price range. Is there something I should look at like maybe where they were made. Kindof like buying a Fender Strat that was made in Mexico rather than USA which is known to be less expensive and can be known to fool an amature.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of car audio retail! :wink:

The truth is that it costs very little to produce a speaker unless using extremely rare materials or a large amount of hand assembly and testing.

Most of what people pay for in car audio is name brand recognition, second to that is the quality of materials.

There is usually more than 80% markup after the manufacturer puts a speaker in a box. Another 10% or so goes into advertising and brand awareness and a small percentage goes into customer support although it it usually much cheaper for a manufacturer just to offer replacement instead of troubleshooting.

Authorized dealers must adhere to a price structure set by the manufacturer in order to control and keep level the market pricing. Everyone, including gray market internet storefronts pays the same exact price for all merchandise unless it was stolen, refurbished, or they are a high quantity buyer.

The reason you see such a range between an auth'd dealer and the internet is because the internet dealer can aford to make a lot less money on each sale - he does not have to pay staff, or the electric bill, or rent for a store, or a demo room, or heating costs, keep an inventory, or any of that. Plus he has to stand behind his work and support you after the sale if anything breaks.

The internet dealer's cost is simply less and he is counting on the fact that the manufacturer will probably not notice or be able to prove he is price gouging. This is only possible via the obscurity the internet provides. All he has to do is provide a web site and take orders, he simply has the items drop shipped from the manufacturer to you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I enjoy the "brightness" of the Infinity's much the same way I enjoy the "brightness" of my Klipsch home speakers. If you buy off of e-bay, you will shave even more $$. I bought my Infinity's from a reputable e-bay dealer and had Best Buy near by, do the installation. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks EMass for the explanation, I think I may go with these speakers at this low price, I can get them for around $235 total from EBay. I need to get something for the back now to replace the 5 1/4 polks, possibly something that will put out a lower to mid bass sound and not as bright like the Infinities .Now all I have to do is get an amp installed. I would love to get a JL Audio 300/4 amp to fit somewhere, I am thinking possibly where the spare tire is housed and making a removable unit where the amp can sit on on put it either under or on top of the tire. I have not even looked there yet, tomorrow I will check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts