Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SRS light came on recently and while at the dealer having issue with my a/c I had them check on the light. They said that the airbag light was a faulty driver side seatbelt latch, and that it was covered under warranty. The dealer said that anything regarding the airbags and if directly associated with the function of the airbags was covered under warranty for the life of the car.

Just wanted to through this out there for any of you who may have issues with this light or your airbags. The service manager could have been mistaken, but I did get the latch replaced for free so who knows.

If this has already been mentioned elesewhere I appologize.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just took my 2004 Element in yesterday and had the same faulty seatbelt sensor as the cause for the airbag light. The part is on order with everything covered under warranty. In the meantime, I believe they reset or told the system to ignore the sensor and I'm driving it until they call me back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Read your Warranty Information Booklet and Owner's Manual

SRS components are covered by the New Vehicle basic warranty, and are NOT lifetime warranted parts. Some extended warranty policies have additional coverage of SRS components.

The Seatbelts used to be covered by a limited lifetime warranty, but starting after the 2006 model year, the coverages have been changed to 15 years / 150,000 miles (whichever occurs 1st).

There are plenty of stories on the internet about what is covered, and plenty of people have received warranty repairs on vehicles that are technically 'out-of-warranty', but individual results may vary. Don't be mislead by hearsay and conjecture - read the information that was provided with your vehicle, or contact the manufacturer directly.

FWIW, seatbelt buckle switches are supposed to be considered components of the SRS system, as they do not affect the function of the seatbelt.

Depending on the mood of the individual District factory representative (as in: how often does this individual get his/her a$$ chewed for their subject dealers being too high relative to the zone average in warranty repairs) failures of the seat buckle switch may or may not be allowed under the extended seatbelt warranty.

Short story is, some people get expired-warranty SRS faults repaired for free, some don't. Damage (chewed, cut, stained, collision, etc...), unapproved modifications (seat belt beep eliminated, etc...), contamination (dirt, coins, debris, etc...) are never supposed to be covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some Mook,

Thanks for the great information. They agreed to cover all cost and I scheduled it for Friday as they already called that the part was in. I'm sure it helps that my 2004 Element is just under the 95,000 mile mark. Again, thank you for the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts