Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm still looking for my E (want a 2007-2008 AWD EX). My mechanic advised against getting anything with a sunroof due to potential leakage issues; I also have a friend who just sold her Outback because she was tired of her leaky sunroof. I still want one (preferably not an aftermarket install). I have been reading a lot of the forums to learn more about the E, but I have only seen a few complaints about that particular problem, and only after I went looking for them. Are sunroof leaks actually a common problem with Elements, or is this rare? For those of you who have an EX with the original sunroof, how is it working out for you? If leakage has happened to you, is there a fix to the problem?
Thanks and be well!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Our sunroof isn't really a sunroof. More like a ventilation panel. Or maybe sun-burning panel. Whatever you want to call it, it just leans outward and doesn't retract back or anything. So there's not much to go wrong.

However, there are drain hoses for the sunroof, which routes under (above?) the headliner which can get clogged causing water to pool by the sunroof. You can clean the clogged hoses with a metal wire.

I understand his reluctance to recommend or work on a sunroof but it's not REALLY a sunroof.

·
Registered
Honda Element 2007 EX MT
341 Posts
Hi all,
I'm still looking for my E (want a 2007-2008 AWD EX). My mechanic advised against getting anything with a sunroof due to potential leakage issues; I also have a friend who just sold her Outback because she was tired of her leaky sunroof. I still want one (preferably not an aftermarket install). I have been reading a lot of the forums to learn more about the E, but I have only seen a few complaints about that particular problem, and only after I went looking for them. Are sunroof leaks actually a common problem with Elements, or is this rare? For those of you who have an EX with the original sunroof, how is it working out for you? If leakage has happened to you, is there a fix to the problem?
Thanks and be well!
No issues after 14 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our sunroof isn't really a sunroof. More like a ventilation panel. Or maybe sun-burning panel. Whatever you want to call it, it just leans outward and doesn't retract back or anything. So there's not much to go wrong.

However, there are drain hoses for the sunroof, which routes under (above?) the headliner which can get clogged causing water to pool by the sunroof. You can clean the clogged hoses with a metal wire.

I understand his reluctance to recommend or work on a sunroof but it's not REALLY a sunroof.
The sunroof is removable though, right? Do you ever remove it?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,464 Posts
I too had concerns about leaky sunroofs before I bought mine. I even declined to pursue what looked like a great deal on an '06 EX with AWD and 5 speed manual in Kiwi Metallic (my all time favorite Element color); partially for that same reason.

But for the 4 years now that I have been hanging around on this site, there has been near zero concerns mentioned about leaking sunroofs.

Do keep this in mind though: Honda in most of the model years paired the Sunroofs and AWD together. So if you want AWD and don't want a Sunroof; you may have an issue!

All early AWD Elements came from the factory with sunroofs; with the exception of the 2009 - 2011 models, because the sunroof was dropped in 2009.

All 2WD Elements came from the factory without sunroofs.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,529 Posts
Original owner of my (now) 175K EX. ZERO sunroof issues, and I usually have mine open all summer long. Hope this helps!! 😁

·
Registered
123 Posts
03' AWD EX ZERO Leaks from Skylight. Skylight is what Honda calls it, stargazer is what my gf calls it. We do lots of camping trips and our rear seats work as a murphy bed when both front seats have their headrest removed & lowered flush with rear seats, BOOM! = Bed. Honda was a genius designed the one and only, Element.
As for the front windshield, thats another story, had a leak, and after installing a strip of grey T-rex tape up top i havent had leaks ever since. GL!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Element EX (4wd Auto, Atomic Blue)
9 Posts
New owner here... I have the same concerns and it shows no signs of leakage. I recently took it off, cleaned all the seals and very lightly lubed them with silicon grease to help keep the seals soft into the future. Did the same for my rear window seals, since I did notice a very small amount of leaks back there last rain. Fingers crossed since I live in the rainy PNW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve got a 2008 5-Speed, EX, AWD. Never had a single issue with the sunroof leaking we use it regularly when car camping out of the E.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks and be well!
I been driving my 04 EX for 17 years with no leaks in the moonroof. When I bought it the dealer suggested I not remove the roof because it could be tricky to reinstall. That might be where/when leaks happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks and be well!
I will be selling my 2009 EX-AWD in Mid June. It has 135,000 miles. It does not have a sunroof and is in very good condition. Located in Bend, Oregon

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2004 and have had no problems with the sunroof. However, you should know that AWD & sunroofs go together. You won't find an AWD w/o a sunroof. ALL non-sunroof models are FWD, not AWD. So if AWD is one of the reasons you are looking at an Element, you will have to find one with the sunroof. Also, if you intend to add the pop-top camper option to your Element, remember that the access to the sleeping pad upstairs is through the sunroof hole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks and be well!
Hi - I am selling my 2008 Element EX AWD if you are interested. I have zero issues with the sunroof as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My driver door leaks, but the moonroof still keeps the damp out. It’s a 2003. And it doesn’t go in and out like a pocket door, so I’m guessing not quite as bad as your average Beamer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2007 AWD with what I call a moonroof. Has been parked in the sun its whole life, never have lubed the seals or put UV on (slaps forehead! oh so stupid! doing tomorrow!) but have never had a leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m the original owner of a 2005 EX AWD automatic. The sunroof was standard on that model. My only issue was the drain holes/ lines plugged a few years ago. I lived in a wooded area with lots of tree “ stuff” I just ran a small solid wire down and blew them out with my compressor. Issue gone. I do try to clean them now out every year in the fall before the rainy season in western WA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never had an issue with my sunroof. In fact I've had more issues with a windshield on another car. The E has been awesome!

·
Registered
2007 Honda Element EX
3 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks and be well!
Hello,

Firstly, I will say that this is not an issue that I have seen been discussed as a reoccurring issue. Secondly, this is the first time I have heard or seen but I’m sure some quality silicone could easily patch an issue like that.

I believe the pro’s of the vehicle will easily outweigh this concern. I have been a proud owner for 8 years and though my Element has had its fair share of issues, the memories and versatility of the vehicle surpasses any hiccups she has had. I would say this to you, GO BUY ONE!!

-Q

1 - 20 of 51 Posts