Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I'm new around here. I have a 2008 LX E in tango red pearl. From day one I wanted to mod it, and that I did quickly. I recently installed an Injen CAI, but decided to install the short ram option for fear of hydro lock, i did this just about two weeks ago. It was purchased from ebay. Yesterday I got curious if it was really street legal and would pass smog tests. It is street legal but I shockingly found out it's "CARB EO" is pending! i'm literally shaking right now because i'm scared i might get pulled over for installing a pending intake. The installation was also very long as this is the first mod i've ever installed on any of my vehicle and i'm afraid I might have to reinstall my factory stock intake from honda again. My car only has 1,789 miles on it, it's practically new. What should I do? reinstall my factory intake and settle for a K&N filter or can I leave my injen short ram intake in when I go in for my first smog test and pray it passes the test? Please... any advice is appreciated as i'm extremely concerned about this.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Leave the short ram in. You should be fine. When you get your smog check, either take it to someone who will pass you with it in, or take out the intake and put in the oem one. Also, do not worry about getting pulled over. Police do not really know. I got pulled over and was forced to pop my hood. The officer asked me to tell him what everything was. The intake has some stickers on it. Mine is an AEM and has the CARB EO sticker on it and I pointed and told him. He barely even looked. He had no idea what I was talking about. You will be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that makes me feel loads better! I am now considering an K&N or AEM CAI though in the near future. Moreover the AEM. They only have it go as far as the 2006 models, would it fit a 2008 LX? Abulevan you're so awesome, thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it! My ST Sway bars are on the way by the way, I remember a few weeks back you helped me with that issue :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You need to make sure it is good for your year. The older ones will not work because you have a MF sensor. Try giving AEM a call. They might have one. If not, I suggest getting the Injen CAI. The K&N Typhoon would be third in line for me cause that way you would not have to deal with the smog checks. But, I AM SURE, you can find a smog check location that will pass your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have the Injen CAI intake, it has a short ram option if you don't want to use it as a CAI because of hydrolock, I installed the CAI as a short ram instead. The CAI extension is sitting in a box in the garage (chuckles). I sure hope you're right abulevan about a place here in sunny san diego that will pass it. My E will be two in 6 months and I know smog tests are required for vehicles that are over 6 model years old. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone down here passes it. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh lol! I'll have to take your word for it. I'll have to do some searching then. We have a fair amount here as well. I've seen Injen short rams from like 04 that are still EO pending to this day. I don't want to bash Injen, but what's with the hold up! :confused:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh lol! I'll have to take your word for it. I'll have to do some searching then. We have a fair amount here as well. I've seen Injen short rams from like 04 that are still EO pending to this day. I don't want to bash Injen, but what's with the hold up! :confused:
Probably the huge waste of money they probably have to spend greasing palms... I mean getting it approved. Injen products are probably legal in every other place on the earth accept Ca, and obviously people there still install them. Not a huge incentive to go through all the BS. The irony is that Injen is based out of California! :twisted:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Injen is so far the ONLY manufacturer making Intakes compatible with 07-09, more unique because the 07-09's added the MAF sensor to the stock intake tubing (06 and older do not have this). AEM, Fujita, K&N don't make one for the 07-09's. Caution when running Short RAM config, keep an eye if the CHECK ENGINE light turns on, a while back a few 07-08 owners had this issue... until they ran the full cold air intake and the CHECK ENGINE light disappeared (didn't matter if it was an LX/EX or SC... only for years 07 and up). Always keep your factor intake on hand until that SMOG day (I know it's way out there in the future, but better to be safe than sorry). In fact the stock intake can fit inside the Injen box if you still have it, playing a bit of 'tetris' with the pieces. ;) Don't worry about getting pulled over for this thing (only happens if your ride attracts attention, maybe in a bad way in terms rice, lol). Drive safe out there, dude.

Hi everyone! I'm new around here. I have a 2008 LX E in tango red pearl. From day one I wanted to mod it, and that I did quickly. I recently installed an Injen CAI, but decided to install the short ram option for fear of hydro lock, i did this just about two weeks ago. It was purchased from ebay. Yesterday I got curious if it was really street legal and would pass smog tests. It is street legal but I shockingly found out it's "CARB EO" is pending! i'm literally shaking right now because i'm scared i might get pulled over for installing a pending intake. The installation was also very long as this is the first mod i've ever installed on any of my vehicle and i'm afraid I might have to reinstall my factory stock intake from honda again. My car only has 1,789 miles on it, it's practically new. What should I do? reinstall my factory intake and settle for a K&N filter or can I leave my injen short ram intake in when I go in for my first smog test and pray it passes the test? Please... any advice is appreciated as i'm extremely concerned about this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the advice guys! It's really set me at ease about whether it was a good idea to install it in the first place. Totally my fault, I just wanted better performance and gas mileage that's all. Nice heads up on the Check Engine YH1NBPSC! I'll keep an eye on it as I do have the CAI installed as a Short Ram. I was curious on what you said about the stock intake being able to fit the Injen box so I looked into it. Would I have to uninstall my short ram and install my factory intake box, leave the factory filter off and instead attach the short ram tubing to the factory box? or leave my cai short ram as is, remove the injen filter and attach the factory filter? not quite sure on what you mean as i'm really interested in doing this like right away.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Everything that's CARB legal in CA is already on my V. Weapon R Short ram, Exhaust System, spark plugs, etc...

The other funny thing is that the 1998 Cr-v can have a Greddy Turbo System, but it can not have an intercooler...ok... I got an entire list of stuff over at the Crv-oc, but it doesn't apply to the Element.

Here is where you will find all the parts you can have:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

The only problem you'll have with something not CARB legal, is that you will have to remove it for smog checks, and put the stock stuff back. IF this is not an issue for you, then just do it. As long as your car is not loud and obnoxious, there is no reason for the CHP to pull you over and ask you to lift the hood. But if they did (you have to have a really loud car) and you didn't have the appropriate Executive Order tags on the engine bay, they will impound the car, or give you fix-it tickets depending.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Haha, I meant the disassembled stock intake can be placed in the box that the injen intake came in, for safe keeping. Sorry to have confused you buddy. :)

But yeah, leave short ram mode and keep an eye on the check engine light. So far yours isn't having that issue like some have.

I was curious on what you said about the stock intake being able to fit the Injen box so I looked into it. Would I have to uninstall my short ram and install my factory intake box, leave the factory filter off and instead attach the short ram tubing to the factory box? or leave my cai short ram as is, remove the injen filter and attach the factory filter? not quite sure on what you mean as i'm really interested in doing this like right away.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Glad to hear there is an option for the '09 FINALLY!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, I meant the disassembled stock intake can be placed in the box that the injen intake came in, for safe keeping. Sorry to have confused you buddy. :)

But yeah, leave short ram mode and keep an eye on the check engine light. So far yours isn't having that issue like some have.
Oh, really thought you had a plan there for a sec :roll: yeah i thinik i'll do that. no worries, thanks for advice, really helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Actually on the CARB list, I don't see a single thing legal for 07-09. Only 03 - 06.
You have to call to check. It is really hard to find updates online. That or you need to go to the state website and type in all your info. You can use any intake that has the MAF sensor. It does not have to be specific to the newer 07 and 08 models as to body did not change. For the 09, you may have an issue with the new fenders and wheel wells. Maybe you can buddy up with someone and mock fit one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
And the ONLY intakes that have a MAF sensor are the ones specifically designed for the 2007-2008 Elements - most compatible pipe bends, etc... Why Frankenstein something up with a different car's intake even if it has a MAF sensor? As I probably mentioned before, engine/internals didn't change from 2007-2008-2009, all the same except for the body.

You can use any intake that has the MAF sensor. It does not have to be specific to the newer 07 and 08 models as to body did not change. For the 09, you may have an issue with the new fenders and wheel wells. Maybe you can buddy up with someone and mock fit one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts