Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Injen exhaust yesterday. The build quality, welds and pipe diameter and tubing thickness is top notch. I backed the Element up onto ramps and did the swap. It only took about 15 minutes going slow and carefully. The sound is good, deep down low and very quiet when cruising. It is actually a bit quieter than the stock exhaust with the resonator removed. I noticed slightly more power down low in the rev range. I also noticed a little more movement/sway of the Injen exhaust because it's noticeably heavier than the stock exhaust. This caused a little banging on the rear sway bar and muffler heat shield when driving. I bent the heat shield up a bit and I bought two more and doubled up the rubber exhaust hangers. I also had to trim a bit more plastic around the exhaust cutout on the rear bumper for good clearance on my 2010. I was mostly worried about it sounding too loud/obnoxious/ricery but it is very nice and none of those things. It will burn and smell bad for 2 days BTW.

Now the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks good man, I need to ditch my stock exhaust and do something like this. Guess it is time to start eating more beans for dinner and decking out my ride. :oops:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Looks great. Nice to know its a little quieter than having the resonator removed. What is the diameter of the pipe?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stock pipe is just short of and not quite 2" diameter. The Injen is 2-1/4" diameter, just measured it.

Well my better half still thought the Injen was way too loud for the neighborhood especially at startup( I disagree ). It has a mean rude rumble when cold. Sooooo...we now have an agreement of a personal matter. She paid for me to go to a muffler shop and I had them install a stainless steel resonator. It's so quiet now it almost sounds like stock with an edge. At least it's still free flowing. You win some and you lose some I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stock pipe is just short of and not quite 2" diameter. The Injen is 2-1/4" diameter, just measured it.

Well my better half still thought the Injen was way too loud for the neighborhood especially at startup( I disagree ). It has a mean rude rumble when cold. Sooooo...we now have an agreement of a personal matter. She paid for me to go to a muffler shop and I had them install a stainless steel resonator. It's so quiet now it almost sounds like stock with an edge. At least it's still free flowing. You win some and you lose some I guess.
I to am thinking of getting the Injen ex-system. Most guys talk about the awful "drone" sound at a cruising speed of 60 or 70 I believe. Have you driven at that speed before and or after the resonator install, did you get this drone sound? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's loudest at startup till it gets warm. No drone at any speed. It's not loud but you hear it at certain speed/rpm's and almost not at all other times .The SS resonator was $100 installed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same issue with the exhaust hitting the sway bar when I was turning hard to the left. What I did was move the hanger bar up into the "H" looking portion of the rubber mounts, raising the exhaust up just enough to stop the bumping. By doing that it also kept the exhaust from swaying and tightened the whole system up a bit.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Haha, my wife actually loves that its louder now, she thinks it gives the E some attitude. She was the one who started calling it "growler", and now we plan on ordering plates with that name on it.:razz:

·
Registered
519 Posts
So its "dumb" to try to make any Element faster cause its always gonna be a slow box when another member was talking about N2O. But here you are installing a $600 catback. Which most people consider is a performance part.
Hygieneboy I really don't understand you man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, he ain't gonna blow his engine with this little bolt on exhaust. The addition you are talking about is an early grave for a E.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Let's leave off the N20 controversy in this thread.

Hygieneboy, the bends look a bit different between the stock and Injen pipes. Do you think that is the cause of the banging you noticed on the rear sway bar and muffler heat shield? Also, where did the resonator go, relative to the stock parts diagram below—in front of the muffler, as OEM?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bends are slightly different yes and it's a tight fit snaked over the rear sway bar with the stock exhaust anyways. With the larger diameter pipe and slightly different bend plus the added weight of the exhaust, it made it move aound a bit more than stock and bang in a few spots. A couple $4 rubber exhaust hangers fixed the excessive movement and banging. I added the resonator in just about the stock resonator location. The new modified injen exhaust has an ever so slight tone to it now but it is significantly quieter than a normal one and just barely louder than an OEM exhaust. After driving a couple days with it a bit quieter I actually prefer it now. It has all the benefits of a free flowing exhaust without the ear ache. You can definately feel the added power and smoothness in the engine now that you don't hear it as much. The placebo effect on the butt dyno usually tricks you when things get louder into imagining more power that really isn't there(intake/exhaust) .

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice setup, I bet it sounds great with the extra resonator. Talk about it being loud when you start it up. I'm pretty sure the people on the next block could hear my turbo spinning at idle when I started my E in the mornings.
I can't even hear the exhaust on my Wrx when I rev it up, and it has the SPT catback on it. I must admit I miss the raunchy nasty sound of my E, except for when I drive by a cop.

·
Registered
575 Posts

My wife doesn't understand either:) It's my car though so I do what I want. It is a little louder for about a minute on a cold start. I like it though. Glad you got the perfect set up for you. Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Help

I feel so silly for not having figured this out yet but I can not figure out how to start a new thread. I just fabricated and installed an air intake on my '07 SC. I saved 64% of the retail price (approx. $250). I'd like to let everyone know how I did it, just in case someone else would like to attempt. PLEASE HELP ME :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Digging up an old tread here I know but wondered if you had any pics with the resinator installed? Love the sound of the Injen still, but in the future it may become my wife's daily driver. I know I will have to make it quieter for that to happen.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts