Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided this weekend to remove the control arm and take it to a machine shop to have them press out the old bushing and put in new ones. Unfortunately like an idiot I pulled out my inner CV joint. What do I do? I know I have take of the spindle nut and remove the hub so that the drive shaft is straight but is it just a matter of pushing it back in or do I have to remove the boot and put somethig back togther then:mrgreen: put the boot back on? It is the right side drive axle. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I always say tie off the strut mount to keep it from falling out and it happened to me also. You can get the inner trunion to go back together but it is hard with the boot installed. You have to work the 3 rollers into their groves and make sure that none has fallen off their posts. If you can't get it to go back on you will have to cut the boot strap and its a greasy mess and reinstall the rollers into their slots. The curved side of the roller goes outward. Get the replacement straps and CV grease from the local parts store and strap it tight to keep it from leaking afterwords.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size socket do I need for the spindle nut? I tried a 33 mm my friend had but it too small it look like a 35mm or 36mm?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I got it off it's 36mm. Now if I could just get drive axle off the half shaft. What a pain. I definately have to repack the joint. Dealer quoting me for inner boot with boot clamps, clip and grease for $35.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad for a price. I bought a few boots on Ebay and rebuilt the inner CV joint and set that shaft as a spare as I bought 2 used shafts before and installed the right one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts