Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud new owner of an element. I have noticed that the hard plastic such as on the tailgate seems to scratch easily by my puppies toe nails. Any ideas on treating or protecting this plastic to limit the wear and tear, besides using blankets etc :?:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had this same problem, so I used that Lexol vinyl stuff and it made the scratches more dull. Since it is plastic, there isn't much you can do, other than a blanket. I am just happy it is on the inside and most people don't notice!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm using clear plastic shelf liner. Its cheap and redoable. But check threads under Interior for other tailgate solutions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Someone else recommended using a small amount of laquer thinner on a rag and lightly rubbing a scratch. Then use Lexol to bring back the deeper color and protection. When drying the thinner seemed to leave a milky color. The Lexol took the milky color away, almost entirely.

Today I tried it on a mysterious "gouge" on the bumpy plasic (on the inside of the doors). Much to my amazment, IT WORKED. I was nervous when the thinner kind of dulled the finish, but the Lexol brought it back to life.

I was mainly nervous about the finish being permantly dulled on the plastic, but it worked. I would not want to try it on a large area such as a very scratched inner tailgate. But for one scratch at a time, you might want to try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts