Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the s2000 exhaust header might fit on a k24 with modification? It looks way less restrictive and I like the idea of sticking with Honda parts. See current link below:

If not, what other OEM options might work with better performance in mind? Considering our E is built for low emissions there must be Honda/ Acura alternatives. Please chime in y'all. I am embarking on a head swap and would like to keep my build as OEM and street legal as possible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like it could actually. It would take a little work, but finding an affordable used one may be an option.

Excerpt from SuperStreetOnline

“I thought that the header would be as simple as welding a new flange to my OEM S2000 header. It's a little more complicated. Although the runners for cylinder one and four are the same; pistons two and three are spread further apart on the K series motor by about a half-inch in each direction. We had to modify the two and three tubes on the OEM header before it would weld in the right place on the K series flange.”

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it could actually. It would take a little work, but finding an affordable used one may be an option.

Excerpt from SuperStreetOnline

“I thought that the header would be as simple as welding a new flange to my OEM S2000 header. It's a little more complicated. Although the runners for cylinder one and four are the same; pistons two and three are spread further apart on the K series motor by about a half-inch in each direction. We had to modify the two and three tubes on the OEM header before it would weld in the right place on the K series flange.”
Appreciate the feedback. Am still mulling what to do with my build plan. Right now on Ebay there is a used RSX Comp Tech shorty header for $200. Have been tempted, because I want to keep my cat and they don't make this header anymore. Also, they are supposed to better quality than the DC headers. However, my research indicates that the shorty gives maybe a few horsepower at best, and I have been comparing pics of the stock header and the Comp Tech header. They look almost exactly the same. Wonder if it is really worth having it fabricated to fit the E?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You certainly could get a stock element header and have a buddy or a shop weld on some better flowing collectors and a high flow cat.
Interesting idea. What do you mean by better collectors? Are you suggesting a weld shop could make bend/manipulate the runners or make them fatter?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok so but of a crash course in the pursuit of knowledge! A vehicle is naturally aspirated (pronounced: it doesn’t make fun turbo noises) the name of the game is to get exhaust out with as little resistance as possible. When companies make headers usually the appeal in increased performance is largely due to the fact that most modern cars have cast headers that cheaper to manufacture, but not necessarily the best performing. So when companies make headers they use tube VS just a cast chamber because it can be manipulated in a few key ways. If you look at your aftermarket header above you will see that all the tubes converge together at one point. This is a 4-1 setup header. The stock Honda Element header, while not a cast header, is still a 4-2-1. Not the worst thing, but could be made simpler. You have 2 options with it. Option 1 is Have an exhaust shop take the end of the header and weld a collector for the 2 lower tubes to converge. Cheaper. Option 2 is have them take the pipes off at the flange weld you up a 4-1 header (much like your aftermarket one). More expensive, but theoretically more HP. Be warned tho. There are lots and lots of numbers and math that go into scavenging and such. Doing something custom may not do much at all if the characteristics for scavenging, flow, etc. aren’t there. End of day, if that RSX header is still available then jump on it! The DC shorty is usually the one guys go with for exhaust stuff on here because ease of use, so the one you found certainly isn’t the worst option. Probably about the same price as something custom too.
What a post! Sorry about that. ?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so but of a crash course in the pursuit of knowledge! A vehicle is naturally aspirated (pronounced: it doesn’t make fun turbo noises) the name of the game is to get exhaust out with as little resistance as possible. When companies make headers usually the appeal in increased performance is largely due to the fact that most modern cars have cast headers that cheaper to manufacture, but not necessarily the best performing. So when companies make headers they use tube VS just a cast chamber because it can be manipulated in a few key ways. If you look at your aftermarket header above you will see that all the tubes converge together at one point. This is a 4-1 setup header. The stock Honda Element header, while not a cast header, is still a 4-2-1. Not the worst thing, but could be made simpler. You have 2 options with it. Option 1 is Have an exhaust shop take the end of the header and weld a collector for the 2 lower tubes to converge. Cheaper. Option 2 is have them take the pipes off at the flange weld you up a 4-1 header (much like your aftermarket one). More expensive, but theoretically more HP. Be warned tho. There are lots and lots of numbers and math that go into scavenging and such. Doing something custom may not do much at all if the characteristics for scavenging, flow, etc. aren’t there. End of day, if that RSX header is still available then jump on it! The DC shorty is usually the one guys go with for exhaust stuff on here because ease of use, so the one you found certainly isn’t the worst option. Probably about the same price as something custom too.
What a post! Sorry about that. ?
No worries, thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to explain the science! Unfortunately, someone beat me too buying the Comptech shorty header but there is a type s DC header available on Ebay for about a $100. I would have to clean off some surface rust but no big deal. Two things that are giving me pause, is I have read that the RSX type s header fits our Element better. But what is the difference between the type S header and a RSX base header? The other concern is that if a welder has to manipulate the flange on the DC header, will it even fit right? I don't want a leaky header.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only thing I would think for the rsx type s header would be shape. Either the exhaust ports are slightly a different shape between the non type s and type s head (I believe most different iterations of kseries are this way) or the header itself is tuned in a way that also happens to make it fit the element better. Again lots of math with that. So the base rsx has the k20a3, same as the civic si. While it certainly is a marvel for what it is, it is still an absolute dog. It’s the k20 version of our k24 with VTEC that’s not actually VTEC. Because the type s has the k20a (like the type r) with real VTEC, it may have a header made to flow more, which would be why it’s better for anything with our cars as our engines are slightly bigger. Or a third thing could just be flange headed into the exhaust is better positioned or easier to manipulate. Honestly just speculation as I’ve never held one in my hands, and I’m sure finding specs that specific could easily take some time. I’ll update if I find any info. You ask good questions! ?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The only thing I would think for the rsx type s header would be shape. Either the exhaust ports are slightly a different shape between the non type s and type s head (I believe most different iterations of kseries are this way) or the header itself is tuned in a way that also happens to make it fit the element better. Again lots of math with that. So the base rsx has the k20a3, same as the civic si. While it certainly is a marvel for what it is, it is still an absolute dog. It’s the k20 version of our k24 with VTEC that’s not actually VTEC. Because the type s has the k20a (like the type r) with real VTEC, it may have a header made to flow more, which would be why it’s better for anything with our cars as our engines are slightly bigger. Or a third thing could just be flange headed into the exhaust is better positioned or easier to manipulate. Honestly just speculation as I’ve never held one in my hands, and I’m sure finding specs that specific could easily take some time. I’ll update if I find any info. You ask good questions! ?
You are right on point sir. I went to a racing shop here in Houston over the weekend to discuss a build plan. The shop manner suggested that the exhaust system for the type S differs from the base therefor the flange could be different. Shop owner looked at the DC header of choice many on our forum have had adapted for our E's and commented on how the runners are so thin. Then he suggested, why don't I just make you a custom header for $750? Then a straight pipe and high flow cat, gaskets, extra. Final price for everything was $1250, then he suggested I finish with the Injen cat back exhaust. So it would be $2000 all said and done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You would see some gains. Look at it this way. If you go with an exhaust like that now you should atleast see some improvement when you tune the engine, plus if you decide to go to a k24a2 in the future you could actually make some pretty decent power. The injen is the right choice, lemme tell ya!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, I think I am going to do it. RCA garage has such a good deal right on the Injen cat back right now. Am a little concerned my fiancee will not appreciate the extra noise but I suppose I could add a resonator later if need be. I also like the idea of being able to upgrade the E in stages. No matter what I do with the engine I suppose I could use a cat back exhaust to compliment the flow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is totally not loud unless you really mash it around 3 grand. Also because you have tuning you could totally do a crackle tune! Should sound fun.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Question, friends. I have been looking for an aftermarket header to fabricate for my Element and have noticed that some headers have a half crescent coming out of the flange. Does anyone know what the stock Honda Element flange looks like. Is this necessary? Attached pics are of a DC RSX header and then the last one is a stock Element header. Nothing appears to be sticking out of the flange on the pic of the Element header. I know one of you guys knows the answer to this, please advise!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question, friends. I have been looking for an aftermarket header to fabricate for my Element and have noticed that some headers have a half crescent coming out of the flange. Does anyone know what the stock Honda Element flange looks like. Is this necessary? Attached pics are of a DC RSX header and then the last one is a stock Element header. Nothing appears to be sticking out of the flange on the pic of the Element header. I know one of you guys knows the answer to this, please advise!
Guys I would really appreciate some feedback on this flange question so I can purchase an aftermarket header with confidence.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys I would really appreciate some feedback on this flange question so I can purchase an aftermarket header with confidence.
Ok gang,

Wanted to provide a quick update on my new exhaust plans. I changed my mind on modifying a race header and instead decided to go with the Megan racing shorty header and down pipe that is made for the type S. All parts are on the way! Fabrication will be necessary and I plan on having the work done next week. I also did a lot of research on high flow catalytic converters and went with a magnaflow 200 cell count 59956 with the metal substrate as opposed to ceramic. The reason for the small HFC addition will be to reduce potential smelly exhaust fumes. I believe all this will pair nicely with my Injen cat back set up. Below are some pics of the items I have bought in addition to a pic of our OEM Element header.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Two Cents, get a tube of that copper exhaust stuff and put a thin coat on the donut gasket for that header. It shouldn’t be a problem, but it would be a pain to fix if it were and you will wish you had.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ok guys, just had the Megan Racing RSX Type S shorty header and downpipe fabricated to fit my Element along with a Magnaflow high flow cat 59956 and 2.5 Vibrant ultra quiet resonator (Vibrant added to my Injen catback exhaust). My fabricator guy fashioned a bracket to hold the shorty header and was able to use some of the OEM spring bolts which I appreciated. He also fabricated a custom defouler also. Everything fits nicely. No unwelcome rattles/ vibrations, smelly exhaust fumes, or check engine light.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts