Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, being a car guy doesn't stop me from modifying a car that I bought my 16 year old. Added some goodies over the weekend. Bought the headunit from Crutchfield, camera from Walmart, and speakers/sub replacements from Amazon.

Sounds SO much better with new speakers since the old ones seemed like they were falling apart. The backup camera and carplay will hopefully help with attention to the road and backing up.

Thanks to this forum for the ideas on how to run the wiring for the backup camera.
Car Vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Steering wheel
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Audio equipment
Tire Automotive tire Light Hood Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Steering part Vehicle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which Sony head unit is that? I've been looking at them but can't decide which one to get. Also where did you mount the backup camera? It looks good on the display.
I went with the Sony XAV-AX3200. To me, it gave the main features that I was looking for (rear camera input, CarPlay) at an unbeatable price.

The camera was the Metra WM-BPLTC and it's simply just mounted to the rear license place frame. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metra-Behind-Lic-Plate-Camera/385129548

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't see it in the pictures, does your Element have the steering wheel controls and were you able to connect them properly? I installed an older Sony CarPlay unit (XAV - 1000 I think?) but haven't been able to make the controls work otherwise real happy. Enjoy the "less-distraction" driving, I know I have

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't see it in the pictures, does your Element have the steering wheel controls and were you able to connect them properly? I installed an older Sony CarPlay unit (XAV - 1000 I think?) but haven't been able to make the controls work otherwise real happy. Enjoy the "less-distraction" driving, I know I have
No steering wheel controls. I believe there was a separate harness for that. I don't recall fully.

·
Registered
2007 SC
19 Posts
I finally got the steering wheel controls to work on my SC using the iDatalink Maestro SW. It's dead simple once you know what to do, but finding the instructions was hard.

·
Registered
2007 SC
19 Posts
When you flash the unit with your home computer, the instructions come up on your screen once it’s finished.

Attaching an image showing which wires go where. Hope this helps. You only have to splice into 2 wires.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Head unit looks good! I've been torn about doing something similar, but as long as the CD player works, I'm going to enjoy the simplicity. Definitely a good idea having the backup camera for a new driver though. Nice work!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Head unit looks good! I've been torn about doing something similar, but as long as the CD player works, I'm going to enjoy the simplicity. Definitely a good idea having the backup camera for a new driver though. Nice work!
A backup camera for new drivers is a must IMO. It's going to be rare for them to encounter cars that don't have them in their future so why give them a disadvantage from the beginning - at least that's my thinking.

Reactions: Athertones

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is inspiring. I've had my Element for a few week, but I'm still not used to the low rear visibility. I've never owned a vehicle where I was so uncertain where the rear bumper was when parallel parking. Side and forward visibility is great. Rear, not so much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts