Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few pointers for the rest of you that might want to do these yourself:

Side Steps:
1. Fairly smooth installation. The hard part is actually holding the steps in place while you are trying to bolt them on. I did a few leg-balancing tricks on the first step, and it took me ~30 min to finally get it on & tighten the bolts. The second step was much easier. I placed myself on my back under the E and balanced the step on my chest while I bolted the thing on. This was _much_ easier than the first balancing act I went through.

2. I haven't seen it metioned, but I'm pretty sure that the steps are made of aluminum with plastic end caps. This makes the torque values very important when you are bolting the thing on (but the bolts and built-in nuts are steel, thank-God). Unofrtunately, without a lift you will be SOL when trying to use a torque wrench because of clearance issues. Just remember that you need to get the bolts snug w/o over-tightening them to prevent "bad things" with the unit body and the aluminum steps. Don't overdo it.

3. The steps stick out about three-four inches from the bottom of the E, but they come nearly flush to the furthest protrusions of the door, so don't expect them to handle any door-dings in the parking lot.

Mud Flaps:

1. Very easy install, just drill out the two dimples in the rear panel first & you won't have any problem with the "self-tapping" screws and tire clearance.

2. The rear ones really seem to keep the mud off, but the front ones don't (because you need to turn the front wheels from time to time). So don't expect the flaps to save the sides of your E from mud puddles.

Other things installed that I had absolutely NO problems with:
Bug shield
Rear bumper trim
Chrome exhaust thingy
New speakers
Convex mirror stickers
Remote entry

If you are the least bit capable of following directions and turning a screw driver, you won't have any problems with these, either.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Red Armageddon,

Great, thanks for the info.

I put on the seat covers myself :D

I did not even have to know how to use a screwdriver for them. :wink:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Lower and outermost corners of the mirror worked for me.

Iskie

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just bought my mirror fisheyes this weekend, but haven't put them on yet. Now I know where to put them! :wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was wondering if you installed new tweeters up front? I want to put some there soon and am wondering how easy/hard they are to get to?

Dano

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No new tweeters. I put in the same thing as outlined on Element J's website, and it sounds great. No plans to rip into it further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a few pointers for the rest of you that might want to do these yourself:

Side Steps:
1. Fairly smooth installation. The hard part is actually holding the steps in place while you are trying to bolt them on. I did a few leg-balancing tricks on the first step, and it took me ~30 min to finally get it on & tighten the bolts. The second step was much easier. I placed myself on my back under the E and balanced the step on my chest while I bolted the thing on. This was much easier than the first balancing act I went through.

2. I haven't seen it metioned, but I'm pretty sure that the steps are made of aluminum with plastic end caps. This makes the torque values very important when you are bolting the thing on (but the bolts and built-in nuts are steel, thank-God). Unofrtunately, without a lift you will be SOL when trying to use a torque wrench because of clearance issues. Just remember that you need to get the bolts snug w/o over-tightening them to prevent "bad things" with the unit body and the aluminum steps. Don't overdo it.

3. The steps stick out about three-four inches from the bottom of the E, but they come nearly flush to the furthest protrusions of the door, so don't expect them to handle any door-dings in the parking lot.

Mud Flaps:

1. Very easy install, just drill out the two dimples in the rear panel first & you won't have any problem with the "self-tapping" screws and tire clearance.

2. The rear ones really seem to keep the mud off, but the front ones don't (because you need to turn the front wheels from time to time). So don't expect the flaps to save the sides of your E from mud puddles.

Other things installed that I had absolutely NO problems with:
Bug shield
Rear bumper trim
Chrome exhaust thingy
New speakers
Convex mirror stickers
Remote entry

If you are the least bit capable of following directions and turning a screw driver, you won't have any problems with these, either.
I was wondering if the side step from my 04 will fit on the 08? Is the 08 already equipped to 'receive' them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts