Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I only have the subwoofer, and I'm going to hold off on buying the amp until I'm finished with the box.
I want to build a custom fiberglass box behind the left wheel well. Has anyone cut out the holders there? It looks like quite a project taking all the plastics off step by step. Any help with that would be appreciated.
Does anyone have an amp that will produce 250-400 Watts RMS at 4 ohm's lying around? Looking for something under $50, cause I can buy new brand name for like $70.
Has anyone done a Response test with the stock Woofer? Because I want to just pull the input off that. From my ears it sound like it's a conventional 25-200hz response, but I'm not really sure on that.
Has any one had experience with using a high-input off the sub to an amp? Thanks,
-TD

EDIT: Btw I've been doing some research on this now for a while, and running through some numbers, Etc, and I'm constructing what I believe will be the worlds first High Output Vehicle Specific Subwoofer Enclosure. Which sucks, because I won't be able to make duplicates and sell them, as the High Output Enclosure (H.O.) technology is copyrighted by JL Audio. The only problem I'm facing is the tubular port construction, which will be have to match the slot port design from the recommended enclosure specs by JL audio for the subwoofer. I have to draw it from inside the enclosure and fire it directly in front of the subwoofer. And I have to make the interior of the Fiberglass box exactly 1 cubic foot, which I already have a method to achieve the exact size.
-TD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Small update, I have found a free amp! It's a Kenwood KAC-8104D Monoblock Digital. 1000 watts max, 300 watts RMS at 4ohm. So a pretty decent amplifier for the subwoofer. I'm going to have computer fans mounted under it on the amp rack, to keep it nice and cool. It recommends 4 gauge, but I'm not sure I'm going to do that or just use 8 gauge.

I need help removing the plastic interior panels in the rear though! All around the wheel well and behind it on a 2003.
Thanks,
-TD

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, so after a LOT of talk to JL reps, my local premium audio installation shop, and more math then you can imagine (it's a lot more complicated than your average slot port) I am almost ready to build my High Output box for my now two 10W1v2-4's. The coupling chamber is an insane amount of work to correctly tune in correspondence with the port tuning. The part that sucks is there is some guess and check work that you really can't get around :x

So this raises a question, anybody want to buy one :lol: ?
It realistically will pound with any two 10" circle woofers that operate well at 1 cubic foot in a ported box. I have it tuned to 30Hz, even though JL recommends 31Hz for these subs. Also, it can work in any car, it'll just fit nice and snug and pretty low profile in an E.
I have a buddy at the local sound shop that sold his for a single 8W7 for $450. So I'd ask $350, buyer pays shipping. You can also hear mine once it's done and then decide.
No pictures yet, all I have is a bunch of papers with too many equations and measurements on them. lol.

Anyone have a JL H.O. in their E or anyone have any experience with them? Better yet, anyone build one ever?
-TD

·
Registered
877 Posts
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I don't really see what is special about a "J.L. High Output" box? They just look like a well designed ported box, and the ones made by JL being CNC cut as well.

Whats the deal on them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The High Output boxes have a coupling chamber, which combines the sound from the port and the cone together. The coupling chamber is in front of the subwoofer and below the port, and has a cutout (an oval normally). Everything is measured and specifically the size and shape it is for a reason. Angles too, everything is related to sound output.

It's louder basically. A ported vs sealed box is usually about 3-4dB louder, (a little more than double) and this box will add another 4-5dB, per subwoofer.
So compared to a sealed box for these subs, it will be about 14-18dB louder.
-TD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts