Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First...I'm getting my new 2010 Element SC tomorrow!!!! :) Yay!!!

Second, so I've read through countless forums for hours and the more I read, the more I get confused!?!? :? So, I apologize if I sound like an idiot, but here goes.

What I Want To Do:
I want to take the stock HU out and put in a Pioneer AVIC -Z110BT in my 2010 Element SC. I want to KEEP my existing speakers and sub (yeah, yeah, I'll upgrade next summer)!!! Also, I'd like to retain my steering wheel controls and AUX input, but don't know what to do about it. I'll be connecting my iPhone 3GS to the unit as well w/ the iPod cable. I'd like to mount the Bluetooth mic somewhere too (but haven't a clue how to run the wire). I know I've got a large request summed up here, but I don't want to tear everything apart more than once.

NOW...I'm reading about these harnesses, like the Metra 70-1726 and others...what do I need that will allow me to keep use of the stock sub and speakers? Do I need to bypass the stock amp, if so does it help or hurt sound quality? I want to make this as easy as possible for me and don't want to go splicing a zillion wires if I can just get the right harness upfront. Also, I hear I need an adapter for the antenna. Does all this apply to the 2010 SC's???

And, when I mount the HU, I've read about using some trim or molding (whatever you call it) from a Honda Pilot around the HU to get rid of a gap that I guess looks bad. Does that apply to me too? Will mine look like a crappy install without this?

Is this some of what I need to do?:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52097

I so confused... :?

Oh, and "Hi"! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was as well
i own an 08 sc

I had a shop install my Clarion HU DD, ipod, blue tooth and drop down - only because I didnt have the time and the patience or a garage to do it in .
I had read the numerous post and ask them to install as read in the forum.
After it was done it didnt really sound that good.
On my second visit to the audio shop they asked me if i would allow them to do what ever they wanted to fix the problem and only use what is existing - I said go for it. I am glad they took the time to do it and they didnt charge me for my error (professionalism).

This is what they did
HU amp to four speakers including the tweeters (by passing the factory amp).
HU sub out (rca) to factory amp on sub woofer bypassed as described in this forum by splicing the rca into the factory harness (one side only as it is in mono as described in the forum)

They ran the blue tooth to the mesh cubby hole up near the mirror ( on 08 sc) and mounted it under.
They ran the ipod to the glove box ( close and easy)
Clarion 10" flip down - removed the rear dome light and mounted it there ran the video out to the HU in the head liner to the weather stripping/headliner to the HU ( video from HU to flipdown only not the other way )
They then mounted the polka audio slims into the doors and tweeters into the pillars.
The sound is now amazing and punchy for the set up, clear as can be and im very happy with it. good set up for least amount of money.

·
Registered
320 Posts
does the flipdown screen seem far away from the back seats? I'm about to put a 9" flipdown in the rear and i was gonna mount it in the same spot. but i don't know it seems it would be far away from the rear passengers, so i was going to try to make it closer. Do you like where the screen is mounted?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What to do, what to do...

I had a shop install my Clarion HU DD, ipod, blue tooth and drop down - only because I didnt have the time and the patience or a garage to do it in.

Yeah, so me too...I don't think I want to screw things up. I'm gonna buy all the parts and just hand them over to the shop to install. Here's the thing...so I get my Element SC and just am NOT impressed with the stock sound system. My 2001 BMW 330i Harmon Kardon system sounded much better than the Element! SO...say I have the shop put the AVIC-Z110BT in the dash...and I have them bypass the stock amp for both the speakers and sub like was suggested...will it sound THAT much better??? No, I'm not wanting to make my Element thump like Puff Daddy's SUV, but I want it to not sound so muffled (stock system has poor highs and poor lows). Will bypassing the stock amps and powering with the new HU address this issue??? If so, maybe I should keep the speakers and just replace the stock sub??? The stock sub seems useless to me....uggghh!!!! I don't want to spend too much money pimping out my ride, but I want a decent setup...HELP!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just great...

Oh, so I just stopped by the local installer and they cannot find a dash kit for the 2010 model...they say both Scosche and Metra do not make one yet for the 2010 SC. The install will run me $175 alone, and they offered to make a custom one for a total of $300 (includes install). Crap. Anyone know if a kit from some other car or similar Element will work???

·
Registered
71 Posts
in my opinion i would replace the speakers in the door and tweeters in the pillars keep the base for me it sounds 100% better then stock it has enough base to satisfy me and I dont like the huge thumping noise those huge pimp daddy cars make i like a good punch and thats what i get good clear highs and mid range with a little thump to boot....but listening experience is different from ear to ear .

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Oh, so I just stopped by the local installer and they cannot find a dash kit for the 2010 model...they say both Scosche and Metra do not make one yet for the 2010 SC. The install will run me $175 alone, and they offered to make a custom one for a total of $300 (includes install). Crap. Anyone know if a kit from some other car or similar Element will work???
the 2010 is no different than the 07-up 1702b scosche kit. just order that the 70-1725 metra harness the hd10 antenna adaptor and do it yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 2010 is no different than the 07-up 1702b scosche kit. just order that the 70-1725 metra harness the hd10 antenna adaptor and do it yourself.
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I ordered the Scosche kit off Amazon just now! You saved me about $125+9.25% TN sales tax :grin: ! I'm still toying around with the idea of tearing out my dash and doing the install myself....I just don't know. I've done it before in high school when I had a 95' Grand Am...just don't wanna screw anything up in my new baby.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally, to me the cheapest, easiest upgrade is new speakers. Get some decent Polks, Infinity's, ANYTHING- it will improve your sound for the least effort. Although I must compliment Honda as the OEM speaker magnets are as large (or larger) as most replacement speakers, but they're still paper cones. Keep us posted on your progress, my upgrade is going to be very similar to yours. I have a post here titled AVIC U-920BT, it's going in with the Pioneer XM module in a 2010 EX- 2 months new. And scour this forum and AVIC411.com, loads of info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've since got everything installed...only thing I don't like is perhaps my speaker choice. I bought some Infinity 629I two-way speakers to replace all four stock ones and just my passenger front one keeps screwing up. I don't think it gets blown, just the tweeter gets 'scratchy' at middle to high volume levels. I'm on my 3rd one actually. I'm not sure if it's related to my head unit (hope to God not) or if I just need to go with components. This issue exists only at very high volume levels on ALL speakers, but it seems as if the tweeter on those never 'screw up' enough that I have to replace them...it's just the passenger front that is noticeably annoying that I end up having to replace it. Any thoughts...???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Concerning your tweeter issue, are you using the OEM amp for power or did you bypass it? One thing I did note when installing new speakers was there were 2 wires at the passenger/front positive speaker connection, but I don't remember seeing 2 at the driver/front!? I figured it was continuing on to the tweeter, but why wouldn't it be the same on the driver's side? I doubt that many speakers are defective. You know the driver's side already works, try switching the left and right speakers and see if the problem persists.

I'm having other issues as well that may also pertain to you. I haven't started the install yet, just new speakers so far. The sub has never worked and I didn't want to start till Honda fixes it, I figured they would claim I screwed it up in my install. After installing my new speakers, I faded to the rear speakers to confirm the sub was still not working and there was no high frequency coming out- like the tweeters don't work (they're 2-way Sony's). Ironically the 2-ways in the front doors sound fine. If there was a high frequency filter I expected them in the front doors where the tweeters derive their signal. I was wavering whether to use the OEM amp or by-pass for my front/rear speakers, but this pretty much confirmed I won't use the amp, maybe except for the sub.

Not to detract but... my girlfriend sat at the dealer yesterday for over 2 hours (with an appointment). Initially the mechanic debated with her whether her car even has a sub (it's an EX). When she finally said she had to leave, he said he'll just order a new amp and sub- he never even looked at it or turned the radio on! I finally got all the harnesses and accessories in and I'm ready to start, but wanted this resolved first. Over the years this dealer and their service has been stellar (we've purchased 3 cars from them), but this last buying experience has been terrible, and now this- not good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts