Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why install Momo?

The standard shifter and shift boot look and feel cheap. The Momo look good, and the shifter knob has a better grip and feel. The stainless steel of the shifter knob matches nicely to my silver "E" as well. With the grey leather shift boot, it's awesome.

Same goes for the pedals. They are too small, and they just look and feel cheap. The Momo pedals have more surface area to get feedback from, and they look great. The brushed steel goes with my silver "E", of course.

How to install Momo:

Pedals:

The pedals are the easiest of the two upgrades to install. The steps are as follows:

1. Pull off the rubber pedal covers on the clutch and brake pedals. The gas pedal is an all plastic affair, so there is no cover to remove. Under the rubber covers you will find steel plates.
2. Centre the Momo pedals on each plate horizontally and vertically.
3. Clamp the pedal onto the steel mount with a small C-clamp.
4. Drill through the plate. I used a 9/64ths drill bit. This was a bit smaller than the diameter of the bolt, so the bolt fits very tightly through the hole.
5. Bolt the Momo pedal to the plate and done.

The gas pedal is tricky because the bottom bolt will go through the plastic. The top hole has to go through the metal arm. I did get the drill through, but I was not able to use the long bolt to go all of the way through the hole. As I used a smaller drill size, however, I was able to bolt the pedal securely without getting all of the way through.

Momo includes much more detailed instructions in their package. I have scanned this for anyone who wants to see it.

Shift Boot and Shifter:

This is by far the far more tricky operation. You'll be opening up the shifter assembly by removing the shifter lever cover, and you'll have to make some careful cuts in the new shifter boot as well.

Here goes:

1. Remove the shifter knob.
2. Pull the shift lever cover up from the shifter assembly. The next picture explains this better than I can.

3. If you have the optional security system with the microphone installed, you need to be careful doing this. Turn over the shift lever cover.
4. You will see a ring that holds the shift boot to the shift lever cover.
5. Undo the three screws that hold the ring to the cover. Note that the ring has three tabs in which the screws go to hold the boot on. The Momo boot is not designed specifically to work in this sort of arrangement, so we will have to cut holes in the boot to let the tabs through.
6. Mark the top of the ring so that you can recognize it. The ring only fits one way, despite how it looks.
7. The rubber shift boot remmneeds to be gently pulled from the ring. It can be kept if you like, but the modifications to the Momo boot are permanent.
8. Now that the shifter rod is bare and exposed, you need to place a rubber mount on the top it for the Momo knob to fit over. Make sure you push it all the way down to get the best, lowest position on the shift knob.

This picture shows this in more detail:

The rubber mount is part "C" in the picture.

9. Take the shifter knob off.
10. Screw the shift boot to the knob and note which way is up on the boot. On mine, up was on a seam. The Momo logo was imprinted on the front so I have it facing out.
11. Take the knob off.
12. Insert the ring up the boot to see how it fits. I found I could push the ring 3.5 inches up before it wouldn't go up any more.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
13. Mark the point at which you would like to cut to allow the tabs to go through. On my boot, the tabs corresponded to the three seams in the boot. Remember that the ring only fits one way - make sure that when you do this, you are sure that which part of the boot is up (furthest away from you) and which part is down.
14. Lay the boot on a solid surface that you can cut on. Use a sharp knife to cut through the boot at the point where the tab will come through. It's best to check this over several times before cutting.
15. Test putting the tab through. You will probably need to cut a bit of a trapezoidal hole.
16. Place some electrical tape or other firm, sticky tape around the incision. I did this to stop the threads in the seam from unravelling any more than they did already. it will also strengthen the incision against any ripping.
17. Make the holes for each of the tabs.
18. Go back to the "E".
19. Slide the ring over the shifter rod.
20. Slide the boot over the shifter rod.
21. Slide the shifter lever cover over the rod so it is over the boot.
22. Place the shifter knob on the rod and position it properly.
23. Use the small screws to firmly grip the knob on the rod. These are shown as going into "B" in the picture.
24. Once the knob is firmly in place, bring the boot up from underneath and screw it onto the bottom of the knob. Make very sure that the top of the boot is at the top so that the ring will fit into it without twisting the boot.
25. Bring the ring up and into the boot.
26. Bring the tabs through the boot.
27. Screw through the tabs to attach the boot to the ring and the ring to the cover.
28. Pull the excess material in the boot through under the now mounted boot.
29. Gently push the cover back into place.
30. Done!

Note that the Momo shift boot that I bought was a special type that screws into the Momo shifter knob. Some shift boots don't - they simply tie off. The screw-on type looks much better. If you don't use the same type as I did, adjust the instructions accordingly.

If these instructions need clarification, let me know. I will edit or post a reply accordingly.

How much to get Momo?

The pedals were $99 CAD with taxes included. The shifter knob was $100, taxes included. And the shift boot was $69, taxes included.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If these instructions don't make sense, let me know. I will edit or reply as appropriate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't see any pictures, or any scanned instructions. Would you mind sending them to me? Momo makes great stuff, I had one of their shift knobs in my WRX.

I want to replace the knob boot and pedals, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do a clean enough job....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Notice the original post was from 06-17-2003. Dunno if this member is still around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts