Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 element with no license plate bracket. I see some for sale but just want to know whats involved in mounting it. I didn't see any screw holes to mount one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
You will need to drill your own holes. The plastic that it attaches to is not very hard,so you could probably just pierce the plastic by using the brackets mounting screws.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drill

So you just drill in to the plastic bumper then. Is there a template or a particular place where you drill?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I'd suggest that you hook the top of bracket in place. Then use the bracket itself as the template. If the screws are sharp enough you probably don't need to drill any holes. If you can't make them penetrate the plastic bumper skin, drill small pilot holes. You don't want to drill anything too big.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got a slightly used 2008 with no front plate base, but the holes are there so the previous owner must've taken it with them. Given that the holes are already there, I'm assuming I'll probably need to tap in a couple of anchors to make sure the holes aren't too stripped? Also, it doesn't come with the screws, does anyone know if it mentions the size needed so I can swing by Home Despot?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
It's been a long time since I took my bracket off (and put it back on). But I think those screws are self tapping sheet metal screws. Are the holes in the plastic slightly ragged?

The upper 'hook' is the main thing that keeps this bracket in place. The screws just hold the lower edge to the bumper face. The bumper face is relatively thin and flexible plastic.

The first step in this bumper trim installation instructions shows you how the bracket is mounted (with 2 self tapping screws)
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/03element/frontbumpertrim.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts