Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. New to the forum and recently a first time Element owner. Woooo! I've wanted an Element forever and finally one happened to fall into my lap. 2003 EX - nothing beats the original.

But it's developed the dreaded instrument cluster issue (green key flashing, clicking relay, won't start, whomping the dash really hard sometimes fixes it, etc.). OK, so I've read where you can shim the large green connector as a "fix". That's great, but I'd really rather try to solder the joints on the connector for a permanent fix. I've got the cluster out and have disassembled it to the point it's just the white plastic back and the exposed gauges. I've removed the two screws you can see which hold the circuit board to the white plastic back, but that's not enough to free the circuit board. I don't see any more screws or clips. So close, soooo frustrating. Help?

Sorry if that info is already in the forums somewhere. Did a search, but didn't see it.

*I should maybe clarify. What I really need to do is not so much remove the circuit board from the white plastic back, as get the gauges themselves away from the circuit board. They're what's covering up the pins I need to solder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't get circuit board out of instrument cluster...

I see you've had no reply... Im in the same situation. My speedometer and tachometer needles do not light up. I have all the bulbs out of the back of the unit, and the gas gauge and temp gauge light up fine. This leads me to believe that there are LEDs mounted on the circuit board. For the life of me I cant get the overlay off to gain access to the circuit board. I have tried prying off the needles with a spoon, and they ARE NOT BUDGING. I have to be missing something- Im a fairly accomplished mechanic. Hell I even worked for Honda until 1994 and I still cant figure this out.:evil:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all. New to the forum and recently a first time Element owner. Woooo! I've wanted an Element forever and finally one happened to fall into my lap. 2003 EX - nothing beats the original.

But it's developed the dreaded instrument cluster issue (green key flashing, clicking relay, won't start, whomping the dash really hard sometimes fixes it, etc.). OK, so I've read where you can shim the large green connector as a "fix". That's great, but I'd really rather try to solder the joints on the connector for a permanent fix. I've got the cluster out and have disassembled it to the point it's just the white plastic back and the exposed gauges. I've removed the two screws you can see which hold the circuit board to the white plastic back, but that's not enough to free the circuit board. I don't see any more screws or clips. So close, soooo frustrating. Help?

Sorry if that info is already in the forums somewhere. Did a search, but didn't see it.

*I should maybe clarify. What I really need to do is not so much remove the circuit board from the white plastic back, as get the gauges themselves away from the circuit board. They're what's covering up the pins I need to solder.

You have a picture showing how much you've disassembled? There's like 10 screws holding that thing down (I don't know if 10 is the right number, but it's definitely more than two.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see you've had no reply... Im in the same situation. My speedometer and tachometer needles do not light up. I have all the bulbs out of the back of the unit, and the gas gauge and temp gauge light up fine. This leads me to believe that there are LEDs mounted on the circuit board. For the life of me I cant get the overlay off to gain access to the circuit board. I have tried prying off the needles with a spoon, and they ARE NOT BUDGING. I have to be missing something- Im a fairly accomplished mechanic. Hell I even worked for Honda until 1994 and I still cant figure this out.:evil:

Try again, I didn't use a spoon, I used needle nose pliers and a flat head. Basically you want to lift them straight up and not in any kind of angle. Took a good amount of force. I thought I was going to break my gauges but sure enough the needle popped off.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Dont turn the needle past 0. You can strip the gearing. It can be tempting when you put the needle back on to adjust it without popping it off again.

Also, I'd wished I took a picture of where "0" was when I went to put it back together. I did manage to add 3mpg to get more accurate readings at 50-70 with the upsized tires. Took a lot more trial and error than it would have if I'd photographed the needle placement before disassembly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dont turn the needle past 0. You can strip the gearing. It can be tempting when you put the needle back on to adjust it without popping it off again.

Also, I'd wished I took a picture of where "0" was when I went to put it back together. I did manage to add 3mpg to get more accurate readings at 50-70 with the upsized tires. Took a lot more trial and error than it would have if I'd photographed the needle placement before disassembly.

Haha oh yeah you reminded my I went through this trial and error quite a bit.
But I found that you can look up a cluster on like eBay or something and find where zero / unplugged position would be

·
Registered
2 Posts
Instrument Cluster

So i finally got the needles off to repair the circuit board. It was just a burned out LED, which I replaced. Now after reassembly the needles are way off on the tach and speedo. I even took them off and re-attached after I confirmed rpm and speed. However, the next time I start the car they are well below 0. Is there a re-calibration procedure similar to whats available on the other Honda vehicles?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m experiencing the same problem. I got it started but none of my gauges work, brake light is on. I guess I need to find the connector you are talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You haft to pull the needles then the gauge black face to get to the other screws I used a fork with a piece of cloth under fork pried them off mark position of needles with chalk then put cluster back in car with clear cover off key on make sure they line up with Mark's if they don't pop off line them up should be good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts