Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today i noticed that my gauge cluster maybe broken or something.
i started to notice around the 60mp mark it is darker then the rest of the numbers.
i know its not the bulb due to the reason i changed the bulb yesterday,
it has always been dark but i thought it was the bulb. so i just changed it out, but the problem is still there.

so i am wanting to see what my options are to fix this.
can i add new brighter bulb and "mask" the problem or do i need to get a new gauge cluster?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It looks like something has fallen and blocked the light or the new bulb is not lighting up. It happens. If it is something blocking the light you will have to take the cluster apart and replace the culprit back to where it goes.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
this might sound dumb but did the bulb seat correctly?
only thing I can thing of. Reinstall the bulb see what happens

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well after taking a look at everything with the cluster, the problem is still there.
nothing is blocking the bulb and it is a new bulb.

i do notice there is a little light , it kinda skips the 60mph then starts back up.
i may just buy some brighter bulbs.

i thought i did remember seeing someone once post, something about having the same problem. but i cannot find the post anywhere in the search.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
thanks Eww-an E

funny thing is i was looking at that thread, and overlooked it.

so i guess my option is to buy a new gauge...
i may just live with it. or have to.

if anyone knows of cheaper fixes i am open to anything...
Your welcome.:cool:
Yeah,I noticed a few of your posts in that thread.:D Well since you're open to suggestions,maybe you should pop open the cluster and see if it could be something simple,like a broken solder joint/connection. If that's not something you're interested in,you could probably make some type of jumper connection from one of the working cluster bulbs contacts to power that bulb.:confused: Might not be pretty,but it could work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your welcome.:cool:
Yeah,I noticed a few of your posts in that thread.:D Well since you're open to suggestions,maybe you should pop open the cluster and see if it could be something simple,like a broken solder joint/connection. If that's not something you're interested in,you could probably make some type of jumper connection from one of the working cluster bulbs contacts to power that bulb.:confused: Might not be pretty,but it could work.
Best advice you are going to get. Use a magnifying glass to see if any solder points around the lamp module are cracked.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well if i knew anything about soldering i would try and fix it.
so i may just live with it for now, and see if my car audio guy will look at for me

i did noticed tonight though well stopped at a red light it looks like something is blocking the 60 (it appears like a browish spot) that just blocks the 60 cause below the 60 it lights and even above..

i tried switching the lights... and even switching the socket around.
but its still there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and thanks for all the input, you guys are providing me saves me time and money from calling honda service.

:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i went up to honda today, and while i was getting my service done on the car.
i read over the warranty i have and it covers the instrument cluster.
so now my question is do i need to switch the bulbs back to the OEM version.??
and if i do have to switch, where can i buy more of the bulbs, because i broke three of them after i removed them from the housing.?

i dont know why i didnt think to read over my warranty

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can buy them direct from Honda for around $4-$5 a pop or you can buy them at Radio Shack for around $1-$2 for a pair.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i went to auto zone, and picked up two for like three bucks, so now i have to switch it all back to oem, go up to the dealership, get it fixed.
then put my hyper white bulbs back in...

its going to be a long week.

remind me why i care so much for this car?
:D:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
dark spot at 60

I have that same dealio going on with the 60 light. Replaced bulb, no change, but I haven't tried replacing the little housing, just the bulb. I will try switching it out with a working light and fixture and see if that works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts