Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone:

The lights in the instrument gauges stay on even after I turn off the engine, remove the key, and lock the car.

The dome light fades out (like it is supposed to), and the instrument gauge lights START to fade out, but then, before they go fully black, they jump back to full brightness and stay on. I can come back an hour later and they stay on.

I am pretty certain all the doors are closed properly because if I peer in through the window, I don't see any open door warning on the dash (and also pressing the lock button on the key remote will activate the horn, which normally won't honk if the doors aren't fully closed, as far as I know).

Any guesses what is up?

Also, we do have the check engine light come on but I am not sure how long. It is my wife's car so I don't know how long she has been driving around with the CEL on for. We are both so busy that I don't know when I can get it checked out.

Thanks in advance.

2007 Element EX, Automatic Transmission
85K miles

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Make time to find out why the check-engine light is on, or stop driving the car until you can. Otherwise you could end up with a very expensive repair. Once you have the code, you'll know how to proceed.

Don't know about the gauge lights staying on, though weird electrical problems are often caused by a bad ground somewhere. How does leaving the lights on affect the behavior?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was because she left the gas cap loose (last time, that is what happened), but it is still on. Will try to look at it tomorrow.

Don't know about the gauge lights staying on, though weird electrical problems are often caused by a bad ground somewhere.
Well, we are in California and we have been having a LOT of rain for the first time in several years (we have been in an extreme drought since around 2012). maybe all that moisture is causing a grounding problem???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts