Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all happened today:
After driving around for hours today, I came out of a store to find my Element was strangely dead and had to be jumped.
Then, while driving down the road, I noticed the malfunction indicator lamp was on...then my radio started turning on and off by itself...then the airbag and seat belt indicators randomly turned on and off....then a grinding from under the passenger seat that sounded like anti-lock brakes....more instrument panel haywire...and then the car stalls.
It stalled four times on the way home...each time requiring a jump to get started again.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
would a bad battery explain the stalling?
It could! But, and this is a big But, it sounds like a bad connection. I would look at the Ground connection first, if the battery connections look good.

Dom

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Bad battery, failing in an open cell (internally disconnected), or more than one cell internally shorted resulting in a sustained voltage below about 8 volts.

Jumping will allow the engine to start and spin-up the alternator enough to sustain operation. However when it idles, without a working battery the voltage goes too low for many if not most of the computer-controlled functions. With voltage "squirrelly" around the shut-off threshold, you're going to see all sorts of strange behaviors.

Replace the battery and all should be OK with the world.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Based on my experience with batteries I have to agree with the others who suggested that you replace the battery. Please let us know if this solves your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved

Just as all of you recommended, I changed the battery and it it working fine. Thank you everyone who provided help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts