Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how are the auto insurance rates for the Element versus your typical sedan? Being somewhat obscure I would think that the model would not be a car thief's top 20 list to steal.

Mrbill5

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Medical claims and property damage are very low for the E.

Comprehensive (all other except collision) is fairly low.

Collision coverage was about 20% higher than the '04 Camry I had prior to my '05 E due to the E being totaled (while protecting its occupants) somewhat more often than other vehicles. My Camry was a symbol 12 and the E was a symbol 16 on the PA scale (higher #'s equal more expense overall on claims)

Check out the IIHS website for their really cool graphic on claims rates for all vehicles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting info at the IIHS site. Looks like most of the 4wd versions of the SUVs (Element, Rav4, etc) have better ratings than the FWD versions. And I am glad I don't have a Hummer H3. Really lousy numbers.

Mrbill5

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I'd take the IIHS summary numbers with a grain of salt. That 15% difference between 4WD and 2WD Elements, with the higher-cost vehicle lower, is hiding something statistically significant in their data collection. My thinking is there may a strong geographic component, so using the table as a barometer for what relative rates to expect locally might be misleading.

The H3 observation is fascinating, because damage to others (collision liability) is a big red flag, versus, say, the GMC Envoy, which beneath the skin is the same vehicle.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
MikeQBF has a point-location and age of the average driver slant results.

The info is useful, as long as you filter it properly.

Case in point- the 1999 to 2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab trucks have horrible frontal offset barrier crash test results- however-looking at IIHS claims data- the Silverado has very low injury claims. This means- the Silverado most often is in a crash with a smaller, lighter vehicle- not a fixed barrier- and the smaller vehicle gets the worst of it.

Check the results for a number of the IIHS small cars that are top safety picks, and you'll see higher than average injury claims- esp. if they car is a model favored by those in the 18 to 25 year old crowd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The insurance premium for my 09 E is cheaper than my wife's 08 Civic. Go figure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts