Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my 1999 Ford Explorer back in May for my Element EXS 4WD Auto and was surprised to find that my insurance (through Progressive) dropped about $11 for the 6 month term of my current policy. I was a bit surprised that a brand new car would have a lower insurance cost than a 4 year old car whose value had depreciated to $9K.

Well, that surprise has now been replaced by shock, because my renewal bill just came in and my insurance rate has been jacked up $175 for the next six month term. Could it be that the insurance companies were waiting for some real life claims data before determining an appropriate rate on a first year model? Anyone else seen similar jacking of their rates?

-A

·
Registered
76 Posts
honestly, i have been very surprised by insurance as well.
i had a 1987 bmw that i was carrying only liability on. when i got my element, the basic price for insurance (going up to full coverage) only went up $60 over 6 months. i did some other shuffling at the time (adding my wife's car to the policy, etc) but i was expecting a bigger jump than that.
if i were you, i'd shop around. if you care, i am with state farm and am very pleased with what i've been charged (as pleased as someone can be having to pay money).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Got rid of a 1993 Honda Civic, added an Element and my insurance only went up $60 for six months. This was a renewal and I just got the bill 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Get this....... I use to own a 94 Hyundai Scoupe and paid 1,100 a year for liability and now i have a brand new E, pay only 900 a year with FULL COVERAGE!!!

My insurance agent said since i had ABS, EBS on my E and my hyundai scoupe was considered a sports car, my insurance was lower :roll:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have Amica Insurance company for coverage. Learned about it on the CLark Howard Show. Great rates and great service that I hope I never need.
:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
We traded a 2001 civic DX for our element and the E is cheaper in insurance than the civic. We currently have Progressive. They're OK.

I got quote from American Family Insurance and it's a couple of dollars cheaper.

John

·
Registered
424 Posts
$387 X 12 = $4,644 A YEAR! WHOA :shock:

I think you should let your daughter ride the bus, roller blade or get a bike and drop her off of your plan :D

In 4 years, you could get another E.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Me too, I was very surprised because I had a 2001 VW Jetta VR6, my insurance was about $1400 on that car and now with the E $1100. I think the insurance company figured that the VR6 was a a sports sedan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just found out the bill:

93 civic that I just sold: $227/6months
2003 Element: $325/6months
(Grange Mutual)

Not bad for a car that cost almost twice what I paid for my civic 10 years ago.

bK

·
Registered
79 Posts
[quote:1e12ed69cb="zozohead"]Mine is only $387 a MONTH!!!

(I don't think it's the "E", I think it's a 19y/o daughter that's totalled 3 vehicles.)[/quote:1e12ed69cb]

OMG, 19 and already has totalled 3 cars. I'm surprised anyone would insure her. Thats a total a year. Get her some Defensive Driving Education or her next total could be her last.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by zozohead
Mine is only $387 a MONTH!!!

(I don't think it's the "E", I think it's a 19y/o daughter that's totalled 3 vehicles.)
Walmart has bikes and helmets on sale this week.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I really can't go with the rates from my old car ('93 Cavalier)....but we priced the insurance for an '03 Civic EX 4DR vs my E....and surprise surprise E was $50 less every 6 months. It ended up being $470 for 6 months with State Farm.

The thing that really surprised me was that State Farm classifies the E as a "Sport Wagon" vs a "SUV".....sweet!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Due to my age, my wife's and my impeccable driving record and the lack of chillun on the policy, Liberty Mutal only hits me up for $1200 per year. But that's for three cars, two with full coverage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts