Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in febuary i was very pleased to find that my insurance had climbed from $1400 a yr for my 91 Integra to just over $2000 for my E.Tuesday morning i opend my mail to discover one hell of a b-day present.My policy was up for renewal and they jacked it up another $600.At 35 with a spotless driving record....having not so much as a single ticket for anything in the last 13 years this has left me shaking my head.Whats everyone paying for insurance?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I normally wouldn't give the broker's name, but I pay around $1600 anually with Motors Insurance Corporation. My IBM group rate with the Personal was $1800. I have encouraged people to call Motor's before, for some reason they seem to have really good rates.

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:0b5b7d4836="lizzurd"]Back in febuary i was very pleased to find that my insurance had climbed from $1400 a yr for my 91 Integra to just over $2000 for my E.Tuesday morning i opend my mail to discover one hell of a b-day present.My policy was up for renewal and they jacked it up another $600.At 35 with a spotless driving record....having not so much as a single ticket for anything in the last 13 years this has left me shaking my head.Whats everyone paying for insurance?[/quote:0b5b7d4836]

Well I don't drive an E. I drive a 95 Acura Integra. I pay roughly $1600 per year. 28/M with one speeding ticket (88 km/h in a 60... with cornfields on the one side I might add on a very wide 4-lane highway. Cop ticketed me at 80.) Other than that, my driving record is clean.

When I got this car, I was 22/23 and paid $2160 for the first year. That was 1998/1999. At one point, it dropped to $1200 per year but went back to $2100. I then switched companies and they are charging me now $1600.

Still in the market for an "E". Maybe wait for the 04's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This post has hit close to home. The element will be my first car in 9 years. My wife and I have been frequent weekend renters, and therefore have not had to carry insurance. Age 35, I have been licensed for 17 years with only one speeding ticket 13 years ago. Could only find 1 insurance company who recognized my past record. Several others quoted rates above the $3,500 level. The one that I found, and will be signing with, has quoted me just under $2,100. Quite discouraging after the recent news release about drivers in other provinces paying about 1/3 of what Ontario drivers are.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This Insurance business is a complete scam. Just today I received my renewal policy and my rates went up more than 100% :evil: . They are now quoting me $4065/yr. Both my wife and I have clean records and have been insured for more than 10 yrs each. I have until Oct 1 to find a new company and drop these guys. I am currently with Scottish & York.

Any and I mean any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess I shouldn't complain too much any more. I pay $850 per year on the '97 Chev Express with full coverage, $300 deductible, and 1 million liability. I pay $1250 per year on the Element. It is fully covered as a vehicle commuting to Toronto, $500 deductible, and no depreciation; also 1 million liability. The Insurer is RBC General Insurance. We do all of our business with them over the phone via an 800 number. There is no broker involved and the service has been good. It is part of the Royal Bank Group. My wife and I do have clean driving records going back over 30 years.
We did move back to Ontario 4 years ago from BC and the insurance rates here were a real shock compared to the low rates in BC.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check Royal Bank Insurance, www.rbc.com. I delt with a broaker for 15 years and the rates kept going up. I've been dealing with RBC and was suggested that I get a quote from them. I saved over $600.00 a year and they gave me lower rates on my house insurance.

I asked my broker to at least match RBC or give me a good reason for thier increase and they never even replied.....snooze you lose.

I'm 53, good driving record (one speeding ticket three years ago) and I'm paying about $1800.00 a year. Still FAR more than it should be, but much cheaper than others.

Maybe "ERNIE" will follow through and do somwthing about it..........LOL

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wow....what is the current Us $1 to Canadian $1??

I guess I am just shocked as to insurance rates in Canada.....why so high??

In the US I pay $950/year for my E...I am 27, have one accident, 1 speeding ticket. My husband and I get a multiple car and good driver (no incidents in over 3 years), and multiple policies (renters, 2 cars, jewlery policies).

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:d91b06cba8="StLouisPenguin"]Wow....what is the current Us $1 to Canadian $1??

I guess I am just shocked as to insurance rates in Canada.....why so high??

In the US I pay $950/year for my E...I am 27, have one accident, 1 speeding ticket. My husband and I get a multiple car and good driver (no incidents in over 3 years), and multiple policies (renters, 2 cars, jewlery policies).[/quote:d91b06cba8]

1 USD = 1.360. So at $950/year, that's $1292 which really is in-line with Canadian rates. So are insurance rates aren't too bad. The problem is that they are increasing very fast. The insurance companies have "excuses" such as lost profits due to 9/11.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I tried the TD site and got the pdf file.
RBC was $4155/ yr

I had a "pleasant" conversation with my insurance broker yesterday and I was told that the increase was due to my postal code. Apparently the entire area was hit with massive increases and there is nothing they can do about it. So I went online and tested the theory. I entered my info and received a quote of $4155/yr from RBC, I then changed the postal code to that of my friends in Bolton and guess what..........the quote was now $1859/yr from RBC. This is utterly ridiculous. How can the same car cost more than twice as much to insure in a different area? Like I said I have a completely clean record.

It looks like I'm SOL unless I move (not an option right now) :cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do 120000kms per year and pay about $1800 per year for 2 drivers with clean records. I am with a small town, local property and casualty mutual insurance company, don't want anything to do with the big boys.

paperman

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was quoted about $1,300 for a Y-package Element: $2,000,000 liability, $1000 deductible. The company I currently use is Chieftain, which is a division of Dominion Insurance.

Check out http://www.kanetix.com: They provide simultaneous online quotes for a dozen or so Canadain insurance companies. That's how I found Chieftain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Details:

How old are you (and anyone else on the plan)

Do you have any other insurance with this company i.e. car, house

Any other members part of the auto policy?

Are you an occassional Driver

Name of company

Do you (or anyone else in family) work for this company and are getting a discount

Thanks ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
My insurance company is Waterloo, I'm 31 yrs, also have my house and my wife's Beetle insured with them. I am the primary driver, wife secondary, and I use it for going to work. I don't work for the company but I get a group rate through my work.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just did an online seardh ans was quoted anywhere from 2450 to 4600.
thats just plain outragous.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts