Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes! I purchased it for $60 on Craigslist from someone parting out a 2006 tsx. RBB will be stamped on it, I forget where but you’ll see it. The chamber is bigger on the RBB and I think the individual runners are a different length. The gaskets matched up perfectly and were re-useable.

The bigger chamber makes the lower bracket unusable unless modified. It gets in my way when I bleed my clutch so it’s not used.

You will see more midrange power than ever before and compared to the price I paid for the injen intake and catback it’s a no-brainer.
intake was installed 10 years ago, intake manifold was installed 6 years ago and the exhaust is a year old.

The exhaust sounds wimpy with some unwanted drone compared to the custom exhausts on my s2k and TL type S (which are louder but easier on the ear)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry, your ‘05 and my ‘06 are the same, I mistakingly thought yours was an ‘07

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Man, I am so torn on this Injen exhaust. I don't want any drone. I am tempted to just do the RBB manifold mod and the headers and forget the exhaust. Would that be crazy? I have looked back on this forum and a few guys in recent years have got the Injen cat-back system and payed an extra $100 for a stainless steel resonator to welded right after the cat. At that point, what am I really paying $700 for? An Injen muffler I am trying to cancel out with a resonator and then a tail pipe? I will probably end up buy it, I just wish there were better options.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Man, I am so torn on this Injen exhaust. I don't want any drone. I am tempted to just do the RBB manifold mod and the headers and forget the exhaust. Would that be crazy? I have looked back on this forum and a few guys in recent years have got the Injen cat-back system and payed an extra $100 for a stainless steel resonator to welded right after the cat. At that point, what am I really paying $700 for? An Injen muffler I am trying to cancel out with a resonator and then a tail pipe? I will probably end up buy it, I just wish there were better options.
don't we all. Peter measured the effective diameter of the cat-converter at something like 1.8" at its narrowest, so that's the choke point. opening up the exhaust past that point may not increase the flow very much, but it will make more noise. I have the Yonaka cat back and it drones annoyingly at 3K rpm, but the burble near idle and slowing down on compression almost make it worth it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Man, I am so torn on this Injen exhaust. I don't want any drone....have got the Injen cat-back system and payed an extra $100 for a stainless steel resonator to welded right after the cat. At that point, what am I really paying $700 for?
Chiming here searching other topics. I bought a complete Injen exhaust with a stainless Flowmax resonator installed as you describe. There is no drone. It was certainly peppier vs. stock, but I can't compare sound/performance without the resonator.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Chiming here searching other topics. I bought a complete Injen exhaust with a stainless Flowmax resonator installed as you describe. There is no drone. It was certainly peppier vs. stock, but I can't compare sound/performance without the resonator.
What flomax (I assume you meant flowmaster:ROFLMAO:) resonator did you use Chuckc? Do you still have the part #? Did you weld it on right after the cat? Ok, back to my original question does anyone here think it would be crazy to to do just the RBB and headers mod alone and additional tuning without catback exhaust?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think it would be crazy to have a stock cat-back with rbb and tuning !
She can’t breathe!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I am thinking RBB manifold AND a header to help with the air coming out. I figure it all has to go through the cat anyways. I am considering doing a straight pipe through the cat and keeping stock exhaust.That way it will look just fine for emissions. Anyone done that before? Then again, I don't want to be a polluter. I bet are cat is so restrictive since the E is a "low emissions vehicle". It's not like they make a high flow cat for our cars. Sigh...

Update: So I just did some research on the DC 4 2 1 shorty header ACH6514 that seems to be the header of choice for our Element after modifying the flange. Tuns out that it produces minimal gains and does not appear to be drastically different than our original header by looking at it. Some people who put it on their RSX mentioned a ticking noise at idle, we are talking a gain of maybe 2hp. Best bet would be a racing header made for for the RSX... but that would require much fabrication and I would have to get rid of the cat and be illegal. Now I'm having second thoughts on this header mod.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
New update on headers options. So I did some more research and found some long tube headers WITH a high flow cat that fit the RSX. So feasibly this should fit the Element also with some modifications, right? What do you all think about this idea paired with the Injen cat back exhaust? Can anyone educate me on the pros and cons of doing a header/exhaust system like this? This would be a big investment requiring some serious fabrication. Some complaints I have read about headers are that they leak, or hit the say bars. Are they supposed to move? I certainly do not want to hear clunking noises when I am shifting gears. Has anyone put headers on their car before? Please chime in and help me understand how headers work and what you all think of this idea. Link to said headers is below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New update on headers options. So I did some more research and found some long tube headers WITH a high flow cat that fit the RSX. So feasibly this should fit the Element also with some modifications, right? What do you all think about this idea paired with the Injen cat back exhaust? Can anyone educate me on the pros and cons of doing a header/exhaust system like this? This would be a big investment requiring some serious fabrication. Some complaints I have read about headers are that they leak, or hit the say bars. Are they supposed to move? I certainly do not want to hear clunking noises when I am shifting gears. Has anyone put headers on their car before? Please chime in and help me understand how headers work and what you all think of this idea. Link to said headers is below.

:pla-858513787104&abcId=1140476&merchantid=108116232&gclid=Cj0KCQiApaXxBRDNARIsAGFdaB_UrGncZurFqEoa1lTCB4FiVtWMro5188BEYKPwbUi--kSu-NmY5M4aAvdXEALw_wcB[/URL]
It “should” fit the element just fine! You will definitely have a more efficient flowing exhaust system. Another thing to think about would be ECU tuning, typically there are minimal gains from just slapping on a full exhaust/intake combo. The only cons i can think of would be throwing a code and possibly having a check engine light down the line from the O2 sensors inline with the exhaust.

long tube headers are typically tuned for cars that spend a lot of time in higher rpm range. i suppose it depends on the intent you have with the car, if it were me i would look for “shorty” headers for better low-mid range power. There is a company called PLM that makes a variety of “replica” bits for the k series; i wouldnt be surprised if the ebay stuff had some issues further down the line.

overall, id say its a cool idea! Its exciting to see people looking at the element in this light. Find a trustworthy exhaust shop and see if they cant fab you up a better sounding exhaust than the injen, probably run about the same after shipping.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Website for reference; PLM headers

p.s. i am in no way affiliated with this company, strictly for reference
Thanks for the feedback. My tuner can handle ECU changes easy. I was initially going the route of shorty headers but from the reviews I read from RSX owners was that there was barely any gain. Most said they regretted the purchase and wish they had gotten long tube headers. I have also looked of pics of the aftermarket shorty headers and the stock Element headers and they look almost exactly the same. I really would prefer shorty headers because it would be less fabrication and I could keep my cat converter stock, but is it worth it? Can anyone chime in on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. My tuner can handle ECU changes easy. I was initially going the route of shorty headers but from the reviews I read from RSX owners was that there was barely any gain. Most said they regretted the purchase and wish they had gotten long tube headers. I have also looked of pics of the aftermarket shorty headers and the stock Element headers and they look almost exactly the same. I really would prefer shorty headers because it would be less fabrication and I could keep my cat converter stock, but is it worth it? Can anyone chime in on this?
rsx owners are probably disappointed in the short tube headers because they have more top end gains, most rsx owners are probably also winding out their engines for that application. Keep in mind the rsx uses a significantly different engine from ours, having smaller displacement and more room to stretch its legs on the top-end (not to mention a real v-tec system) I would ask your tuner for their feedback too. Normally long tube headers have a torque flat spot in low-mid range; having peak torque probably where their vtec engagement point begins. Like i said, if your looking for more hp and torque closer to redline, go for long tubes. I think the shorty headers offer a more usuable performance bump where you would be spending the majority of your driving time.

You could keep your stock cat, but that would be the next bottle neck. If youre in california or a state that requires it for smog, the best bet would be to place the cat back on for smog only, but you would fail visual test based on the aftermarket headers regardless. I guess the question you should ask yourself is what you want from the setup.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
rsx owners are probably disappointed in the short tube headers because they have more top end gains, most rsx owners are probably also winding out their engines for that application. Keep in mind the rsx uses a significantly different engine from ours, having smaller displacement and more room to stretch its legs on the top-end (not to mention a real v-tec system) I would ask your tuner for their feedback too. Normally long tube headers have a torque flat spot in low-mid range; having peak torque probably where their vtec engagement point begins. Like i said, if your looking for more hp and torque closer to redline, go for long tubes. I think the shorty headers offer a more usuable performance bump where you would be spending the majority of your driving time.

You could keep your stock cat, but that would be the next bottle neck. If youre in california or a state that requires it for smog, the best bet would be to place the cat back on for smog only, but you would fail visual test based on the aftermarket headers regardless. I guess the question you should ask yourself is what you want from the setup.
Thanks for the feedback Hondadaddy, it's helpful.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts