Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:1dcb5168b5="eleMentalCase"]http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=08247296

I'm not sure whether it's a compliment or a curse for the Element?!?!?

What do y'all think?

Steve[/quote:1dcb5168b5]

I think they got it just right. I had to stop at Discount Tire yesterday 'cause I picked up a large nail in the left rear tire. While I was waiting to pull into a service bay, a couple older than me (I'm 42) walked all around the E, checking it out.

Once I got into the bay, the young guys working there didn't really pay it any attention. Only the service lead took any notice. I put him at around 24, and he was mostly interested in the room and trying to sell me chrome rims... 8)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The article doesn't speak well for either location. Pimpmobile? The E is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Personally, having a couple of teens myself, I believe young Caitlin didn't want to seem uncool by liking something dear old unc was driving. As for the Toyotas, the "box" looks okay, but the other one is another Focus, Matrix, etc clone. I had a Focus ZX3 and it was initially well received by the masses, until every other car on the road was a Focus, then it was boring. I don't think the E is going to follow the same path, and maybe the price has something to do with that. ANY car put on the market for cheap (KIA) will find an audience. If you make aftermarket parts available for the kids to fix them up, you're going to sell millions. In this regard I wish Toyota luck.

Oh ya, what's with the LA folks not even checking out the E? Are they waiting for a stretch E before they take notice?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't mind at all if the Element isn't "cool" enough for the younger crowd. I guess it might mean fewer aftermarket parts, but it also means the E will be less of a target if nobody pays it attention.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My daugher is nineteen and thinks the Toyota Echo looks great. Yucck. OTOH, my eleven year old son likes the Element over the Toyotas in the article.

You know what the younger generation really likes? Mitsubishi's. And half of that is only because of the base heavy MTV type commercials.

If Honda wasn't so conservative a company, they would copy Mitsu's ads and have an Element driving slowly down the boulevard holding a hip diverse group of young people with music blaring with a heavy bass beat. No details or specs about the vehicle necessary.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The toyotas aren't for everyone, much like the E isn't for everyone, but honestly in my experience with my E it has been people younger than I am (I am 27) checking it out, maybe it is because I am in the conservative midwest. A chic at work (24) is in love with my E, and was the first person that wasn't related to me to go for a ride in it! And on friday when we had the Viper alarm & entry, sidesteps, and Sony 10 disc CD changer installed....the young (maybe 21-22) tech guy was all about the E....and even told my husband "I think I found my new car" and when my husband told him that they had a DX with no stereo he was stoked!

My personal feeling on the new Toyotas is that they will sell, after all Toyota and it's companies make the cars with the fewest consumer issues/complaints in the USA....plus given the fact that the Xa and Xb are priced to move I think they will do just that.

But as far as looks go I think the Xb looks like a lowered version of the Mersades "boxy" SUV, and while I love the look of the mersades the Xb just doesn't do it for me, and actually comes off looking a little creepy, like a modern hearse....and for the Xa....it looks like a Vibe or Matrix to me....and I don't really want to drive a sation wagon! But these of course are just my opinions....take them as just that.

I love my E for all my own reasons, and honestly I don't care who it was marketed for or who is buying it....if you are 20 or 80 if it is the right car for you, then it is the right car for you! If only all soccer moms could experienec the joy of driving the E, the world just might be a happier place :wink:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I followed this for years. The xB is a very old car in Japan. It may work here at least for a while. The good part is the wide accessories and lower price. In fact yota may be selling these things at a loss. Honda had never supported a lot of accessories the aftermarket did it for them. Look at us looking for this and that, waiting for this and that. The Element design may seem too earnest. Too much going on for young people The xB is dead simple and straight as a box. Thats maybe the beauty of it. No pretentions and ready for slamming. I hope the accessories are cheap. But this design may tire quickly. Good thing is limited availability in CA. Thats a Honda trick. Restrict supply so desire and exclusivity increases. I have seen 4 Elements on the road around here.

But youth has no money. As Mits found out. Its in trouble with bad loans to young people. Honda will reach the young people thru used sales eventually. Soak the boomers first. They got money.

·
Registered
338 Posts
People want to compare them, but the Scion is not like the Element.

The Element is versatile and functional. The Element can be used for kayaking, canoeing, skiing, camping, etc.

The Scion does NOT have enough power to be anything other than an around town econobox. It cannot be used functionally to do anything close to the Element. I can't see it having Four wheel or AWD with 105 horsepower. This thing has less horses than a civic (the lower powered Civic). The Scion is for URBAN high school kids.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Like most critques, this is simply one man's opinion. My E still draws stares comments on a daily basis. This weekend was my wifes family pow-wow and several people came over to get a close look at it. Afterwards, my wife told me we probably sold at least 2 E's that weekend. Frankly, i'm not worried about the Scion taking sales from the E. The world seems polarized between Honda buyers and Toyota buyers. I'm a Honda man so that's what I buy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm just not getting the Scion thing. I must not be part of the demographics. To me it looks like a late 70's - early 80's Japanese wagon that has an airdam on the front. Granted I haven't seen one in person. Maybe they give a different impression up close. To me they are going after different markets. The Element seems to be aimed at the "Hey dude, lets go snowboarding this weekend" crowd while the Scion seems to be saying "Hey dude, lets go to the midtown Stake n' Shake tonight." I think Honda has missed the target group but tapped a much richer vein. Will the Scion do the same?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have owned and raced alot of nice cars. (Callaway,M3 etc etc). I purchased a black EX awd 3 weeks ago. The main reason was my lifestyle. I am 40, I Surf and/or wakeboard everyday. I am always in the water. This left alot of my previous vehicle smelling like low tide. I was hesitant about buying the E. But my whole life I kept saying I want a vehicle I could take a hose to. FINALLY! I also own a P/T cruiser and a isuzu 4x4 Rodeo with swamp tires on it. I got tired of pulling boards in and out of my rodeo the seats were always wet. I carry alot boards!
I can honestly say of all the vehicles I owned this gets the most attention. Not so much while driving as stopped. When I am at the grocery store women constantly take to me about. Kids are amazed at how easy it is for getting boards in and out. The little kids love it especially the tent. I think teenagers are afraid commenting on it until it finds its nich. Honda built it for the 20 somethingers but the average owner is 41.
I DON"T CARE WHAT ANYBODY SAYS THIS CAR HAS MADE MY LIFE EASIER AND NOT SO SMELLY. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw my first Scion in person today. It's just plain ugly. The E on the other hand is cool, retro and futuristic at the same time. The more I look at the E's, the more I like them. The more I drive my E, the more I like it too. It was a good move on my part. Very functional, and funky!
Mesadude 8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
[quote:b5b01c7ee5="StLouisPenguin"]

...and actually comes off looking a little creepy, like a modern hearse....[/quote:b5b01c7ee5]

There was something about the Xb that really turned me off. I think you hit the nail on the head. It does look like a little, lowered hearse. Of course I knew this girl when I was a teenager that actually drove a hearst, so this may appeal to the younger set.

As for the marketing on the Xb...I don't see any 30-50 somethings purchasing the vehicle like the Element. I don't think it has the wide appeal like an Element. I think Toyota may have definately marketed themself into a niche. I just don't see high school kids carrying around 15k. But I guess some parents have deep pockets.

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote:e92bcb9082="ElementalWon"]But I guess some parents have deep pockets.[/quote:e92bcb9082]
Umm, yeah. I hang out on a Pocket PC forum where there's a guy in 11th grade who rides his "IT" Segway scooter to school and had to get a new $700 PocketPC because his current one is big and bangs around in his cargo pants when he turns corners.

I guess I'm just jealous of some of these kids today. When I was in 11th grade, my CAR didn't even cost $700. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
There was an IndyCar race here last weekend and they had a Scion xB on display tricked out with a ton of speakers in the back (Pioneer was displaying it). I thought it was small and rather plain looking. I wasn't very impressed. The engine in that thing is tiny (VVTI 4 cylinder). Price is what will sell that car, and Honda would be well served to hold the line on prices for 2004 for the Element.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just curious if anyone on the west coast has actually gone to the dealership to look at and chat with the sales staff?

I would be curious to know their sales pitch.....esp if one was to pull into the dealership lot in an E!

Knowing me I would go to the dealership (if I was on the west coast) just to see if the sales force tried to trash talk the E.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You hit the nail on the head! Where I live is possibly the least conseritive part of the country being near the NYC suburbs, This is why the E gets lots of the comments that it gets. I almost feel like a rebel driving it because I get lots of comments about it that are bad. It is amazing how many people have BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Cadilac SUV's here and that is what seems to be the standard here. As for the Scion XB, I would love to see it in person, I can't wait to check it out. My girlfriend is in the market for a new car and she love my "E" and she may consider the Scion as well. Hence "she is from California" which is where the Scion is being sold as of right now and they like it.

[quote:62214ba754="StLouisPenguin"]The toyotas aren't for everyone, much like the E isn't for everyone, but honestly in my experience with my E it has been people younger than I am (I am 27) checking it out, maybe it is because I am in the conservative midwest. A chic at work (24) is in love with my E, and was the first person that wasn't related to me to go for a ride in it! And on friday when we had the Viper alarm & entry, sidesteps, and Sony 10 disc CD changer installed....the young (maybe 21-22) tech guy was all about the E....and even told my husband "I think I found my new car" and when my husband told him that they had a DX with no stereo he was stoked!

My personal feeling on the new Toyotas is that they will sell, after all Toyota and it's companies make the cars with the fewest consumer issues/complaints in the USA....plus given the fact that the Xa and Xb are priced to move I think they will do just that.

But as far as looks go I think the Xb looks like a lowered version of the Mersades "boxy" SUV, and while I love the look of the mersades the Xb just doesn't do it for me, and actually comes off looking a little creepy, like a modern hearse....and for the Xa....it looks like a Vibe or Matrix to me....and I don't really want to drive a sation wagon! But these of course are just my opinions....take them as just that.

I love my E for all my own reasons, and honestly I don't care who it was marketed for or who is buying it....if you are 20 or 80 if it is the right car for you, then it is the right car for you! If only all soccer moms could experienec the joy of driving the E, the world just might be a happier place :wink:[/quote:62214ba754]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with the comment that the SCION or XB is for urban high school kids. Really, the engine is tiny.

If you have to get on a highway - you won't be able to pass anyone - you may even have trouble merging. The engine is so small and the vehicle is not aerodynamic.

It is certainly for an different audience than the Element. The SCION competition will be the base CIVIC much more so than the Element. And Toyota may have been going in that direction ... the numbers on the base Civic's engine line up very closely to the SCION. Of course, the SCION will be heavier and less aerodynamic (than the Civic)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts