Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed any kind of netting in the interior that would provide overhead-type storage in the E? I've seen this on the Land Rover in expeditions where they try to maximize interior storage. I've always thought that auto manufacturers really neglect to utilize the interior for proper storage. I know there are liability issues that probably account for most of that reluctance. I'd like to see tie-down type hooks and mounting points for some storage possibilities on the interior roof and sides to hold lightweight items.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
people always overload things so i doubt it will ever happen. i mean look at what the hitch is rated for on our truck and some of the things people try to carry with it :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
the grab handles for the back seats and the rear latch/tether hooks on the ceiling make for four anchor points. You could run some line between them and connect a net of some kind. Some members have done that already to hold all kinds of odd items.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
the grab handles for the back seats and the rear latch/tether hooks on the ceiling make for four anchor points. You could run some line between them and connect a net of some kind. Some members have done that already to hold all kinds of odd items.
I've experimented with lines between those points, and found that the line has to be quite tight, otherwise they sag with any load, getting the way of back seat passengers or campers.

When camping the back, I rig net pockets between the grab handles and the upper shoulder strap anchors. On the road, I rig those same pockets, along bungees across the middle of the car, to act as a vertical barrier - keeping gear in the back from sliding forward. This is with a 4' platform in place of the rear seats.

·
Registered
188 Posts
not that anyone plans this , but in the event of a collision , stuff flies about the interior , keep solid heavy stuff low , fluffy light stuff high ... Mythbusters did a bit on the killer kleenex box as it flies off the rear dash , the tissue box was not fatal , but other things could be.... :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
yes, with the raised rear seats there isn't a lot of room for things overhead. As with any rigging, it needs to be tight or it will sag. I tried something at one point but gave up because it really was in the way of things. I think the only thing that would work up there is like a storage loft while camping or a fishing rod holder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts