Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just want to say that this site has helped me do so many things to my E. I have a question. I had on one of my old cars a solenoid hooked up to my rear hatch and my remote so I could just hit a button and the rear hatch would unlock and pop the hatch open enough to just open it without using the handle. My question is this possible to do with the element? And can most alarm installers do this or is it a custom fabrication type of thing? :confused: :-o

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Re: Hatch Question

i installed a selenoid for the rear hatch that's controlled by my alarm remote...

however, the shocks on the E don't allow the hatch to "pop-up" automatically. i intially tried to put springs where the rubber feet things are on either side of the rear hatch, but in order for the springs to provide enough power to pop the hatch, the hatch wouldn't close properly with any kind of ease. i was going to add a 2nd selenoid on a delay to pop the hatch after the 1st one pulled on the latch, but i haven't had time....

.... and the original latch opening selenoid was installed over a year ago. guess i'm just lazy. i'll post some pix when i have time.

·
Registered
755 Posts

Shen, your second video gave me an idea. When back there, rather than fish around for the keys and the remote (but yeah, keep that feature), how about a button installed in the back of the E that does the same thing?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

deckeda said:
Shen, your second video gave me an idea. When back there, rather than fish around for the keys and the remote (but yeah, keep that feature), how about a button installed in the back of the E that does the same thing?
you could do it quite easily by wiring a switch into the selenoid directly.

oh, and i don't know who asked, but yes it is tied into my alarm system!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Inside Rear Hatch Latch Install

The guys at the factory forgot to put in a way to open the rear hatch from the inside. I picked up a generic hood-latch control cable, popped off the upper rear hatch trim, drilled a hole in the flange that sticks out, fitted the cable, and attached the 'working end' of the cable to the hatch latch, strapping it in place alongside the existing handle cable.

Works a charm, cost $10, took about a half-hour. No more climbing over the front seats to get out when sleeping in back.

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
Re: Inside Rear Hatch Latch Install

Wow, I must say that is a very cool and useful mod...I'll say that some mods added in the name of convenience here leave a little to be desired, but this one is really nice and actually serves a purpose...I may have to do this one myself since I've been in need of an inside rear hatch release a handful times.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

An alternative is to drill a 1" finger hole in the center of the plastic directly over latching mechanism. This handle may be easier to use.

While I drilled such a hole some time ago, I haven't used it much. I've been either camping with a tailgate tent, or a side awning, so I usually exit from the side doors.

paulj

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

one of the first things i did when i got the E was install a solenoid on the inside that's operated by my alarm system. the only thing is, the hydaulic lifts aren't built to allow the hatch to open on its own so i don't have a "real" remote hatch release... it works great for camping though!

Although the lo-tech way is the easiest way... i like to complicate things un-necessarily with technology. ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts

Nice to see other folks have taken a run at this. I was aiming at bit higher than paulj's hole-in-the-gate, but lack the temerity to tackle the electronics of sheniferous' solenoid.

The problem with the method I used is, it won't open the hatch if it's locked. Hey, I'm doin' my best here...and with a budget of $10, it's at least a step in the right direction.

Now... could one just add a button (like the one on the driver's-side armrest) to trigger the existing lock solenoid from the tailgate?

·
Registered
94 Posts

RainDriver said:
The guys at the factory forgot to put in a way to open the rear hatch from the inside. I picked up a generic hood-latch control cable, popped off the upper rear hatch trim, drilled a hole in the flange that sticks out, fitted the cable, and attached the 'working end' of the cable to the hatch latch, strapping it in place alongside the existing handle cable.

Works a charm, cost $10, took about a half-hour. No more climbing over the front seats to get out when sleeping in back.
Could you provide more detailed instructions for us mechanically challenged people? I'd like to do the same!

·
Registered
284 Posts

Ok, instructions.
Remove the trim panel. Pull out the hand-inset well on the bottom edge, where you'll also find one (1) plastic screw, close to the latch. The screw may need a bit of prying as well as un-screwing. Then you just 'pop' the panel off, it is held on with plastic fasteners and takes a pretty good tug.

I drilled a hole in the upper corner edge of the panel, where it seems to stick out for no obvious reason. This puts the handle in a location where it's not likely to get bumped. The hole is matched to the size of the control cable that you use. I found a generic car hood 'control cable,' which is like a bicycle brake with a wire sliding inside a sleeve. The cable fastens to the hatch trim with a nut underneath, you have to clear away a bit of plastic fin material.

The tricky part is attaching the working end of the cable, while simultaneously holding the trim approximately in place. I couldn't photo this stage, my hands were busy. Hold the trim up roughly in place, then pivot it upwards (moving left toward top of hatch while keeping right in position), you can easily see and work on the hatch latch mechanism, exposed at lower centre, (or, if you lack more than 2 hands, get a helper). Wiggle the real handle a couple times, and you'll see the cable on the lower right of the latch which controls it. There is a spot above the proper cable where you can hook on your extra line. See close-up pic by sheniferous above. He welded in a nice bracket to hold the end of the cable, I just used zap straps.

Then slip the trim back into position, press the clips into place, and you're done.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Raindriver, Your solution to the rear latch problem was very nice. I had started on this route but couldn't see an obvious way to pop off the plastic hatch liner. The Honda dealer had just broken my front door panel taking it off so I was a bit timid. Is there a trick?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

recyclobent said:
Raindriver, Your solution to the rear latch problem was very nice. I had started on this route but couldn't see an obvious way to pop off the plastic hatch liner. The Honda dealer had just broken my front door panel taking it off so I was a bit timid. Is there a trick?
There are some pics on post #56 of this thread that may help.

·
Registered
2 Posts

For those interested. NAPA auto parts carries a manual clutch control that is black. This part works fine. Installed in 45 minutes.

Thanks for all of the posts! This was a much needed mod!

Eric

·
Registered
192 Posts
Shen, where did you find that solenoid, and how is it powered? My limited knowledge of this type of install would make me guess it'd need to be on an always on line, but I don't know of any near the rear hatch since I haven't been in there much (well, at all yet). I'm interested in doing this mod and placing a release button in the fog light pop panel, but I don't know enough about the electonics to make it all work. Your pictures are great, but can you go in to a little more detail? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Custom interior latch for the rear hatch!

I recently installed a interior latch for the rear hatch. I camp in the "E" all the time and have to crawl to the front to let myself out of the back.

I read a few post on custom latches for the back hatch. I gave it a shot and it really turned out great.

Went to Pep Boys and got a replacement hood release set. Got home and pulled off the inside trim to the rear clam-shell. I cut the pull wire to length and slid the end through the top of the existing lever for the outside latch (inside the rear door). I connected the stop (comes in the hood kit) to the end of the wire. Then I drilled a small hole through the top of the interior trim piece that I removed. Fed the metal bar (the bar is attached to the wire that comes in the kit, the plactic handle slides over the bar and has a small pin that holds it together) through the hole and snapped the interior trim back in place and I was done. I will post pictures of the install because it is easier to show than explain! Thanks for the posts that got me started!

·
Registered
17 Posts
ramblerdan said:
Shag,

How did you secure the cable sheath?
I know it is a bit archaic but I ran the cable behind the metal framing and the inside trim. I took the rubber/plactic sheath off of an old mower idle lever. I forgot to mention this! I slid the small section that I cut out in between the metal frame and the bare wire, where the bare wire would have rested on the frame. I used a strong wire tie to hold it to the metal frame. Since the wire is very taught the pivot point doesn't have much of a load on it. Thanks Rambler this is an important step!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts