Honda Element Owners Club banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts

Had to shave off some of this with a diamond disc on dremel. Bigger size too big. Smaller size too small.
Forgot to add, these are "Clamp Set" clamps "for 3/16" wire rope" from Home Depot. Lehigh product number #7310. UPC 0 71514 05520 6

·
Registered
22 Posts
i started to read this thread and told my self i had to try this right away. so i went to the garage 30 minutes ago and came up with a system that kept the pull tab rear seats alive in my rear hatch. all i needed was a single shoe string. tied a knot on the lock, threaded through a hole to give me an upward angle and now it sits on the pass. side of the rear wiper. cut it and then used the other piece to tie round the latch at the end of the bike brake cable and threaded it right above the blue piece that holds the housing in place for my upward angle. tied an knot on end of both strings so they won't fall under the panel and ta duh! i can now unlock my rear hatch and open it with out using the side doors with just a shoe string.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Decided to shoestring method today. Off the bat it started going bad when I dropped the plastic screw and it must have slipped into the forth ****ing dimension. :x ehh screw it I thought, I'll find it when it brighter outside, it's in the driveway. Got to removing the panel and the ****er would not come off, no biggy just give it a tug... SNAP CRACK *obscenity of choice*.

In the end It works, just hooked a loop up (this time). But loosing something and cracking the panel I can't feel happy with my work. I'm not blaming anyone here I'm just bummed and wished I was thrilled about this very useful mod.

pictured after I was done. Doesn't look like anything else busted

·
Registered
46 Posts
Electric Door Lock & Electric Hatch Release

Here is what I did on the rear hatch (see photos). The switch on the left is a round SPDT momentary on-off-on, and operates the door locks. The switch on the right is a push button momentary on round switch, and operates a solenoid to open the rear hatch.

Easy mod. I just used some old 16g grounded extension cord (you need 3 wires), leave the wires together in the plastic shielding, and ran it all the way from the drivers side fuse box into the hatch. The plastic interior rear side wall only have a couple screws and it pops off, easy to run the wire with plastic cable ties. The door threshold plastic just snaps in place, just lift it up a little and put the extension cord in and snap the threshold in place. By the way, I have the solenoid wire live (always on), so I figured I'd tap into that live wire and add another accessory outlet behind the driver seat.
Everything works great and looks like it belongs there. :-D

Water Material property Automotive exterior Metal Vehicle

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just finished this mod...went with the trunk release style, pretty easy to do- easily the hardest part was getting the trim off...those 9 plastic guys hold in so well, took two people to get it out (one holding door, other pulling trip) - 3 of the plastic guys broke at the base and stayed in the door. Next step is getting an old leather dog leash handle secured in there to pull it down when it's up.

Suggestions if you go the hood release way

- make sure to have strong L brackets, the first ones I had were thin metal and just bent under the pressure....
- really get the cable as close to the original cable, I had it up higher about an inch and it was way too much pressure to pull it open, once I got the bracket closer to the one that's already there it opened very easily.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nice and simple!

When I did this mod, I wanted to be able to lock the doors from the rear, and that meant running some wires from the front to the rear hatch. So since running door lock/unlock wires, just add one more wire and you've got the power wire for the electric latch (3 total, I used an old extension cord wire).
The video shows how the string pull cord method works, and shucks you can always just keep your keys handy to lock and unlock the door. :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
So glad I found this. Especially that I took the time to read 9 pages and came across the YouTube link...simple is best for me. Gonna do this mod and post pics.

Nice again EOC comes through! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used the extremely clever and inexpensive idea of the "bungee ball" manual pull interior release as shown in the forum. It was an easy and inexpensive way to have an interior release for camping. It works great! I realized after installing it that I had completely forgotten to drill and mount the para-cord strap to pull the gate closed with once inside. Feeling lazy and not wanting to take it all back apart to install the woven para-cord handle I had purchased... I dropped $3 a piece on these two different suction cups at Harbor Freight. The littler one works just fine by itself, having all the grip and suction necessary to pull the hatch closed, but the larger one felt like it was practically bolted to the rear hatch due to its increased grip. Just another idea for making an easy rear hatch grab handle. The easiest way to add one, "no holes bored". Ha!
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1730

·
Registered
859 Posts
I used the extremely clever and inexpensive idea of the "bungee ball" manual pull interior release as shown in the forum. It was an easy and inexpensive way to have an interior release for camping. It works great! I realized after installing it that I had completely forgotten to drill and mount the para-cord strap to pull the gate closed with once inside. Feeling lazy and not wanting to take it all back apart to install the woven para-cord handle I had purchased... I dropped $3 a piece on these two different suction cups at Harbor Freight. The littler one works just fine by itself, having all the grip and suction necessary to pull the hatch closed, but the larger one felt like it was practically bolted to the rear hatch due to its increased grip. Just another idea for making an easy rear hatch grab handle. The easiest way to add one, "no holes bored". Ha!
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1730
Looks awesome, nice work! I keep forgetting to do this mod. It's now next on my agenda.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
A manual mechanism for escape from within while camping is a safety MUST. Kinda crazy that Honda messed that up.
They didn't want to be sued by the parents of children who opened the hatch while the car was in motion, and fell out. Making a child-proof release mechanism would probably be too costly to justify. Does any car come with an interior hatch release?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Rotate it 180⁰.
If you want an upside down door handle... Its not as though i have one laying around, so I'm able to just purchase the side I need.

The interior hatch release is a long shot without a rearward facing 3rd row. It feels like you can't be blamed for someone driving around with their kids in the cargo area. (but in our litigious society, who knows)

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Garry, My Apologies. I don't mean to disagree with you. I just think its a moot point for me at this moment. I am going to order a door handle on the web and i get to check a box for driver or passenger side. I'll choose the side that makes the most sense to me with the information I have available. The other doors have the latch on the lower end of the handle so I'll stick with that for now.

If I had already purchased one and ran into issues (which I might, because I'm buying based on the assumption that I can tie into the existing system more effectively from the drivers side: That hypothesis may be wrong) then flipping it 180 degrees is an incredibly viable solution to that problem, I'm just not there yet.

Its a valuable consideration, and I didn't mean to disregard it. You are right - the side doesn't matter and the "upside down" handle may work better for the hatch.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Well, I installed the door handle I linked from ebay. The color is just about perfect and I was able to hook up both the handle, and the lock.

I was surprised at how far the handle had to protrude from the frame to line up with the trim piece.

i used t brackets to hold the thing in place. Making something custom may have worked out better, but this worked out.

I spent most of the time adjusting placement of the handle to line up in the middle of the hole. (I bolted down the handle, measured and cut the hole, and then tried to get the handle to the middle of that hole - as mentioned earlier, most of the adjustment was in bringing it away from the hatch to meet the plane of the trim piece.)

would look like it was from the factory if I was better at cutting holes =).

this is the push rod for the locking mechanism. I guess I could have made something similar for the handle release.

The lock is "backwards" but I just pulled the red sticker off and placed it on the other face of the lock switch.

still can't get these to line up right when I take the pictures, so just tilt your head or monitor accordingly =)

-Ben.

Parts:

a GM FORD door handle clip from HELP! (at auto zone) $2
door handle to a 1992-1996 Camry on Ebay: drivers side $7
smallest steel rod at Home Depot $3
two T Brackets. $4
nuts and bolts (laying around)

Tools: pliers

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I'm confused. If you wanted something that matched, why not use the driver's side inner door handle/lock like I did (post 80)? Perfect match to 'itself', works great, and it was already done (myself and others) so you know it will work.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts